Timeshare Board Members association is moving forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timeshare Board Members association is moving forward

A meeting was held recently in Florida under the sponsorship of Timesharing Today magazine to organize an association of timeshare board members and resort managers of member-controlled timeshare resorts. Now that it is organized, its first conference and board meeting will be held in San Diego, California Oct. 28 to 30.

Whether it is dealing with PCC's, dealing with delinquincies, or dealing with exchange companies and their changing practices, this is a great opportunity for member-controlled timeshare resorts to work together for the common good. I would encourage all HOA board members who are active on this board to look into this opportunity. For more info email HOA@tstoday.com

A similar association, TATOC, has been up and running in Europe for a number of years.

Always fun when you put the people that are responsible for the downfall of Timesharing, in charge of the future of Timesharing

Comment

Your positive approach to incorrect facts is so refreshing to read.

Comment

Originally posted by timeos2 View Post
        Your positive approach to incorrect facts is so refreshing to read.
        Thank you! I feel the same way about your blind, blanket love of any HOA/POA/BOD

Comment

Originally posted by Ridewithme38 View Post
          Thank you! I feel the same way about your blind, blanket love of any HOA/POA/BOD
          See, you can't even get that right. I have NO love for any Developer controlled HOA/POA/BOD - none. In fact it is so strong that despite liking systems such as Wyndham & RCI Points among others I sold my ownerships and reduced them to strictly resorts with owner controlled Boards. While that in itself cannot guarantee a correctly operated Association the odds are overwhelmingly in favor of a better cost/benefit under owner rule. And if they do screw up the owners can & do remove the current Board and replace it with competent members. Impossible under Developer control.

So again a blanket statement of any type is unlikely to fit every case. That goes for HOA's, resellers and most other areas. The one exception may be Developers. They tend to be a bad value to purchase from regardless of the name and almost always are a negative to owners if they maintain control of resorts after a few years of sell out.

Your statements make some wonder why you are even in timeshare in any way.

Comment

I bought some TS that was developer controlled or management company (from the original developer) controlled when I was very green. Having delved into it recently I think they have conflict of interest and do not have sufficient disclosures and there can be behaviour that are questionable.

Are there any code of conduct around or consumer protection rules that one can check?
            Traveling Broadens the mind and I want to do more French Quarter Fest in New Orleans is my favourite festival

Comment

Always fun when you put the people that are responsible for the downfall of Timesharing, in charge of the future of Timesharing
              Ride, you only own at developer-controlled resorts, so how would you know anything at all to pontificate about HOA's at member-controlled resorts? Have you even bothered to attend an annual HOA meeting in the short time you have owned timeshare?

Comment

Originally posted by MaryH View Post
                I bought some TS that was developer controlled or management company (from the original developer) controlled when I was very green. Having delved into it recently I think they have conflict of interest and do not have sufficient disclosures and there can be behaviour that are questionable.

Are there any code of conduct around or consumer protection rules that one can check?
                Good point. There should be. That is something that the TBMA could look into. Email them and suggest it.

Comment

You're thinking about ARDA that has the big developers, etc. TBMA are the owners that take over management after the crap has hit the fan

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinian View Post
                    A meeting was held recently in Florida under the sponsorship of Timesharing Today magazine to organize an association of timeshare board members and resort managers of member-controlled timeshare resorts. Now that it is organized, its first conference and board meeting will be held in San Diego, California Oct. 28 to 30.

Whether it is dealing with PCC's, dealing with delinquincies, or dealing with exchange companies and their changing practices, this is a great opportunity for member-controlled timeshare resorts to work together for the common good. I would encourage all HOA board members who are active on this board to look into this opportunity. For more info email HOA@tstoday.com

A similar association, TATOC, has been up and running in Europe for a number of years.
                    As a board member of one of our resorts, I attend this session in Orlando and found it VERY worthwhile. I would recommend anyone that is a board member to attend at least one. We are a self managed resort and the connections that we were able to develop have already provided value that are generating revenue for the Club and preventing some reinvention of the wheel.

There were no TS developers there. There were a number of different management companies, Redweek, a really good accounting company talking about budgeting, auditing, etc. Orlando police department had two officers telling stories of some of the PCC offices they have raided and how they did it and some of the background. Very cool!

I was also able to meet Shep, who is the editor of Timeshare Today. He is one of the key drivers of TBMA and I was very impressed with the level of energy and dedication he has towards helping move the TS industry to one of education.
                    djyamyam
                    Last edited by djyamyam; 06-04-2012, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Any solutions to the embezzlement and inept money management that keeps raising MF more then double the inflation rate while the level and quality of the resorts keep going down?

These Inept HOA Board members need to be thrown out or at the very least held accountable for the owners they are chasing away...

Comment

Any solutions to the embezzlement and inept money management that keeps raising MF more then double the inflation rate while the level and quality of the resorts keep going down?

These Inept HOA Board members need to be thrown out or at the very least held accountable for the owners they are chasing away...
                        As Steve says your experience limited to the developer controlled HOA means you have no ides how a good owner controlled Board operates. No doubt what you have been subjected to with that type of HOA meets your jaundiced understanding of how things are supposed to be.

If you had dealings with an owner controlled & well run resort you'd change your tune. Since you have obviously been burned by the Developer controlled type have you taken steps to remove them? That is a logical step when any HOA under performs as yours apparently do.

Comment

djyamyam,

Can you share some of what you guys went through about budgeting and auditing?

Thanks,
                          Mary
                          Traveling Broadens the mind and I want to do more French Quarter Fest in New Orleans is my favourite festival

Comment

Here is the associations website:

http://www.tbmassoc.com/

Comment

Thanks Carolinian..

Comment

Working...
                              X