Been waiting and waiting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been waiting and waiting...

Been wanting Maui for a long time....so i deposited two FULL YEARS in advance....and I am trading Escondido/Southern CA so I know I have a ton of trading power (got Kauai previously, Buenos Aires peak season, top Marriott in Phuket, etc.)

I have my heart set on either the Westin Villas or the Marriott Napili/Lahina villas or whatever their called....

I gave them the last week of May and then ALL of June, July AND 3 weeks in August.

I BETTER be hearing soon as the 2013 trades roll in, right?? If I don't get this exchange, just starting to get a lil nervous, I will be quite displeased. There's no WAY between how far out I deposited, and trading power, than I'm not 1st in line LOL.

thoughts?

Do you own a Marriott?
    Marriott owners get 24 day preference before a deposit is released/available to non owners.
    Starwood/Westin has a similar preference but is not As long as Marriott.

I just realized who u r, you own at that place, lol.

What week/date did u deposit?
    That can make. Big difference in your trade power and u r Requesting a high demand school vacation time.

Marriott owners generally deposit one year out. They can deposit without paying maint fee so May-August units have most likely been deposited.
    Originally posted by JDrozen View Post
    Been wanting Maui for a long time....so i deposited two FULL YEARS in advance....and I am trading Escondido/Southern CA so I know I have a ton of trading power (got Kauai previously, Buenos Aires peak season, top Marriott in Phuket, etc.)

I have my heart set on either the Westin Villas or the Marriott Napili/Lahina villas or whatever their called....

I gave them the last week of May and then ALL of June, July AND 3 weeks in August.

I BETTER be hearing soon as the 2013 trades roll in, right?? If I don't get this exchange, just starting to get a lil nervous, I will be quite displeased. There's no WAY between how far out I deposited, and trading power, than I'm not 1st in line LOL.

thoughts?
    Pat
    *** My Website ***

Comment

Originally posted by GrayFal View Post
      Do you own a Marriott?
      Marriott owners get 24 day preference before a deposit is released/available to non owners.
      Starwood/Westin has a similar preference but is not As long as Marriott.

I just realized who u r, you own at that place, lol.

What week/date did u deposit?
      That can make. Big difference in your trade power and u r Requesting a high demand school vacation time.

Marriott owners generally deposit one year out. They can deposit without paying maint fee so May-August units have most likely been deposited.
      When you say "you own at that place, lol" does that mean you think what I have is awful? lol what's "that place" mean? ha. I've been very happy owning there so far, getting every trade and every bonus week trade as well (using bonus week for 2bdrm in Sedona 2 weeks from now), but yeah, please elaborate, I like to learn and you know a lot more than me, haha

I gave II a memorial day week in SD...2 years ago...for 2013...So you're saying May/August is already deposited meaning you don't think we'll get it? I deposited 2 years out and am trading Escondido...I can add MMO and the Kaanapali Beach Club too, that would be 4 resorts and TWELVE weeks. As it is, I think I should get it, given how far in advance I deposited, where I am trading from, and how many weeks I am giving them, but you certainly know better than me, I am no expert. Kinda had my heart set on the Westin or the MM1 villas so I was hoping to get either one of those, but I suppose not like i would be disappointed to get Maui Ocean Club or Kaanapali Beach Club, I may give it til 2/1 and if I haven't heard, then add them.

Also I read somewhere that II now takes ALL weeks from this resort as platinum weeks, so they give the same weighted power now to a week you give them if it's November or June, as long as it's from the Welk in Escondido, it gets ranked the same.

Sometimes this site is down for me, it was down all yesterday...feel free to email/PM me.
      tonyg
      Goomba & Super Moderator
      Last edited by tonyg; 01-05-2013, 02:35 PM. Reason: remove email address

Comment

The problem with requesting the Marriott and the Westin Weeks are both systems give priority to owners in II. So it doesn't matter that you deposited so far ahead, at best you can only hope to be first in line for the leftovers. Even if a Starwood owner requests these resorts the day before the deposit they will get the unit before you. Even if no Starwood owners requested the units, they would go online for 3 weeks for Starwood owners to do an instant exchange before it would go to fulfill the non owners ongoing request. The May weeks and mid August weeks have already been deposited and taken of the Westin units. They showed up online but only if you were searching with a Starwood (Weston or Sheraton) week. I don't think any made it past the priority period. Studios sometimes make it past priority but the last 2 bulk deposits that include you dates have only been 2 bedrooms. Starwood has not been depositing any mid June to early August Maui weeks into II. The same priority goes for Marriott weeks to Marriott owners requesting through II. In addition the Marriott destination club has taken out a fair number of popular weeks that in the past would have been deposited in II. You may see the deposits but not until 0-20 days before the start of each week.

Good luck and if any non starwood or marriott owners get the week it should be you but it may not happen.

Comment

How do you feel about The Whaler? I got this last year for a friend who I believe owns the same resort as you.

Exchange

Villas on the Greens at the Welk Resort
          VLW
          Unit: 1BDRS (1 bedroom)
          Week: 21 Fri, May 27, 2011
          Fri, June 03, 2011 017189904
          Confirmed

Confirmed To:
          SVC @ Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy • KCO
          Unit: 1BED (1 bedroom)
          Week: 24 Fri, June 15, 2012
          Fri, June 22, 2012
          Evaluation Pending

Exchange

Villas on the Greens at the Welk Resort
          VLW
          Unit: 1BDRS (1 bedroom)
          Week: 37 Fri, September 10, 2010
          Fri, September 17, 2010 016020407
          Confirmed

Confirmed To:
          The Whaler • WHA
          Unit: 901 (1 bedroom)
          Week: 23 Wed, June 06, 2012
          Wed, June 13, 2012

This is the unit they received. 901. Top floor, corner unit, wrap around lanai..unobstructed view of Ka'anapali Beach. No-you don't have "resort" type amenities. But how do you deny that location and view..and a pretty nice kitchen to boot.

http://www.mauirealestate.net/GetSea...WhatMLS=348358

I exchange a good deal to Hawaii. My favorite week to go is week 22. I've always received my exchanges no problem. I'm struggling a bit this year as I now have to go during a more traditional summer period (last half of June) but like I told the friends I helped above...if you can go late May to early June-I could guarantee they would match..and BOY did they.

Agree with the others that trying for the "top shelf" brands might lead to disappointment..so please consider adding other resorts...like The Whaler or KBC..the point is to be there. ( I know, I know...I want what I want too..but I'm lowering my standards a bit for my trip this year too)

Another thing I'm noticing this year with II is even with Marriott (I do own one) they seem to be only letting out the inventory a couple months at a time. They are days when sightings show bulk and include summer..but those are gone just as soon as they are sighted. I don't mean snapped up-I mean as if it was a mistake for us to even see them. I do have a studio at Marriott Ko'olina matched for June already. I requested 10/12/12 and matched 11/14/12 BUT that's just a studio and I had preference. Obviously I want a better unit..but a bird in the hand...as they say. The rest of my requests have been in for months.

Still and all, I think if you will add some other resorts...don't go crazy-just come down to whatever your next tier is-I bet you will match for May/early June. JMHO. Good luck and Aloha!
          StressCadet
          Last edited by StressCadet; 01-05-2013, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyHoover View Post
            The problem with requesting the Marriott and the Westin Weeks are both systems give priority to owners in II. So it doesn't matter that you deposited so far ahead, at best you can only hope to be first in line for the leftovers. Even if a Starwood owner requests these resorts the day before the deposit they will get the unit before you. Even if no Starwood owners requested the units, they would go online for 3 weeks for Starwood owners to do an instant exchange before it would go to fulfill the non owners ongoing request. The May weeks and mid August weeks have already been deposited and taken of the Westin units. They showed up online but only if you were searching with a Starwood (Weston or Sheraton) week. I don't think any made it past the priority period. Studios sometimes make it past priority but the last 2 bulk deposits that include you dates have only been 2 bedrooms. Starwood has not been depositing any mid June to early August Maui weeks into II. The same priority goes for Marriott weeks to Marriott owners requesting through II. In addition the Marriott destination club has taken out a fair number of popular weeks that in the past would have been deposited in II. You may see the deposits but not until 0-20 days before the start of each week.

Good luck and if any non starwood or marriott owners get the week it should be you but it may not happen.
            WOW thank you Sally and Stress so much for this info!!!! I think I'll give it another 1-2 weeks and then I'll add MMO and also the Kaanapali Beach Club. Doing that I would expect to then end up at KBC, but that's ok, it rates 91 among all II surveys, given Westin and MMO rate 93...doesn't seem like we're talking about a huge "hit" here in terms of quality...

Thank you again to everyone!

Best,
            Jeff

Comment

When you say "you own at that place, lol" does that mean you think what I have is awful? lol what's "that place" mean? ha. .
              What it means is as I was typing the response I suddenly remembered you (your user name) from when u first joined this site and was asking advice about your ownership....but for the life of me I could not remember "Welk" - it was the Escondido comment that jared my memory. Should have put a smiley as I was smiling when I remembered who you were.
              I gave II a memorial day week in SD...2 years ago...for 2013...So you're saying May/August is already deposited meaning you don't think we'll get it? I deposited 2 years out and am trading Escondido...I can add MMO and the Kaanapali Beach Club too, that would be 4 resorts and TWELVE weeks. As it is, I think I should get it, given how far in advance I deposited, where I am trading from, and how many weeks I am giving them, but you certainly know better than me, I am no expert. Kinda had my heart set on the Westin or the MM1 villas so I was hoping to get either one of those, but I suppose not like i would be disappointed to get Maui Ocean Club or Kaanapali Beach Club, I may give it til 2/1 and if I haven't heard, then add them.

Also I read somewhere that II now takes ALL weeks from this resort as platinum weeks, so they give the same weighted power now to a week you give them if it's November or June, as long as it's from the Welk in Escondido, it gets ranked the same

Sometimes this site is down for me, it was down all yesterday...feel free to email/PM me.
              This has happened to Starwood owners as well in that they assign a 'value' based on overall season and do not allow owners to deposit specific weeks.
              When you look at the II website, they assign top trade power/demand to weeks 22 to 34, so I would still reserve in those weeks for maximum trade power if they allow you to reserve and deposit a specific week.
              I do not want to stay I do not believe the resort in what they are saying - all trade the same - but based on the II chart on the website, that is not the case.
              GrayFal
              Silver Contributor and supermoderator
              Last edited by GrayFal; 01-05-2013, 03:21 PM. Reason: added info.
              Pat
              *** My Website ***

Comment

What it means is as I was typing the response I suddenly remembered you (your user name) from when u first joined this site and was asking advice about your ownership....but for the life of me I could not remember "Welk" - it was the Escondido comment that jared my memory. Should have put a smiley as I was smiling when I remembered who you were.

This has happened to Starwood owners as well in that they assign a 'value' based on overall season and do not allow owners to deposit specific weeks.
                When you look at the II website, they assign top trade power/demand to weeks 22 to 34, so I would still reserve in those weeks for maximum trade power if they allow you to reserve and deposit a specific week.
                I do not want to stay I do not believe the resort in what they are saying - all trade the same - but based on the II chart on the website, that is not the case.
                Oh got it, GrayFal!!

I worry sometimes about getting in and not owning in the Marriott/Starwood "circles" but so far it hasn't been a trading issue and I recognize that trading to Maui, people are just lucky to get anything trading to there, haha. Although we did get the Marriott in Lihue in Kauai which was an AMAZING hotel, on like 9 months notice, back in 2009.

I added Marriott Maui Ocean Club (not sure if that does me any good though since it's a Marriott lol) and the Ka'anapali Beach Club.

II assured me (yeah whatever that is worth) that there is a ton of 2013 inventory they have yet to see since its only 5 days into the year and that im now giving them 4 resorts and 11-12 different weeks, I should get it and hope to hear within a few weeks. If by mid-Feb I haven't heard, I suppose I'll start to be worried.

In the meantime I'm looking forward to our 2bdrm stay in Sedona in a few weeks

Happy trading everyone!!

Comment

Oh got it, GrayFal!!

I worry sometimes about getting in and not owning in the Marriott/Starwood "circles" but so far it hasn't been a trading issue and I recognize that trading to Maui, people are just lucky to get anything trading to there, haha. Although we did get the Marriott in Lihue in Kauai which was an AMAZING hotel, on like 9 months notice, back in 2009.

I added Marriott Maui Ocean Club (not sure if that does me any good though since it's a Marriott lol) and the Ka'anapali Beach Club.

II assured me (yeah whatever that is worth) that there is a ton of 2013 inventory they have yet to see since its only 5 days into the year and that im now giving them 4 resorts and 11-12 different weeks, I should get it and hope to hear within a few weeks. If by mid-Feb I haven't heard, I suppose I'll start to be worried.

In the meantime I'm looking forward to our 2bdrm stay in Sedona in a few weeks

Happy trading everyone!!
                  I should add, I find it super annoying if "top trading" doesn't begin at Memorial Day weekend week (week 21...), some II genius 2 years ago sold me 1 week short of "top trading" power?? ugh.

Thanks for the heads up GrayFal, good to know for the future!

Comment

I should add, I find it super annoying if "top trading" doesn't begin at Memorial Day weekend week (week 21...), some II genius 2 years ago sold me 1 week short of "top trading" power?? ugh.

Thanks for the heads up GrayFal, good to know for the future!
                    week 22-34 was rated the top power 150, week 21 was 145 - so you are STILL really good.

Another thought about Marriott Hawaii Resorts - in the relatively new (2 + years) Marriott Destination Club - Hawaii owners were awarded the highest points per week owner in the entire Marriott system - so if owners are not gong to use their home resort in the week system, they are better off converting their ownership into Destination Points and booking whatever they want in the Marriott system without having to go thru II - this has got to affect what is deposited in II and what will be available for non-Marriott owners.
                    Pat
                    *** My Website ***

Comment

week 22-34 was rated the top power 150, week 21 was 145 - so you are STILL really good.

Another thought about Marriott Hawaii Resorts - in the relatively new (2 + years) Marriott Destination Club - Hawaii owners were awarded the highest points per week owner in the entire Marriott system - so if owners are not gong to use their home resort in the week system, they are better off converting their ownership into Destination Points and booking whatever they want in the Marriott system without having to go thru II - this has got to affect what is deposited in II and what will be available for non-Marriott owners.
                      or even Marriott weeks owners using II......

Unless you (OP) need a 2bd-I'd still put in The Whaler. II codes: WHA, WHL. You just gotta trust me on this.

Comment

Originally posted by StressCadet View Post
                        or even Marriott weeks owners using II......

Unless you (OP) need a 2bd-I'd still put in The Whaler. II codes: WHA, WHL. You just gotta trust me on this.
                        Yup....
                        Pat
                        *** My Website ***

Comment

JRDozen, if you get to a point where you want to pay for a Ka'anapali week, GPX has them for July 2013 for $799. for the week. I could get it for you via guest certificate, which is no charge for the certificate. I get nothing out of it, so I won't want to work too hard to do it.

Comment

I have nothing to add, not being an II savvy person, but I do want to welcome you back.

I am glad you are enjoying your ownership and wish you luck on this trade to the creme de la creme Maui properties. Stranger things have happened.
                            Lawren
                            ------------------------
                            There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
                            - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

Some info about the alternative resorts being discussed here. KBC has a fairly high daily fee that can add approx. $200 to the cost of your trip.

I never stayed at the Whaler but tried to trade into it for years while I was an II member. The location is exactly what we like when we travel. It is walking distance to the beach and multiple choices of restaurants in the adjacent Whaler Shopping center.

Both resorts also have easy access to bus routes that will take you to Lahaina for $1. Since we have done all of the touristy things on Maui, we now save the money we would have spent on renting a car and spend a couple dollars a day on the buses when we want to get out of the resort for a day.

Comment

Working...
                              X