Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please describe one of your favorite Timeshare Resorts and Vacation Experiences!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please describe one of your favorite Timeshare Resorts and Vacation Experiences!

In an attempt to get some timeshare discussions going here again can we start a thread where I would like everybody to take a moment and think about one of your favorite timeshare experiences. Please share what you liked about the resort and the vacation. Please try to be specific as to the resort in case someone else may be interested in trying to go there too!

I will post one of my favorites in this thread below to keep this post short and sweet!

My favorite vacation actually goes back quite a few years now but I have been craving going back so my choice for my review is Attatash Mountain Village in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

The resort itself was a lockout sleeps 8 unit. The unit was very comfortable but I was there before my wife and I were maried so we were there without kids. The White Mountains of New Hapshire had plenty of activities to keep us busy the week including the former Old Man on the Mountain (RIP), the flume, Clarks trading post, Canon Mountain Gondala and hiking, Mount Washington, the Conway Railroad, and much, much more.

The video above is a promotional video from the resort and does help to show more about the resort. It's funny that I have not been there in twenty years or so but I can honestly say it was one of the best vacations of my life and now that our kids are getting older I am anxious to go back again!
    Quarterbore
    Super Moderator
    Last edited by Quarterbore; 06-14-2012, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Marriott Marbella, April 2010

For one of our "milestone" anniversaries, we went to Marbella.

We had a very good exchange from a two bedroom shoulder week to a three bedroom, three bath at Marriott Marbella during school vacation time. Invited our in-laws whose daughter was studying in Spain. She joined us for the week as well. The five of us had wonderful trips to Gibralter, Morocco, and many of the smaller, local towns. The resort is wonderful, the rooms top-notch, and the restaurants on the beach excellent.

Part of what made it so memorable was the ash cloud. On the day before we were due to fly, I booked us on TAP, getting among the last seats on that flight. Sure enough, BA cancelled our long-standing "rewards" flight the morning we were due to fly. So, we flew on TAP to Madrid. The flight was one of two leaving Boston Logan's International terminal that evening. The other? It went to Reykjavik, flying "behind" the ash cloud.

Our niece booked us from Madrid to Malaga on the train (Preferente class is highly recommended!). So, we arrived six hours later than originally planned, met our in-laws who had arrived earlier and had the car, and enjoyed the trip tremendously.

Ash Cloud!

Comment

One of our favorites was our vacation at the Orlando Sunshine in May, 2011. The Sunshine is a small resort -- two long buildings in an L with a smallish pool and a tennis court, not much more -- back by the Fun Spot off International Drive. I never noticed any noise from Fun Spot but we liked watching the colors on the Ferris wheel if we happened to be out on that side at night. Orlando Sunshine in the Bluegreen system, and gets no love there, partly because the other BG Orlando resort is much bigger, has a much flashier pool, and is much closer to Disney World. The other one (the Fountains) has more activities and is gated, too, and in a much prettier location, while Sunshine has guards but no gate, is only a block or two off the busy part of I-Drive, and has big power lines just off property across the back and along one side, although we really didn't notice them from our unit because we were parallel to the ones in the back and mostly faced away from the others (I suspect they dominate the view from the second floor of the second building, though). Orlando Sunshine gets so little love that, even though they've redone all the units, Bluegreen hasn't redone the video, which is half generic Orlando video clips it shares with the Fountains mixed with still photos of Orlando Sunshine before the refurb.

We'd already done the bigger resort, which we thought okay, but since we weren't doing the Disney parks we thought we'd check out Orlando Sunshine and ended up liking it the best. The resorts closer to Disney World that we've seen are sooo high energy; this one was way laid back. It's right across I-4 from Universal Studios, so I'm guessing it's rowdier when the kids are out of school (we home school so went off season), but when we were there it was really quiet -- the pool may be smallish, but we had it to ourselves right regular. And I love the hot tub there -- everyone else is a hot tub fan, but for some reason I get bored rapidly just sitting there, however this one has a wide waterfall to play with, so I actually lasted long enough to have a conversation. And the units in building one are good size, 1380 sq ft for a 2 BR (1300 sq ft in building II), and the lay out worked really well for us -- not least because eldest son had "his own" table in the kitchen so his junk wasn't in everyone's way when they wanted to use the DR table! The refurbished units are quite nice, and the crystal bowl bathroom sinks amused us mightily for some reason. I wonder if someone clued in to what a pain they are to keep clean or something, because I've seen pictures of other refurbed Sunshine I units that didn't have them.

Also, the rattan furniture on the screened porch had big, comfy pillows on it, and one chair had a pillowed hassock, making it essentially a lunge chair without the annoying aspects. I usually just use the porch or balcony for a cup of tea here or there, because I find the chairs so uncomfy to stay out very long (I fractured my tailbone as a kid and it doesn't tolerate hard chairs very long), but eldest and I would lounge around on those chairs watching the shadow of a palm tree move across the end of the other building all afternoon with no pain at all. Those porch chairs may have been crucial to my love of the place.

Eldest son got a city bus pass, so he could take the bus down to SeaWorld (he had an annual pass for SeaWorld; the rest of us just got regular tickets); he thought it ran more regularly than the trolley, plus he could take the bus to downtown Orlando, which he loved. Hubby and eldest daughter and I went to the Tiffany museum in Winter Park, which was stunner. Hubby and some of the kids went to see a shuttle launch. Hubby did some garage sales (he's an addict and we were there almost two weeks). We didn't do the Disney parks but we did drive out to WDW a couple of times and tour some resorts and get a bite to eat. I have a thing about Disney cupcakes, especially those at the Contempo Cafe, and hubby had never tried Dole Whip so we got some at the Poly -- actually we had a whole meal at the Poly, now I think on it, but mostly we just had a snack somewhere and wandered around the resort and rode boats or the monorail or watched the fireworks or whatnot.

There weren't a lot of onsite activities there, but since we'd never done them before that wasn't an issue, however this time the kids did go out to the pool a couple of afternoons and played with the hula hoops or the bubble guns or had some ice cream or did whatever they were doing that day. I think the fact that the resort is so small that the activity was right there made it more worth doing for them. There's a basketball hoop in the tennis court and I love it when places have that because I like to shoot baskets, however I never actually used it because every time I thought of it, it was sunny. And I hate the sun. But I like to know there's one around if I get antsy. I only went swimming in the evenings because the pool is sunny in the afternoons as well, but I'm sure the sunbathers prefer it that way! I prefer an evening swim to one in the afternoon anyhow, while my eldest is old enough I'm fine with the kids being out by the pool if she'll watch them, so it worked out great.

The biggest Orlando Disney outlet store is right near there, in this huge outlet mall -- we just went a couple of times to get cheap pins to trade (middle daughter loves that, and second daughter decided she wanted to do it after all, once she saw how much fun her sister was having); we're not serious shoppers so we just walked to the store we wanted and back. It was busy enough it must be a madhouse during the summer, but for a mall it was kind of pretty and there were guys out demonstrating little R/C helicopters and cars and we slowed a bit to watch that. Dunno why I liked the mall better than the Vineland one with the other Disney outlet store, especially since we've gotten better deals at Vineland and the Vineland one has covered parking, but there it is.

Maybe I just liked that mall better because the vacation as a whole was so relaxed, so it got a bit of an aura from the overall mood. We've had other vacations where the goal was relaxation, and I've enjoyed them, but for some reason this one was the best -- I think because eldest son is the one who isn't into relaxing vacations, and here there were so many other things to do so easily accessible that he wasn't underfoot grumbling about the quiet or getting territorial (since he could claim a space no one else wanted so his stuff never got moved when he was gone) and otherwise interfering with the relaxation vibe!

Edit:

That's more a lengthy review than a brief vacation description, isn't it?

Comment

For me it is hard to single out one from our best exchanges. There are 2 criteria that determines a great exchange for us. One is location and the other is the resort and these usually don't go together.

Our favorite resort is the Grand Mayans at Riviera Maya and Nuevo Vallarta Mexico. It is one resort where we are quite happy to not venture off the resort though we have often done so. The service is great, lots of good food options, great pools, amenities, and excellent accomodations with all the services of a 5* resort ( twice daily housekeeping, room service, etc. ). We have spent 10 weeks at the Grand Mayans on exchanges with SFX.

Having said that, our favorite exchange is New York City because of the location. We have exchanged into the Manhattan Club, HGVC West 57th Street, and Hilton Vacation club on Avenue of the Americas. We far prefer the Hilton Vacation Club because of the service and location. These exchanges were with SFX.

Another favorite is Waikiki because of location and and not timeshare resort.
          John

Comment

Marriott Marbella
            I've had a bunch of great timeshare vacations, but I'm going to second the Marriott Marbella, and I didn't even have an "ash cloud" to deal with. Lol.

I love Europe because it's so much fun to experience the various cultures, and Marbella has a lot to offer. The timeshare itself is one of Marriott's finest, IMO. The area has lots of small towns that are very easily reached, offering great food, shopping & sight seeing. We visited a different town each day, and were never bored. Gibraltar, and Tangiers are also very popular day trips.

The resort was great, the food in the area was great, the people were great, and the shopping (with the exception of Puerto Banus, where I couldn't afford anything, really. ) was great!

I will go back again, one of these days.

PS:

https://www.marriottvacationclub.com...menities.shtml
            ArtsieAng
            Super Moderator
            Last edited by ArtsieAng; 06-14-2012, 02:37 PM.
            Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

We have had many wonderful exchanges since 1986, but our two favorites are both on the beach. One is Lawaii Beach Club on Kauai and the other is Coronado Beach Club in Coronado, California. We have traded into Coronado three times and are anticipating our fifth trip to Lawaii this coming February.

Both resorts are near restaurants and have some near-by shopping. Also a plus for us is a nice hike or walking near the resort. Lawaii is especially great for that. Snorkeling across the street from Lawaii is wonderful. You can go to both of these resorts and not even get in your car for a day or so. Plenty to do and see within walking distance at both places.

Comment

For the same reasons as Sherry, Carlsbad Inn, we liked it so much we bought a unit there, Tamarack Beach Resort, San Clemente Cove, Hilton Hawaiian Village (any Tower), Lawai Beach, Pono Kai and La Sammana.

Samoset is also great in that you don't have to leave the resort except to shop for food but you do have to drive if you get tired of their restaurants. It sits a long way off the main road.

Walkability is a big thing for us. I only want to drive if there is something unique in the area and I think I may never get back to that location again or for a long time.

Hoping that upcoming trips to WorldMark Seaside and the Wellington will be a success in these terms as well.

Comment

Last year on Kauai, DIL and her husband and DS#2 were with us. Nothing event-related that was inherently superb, but when we bought the unit in Poipu we absolutely were anticipating the opportunity to be together in Hawaii as our children moved into adulthood was very much in our dreams. We wanted a unit that was a nice ocean front unit with a more "residential", less "resort" ambiance, and the then "Embassy Vacation Resort" had it. Everyone got along; we pitched in together on meals and activities. Spent a lot of time in the evenings just lolling around. Guys went on hikes together. Those who liked swimming swam. I had great opportunities to share with DS and SIL some of my little favorite parts of the island. So there was our dream coming true, much as we had hoped.

This will stand as the best until such time as it might happen again, but with grandchildren added to the mix.
                  T. R. Oglodyte
                  Last edited by T. R. Oglodyte; 06-14-2012, 04:03 PM.
                  “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

I can honestly say I've only had one vacation that I didn't care for and I contribute that to the weather , it rained 4 days straight.

I honestly think it was Aruba. It might have been because Kurt & Kathy picked us up everyday and their hospitality was so wonderful. We went snorkeling somewhere different every day, Kelli liked the tattoo boatwith the the slide that dropped you into the water and I just liked everything. It might have been because this trip was so eventful : we all got food poisoning and rushed to the hospital in an ambulance, and then when I got feeling better we went on a tour where I almost drowned and had to be rescused!! What I learned was how warm and helpful the people of Aruba were.

No, it must be the Canadian Rockies.Again it was because of the wonderful hospitality of Lynn & Lyman & Anne & Wayne. They were tuggers / ts4ms who opened up their home to us and took us to the Calgary stampede & took us to the airport the next day. I loved everything about this trip, the ts was an a frame , out in the middle of nowhere but close enough to get everywhere. The scenery was beyond beauty and belief!! Maybe it was because Kelli said to me as we were just driving around , how much she loved just being with me!!!

No, maybe it was just the last one we went on. Nashville. So much we got to do and see. Maybe it was the wrestling convention and seeing our friends again? Maybe it was all the country music and the easygoing ways of the people. We always love Nashville. Once we were set with William Golden of the Oak Ridge BOys at my fav, Monell.

Maybe it was one of the times we went to Disney World? I esp loved going at Halloween and watching Kelli getting all excited getting autographs & pics with the characters.

Maybe it will be the one coming up next, Sanibel. Looking for shells and a JUnonia? Maybe it will be Santa Fe and the Hot Air Baloon Festival that we have coming up in Oct.

Maybe it's because tsing gives you wonderful bonding opportunities and making memories that will last a lifetime!!!

Here's to memories!!! shaggy

Comment

Originally posted by Quarterbore View Post
                      My favorite vacation actually goes back quite a few years now but I have been craving going back so my choice for my review is Attatash Mountain Village in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

The resort itself was a lockout sleeps 8 unit. The unit was very comfortable but I was there before my wife and I were maried so we were there without kids. The White Mountains of New Hapshire had plenty of activities to keep us busy the week including the former Old Man on the Mountain (RIP), the flume, Clarks trading post, Canon Mountain Gondala and hiking, Mount Washington, the Conway Railroad, and much, much more.

The video above is a promotional video from the resort and does help to show more about the resort. It's funny that I have not been there in twenty years or so but I can honestly say it was one of the best vacations of my life and now that our kids are getting older I am anxious to go back again!
                      Funny, some of my best vacations were also at Attitash...but that was so many years ago and when my kids traveled with us...We had a lockout as well I thik sleeps 10 or 8, have to look it up...townhouse 3 levels, washer/dryer etc...if you would like to return sometime soon, let me know it is avail. for 2013..
                      Timeshare Addict - Mexico Travel Abounds - Happy Vacations!!

Comment

Do I have to pick just one?

I've got so many favorites it's really hard to decide.

Of course I love my home resort of Enchanted Isle in Hollywood because it's right smack on the sand and an easy exchange since not too many know about it since it doesn't have a fancy name attached to it. The reasons why I like it so: location, price, comfort of the unit, free wi-fi and beach chairs, parking and a small beach town feel although it's just a gallon of gas away from the heart of the city.
                        www.eiresort.com

I also loved Marbella Marriott because of the comfort and location of the unit. It's not in the center of town but it's a beautiful resort and IMO a car is essential to see the area anyway so it's not a big deal if you have a car. The units are spacious (we had a 3 bedroom) and the concierge is wonderful in helping you. The resort has everything you need for a great vacation in any season. We went off season so didn't use the beach or pools but I imagine in the summer it's a totally different vibe and a great beach resort. It was an easy getaway rental from II so I didn't even use an exchange. I'd go back if I was in the area.

DVC Kidani in Animal Kingdom is probably my all time favorite DVC resort and I've stayed at almost all of them. I don't know what it is about the place but it's just a special feeling that I get when I'm staying there. I guess I get lost in the magic and really do feel like I'm not at Disney but actually in a luxury South African resort. I haven't been to South Africa but that's what I imagine the resort to be like.
                        Great pool, restaurants, themed rooms and the ambiance of the place is just so cool. The African music playing thru-out the resort and the authentic African employees add to the theme. I just keep going back, should have bought my points there.

Bonnet Creek is also one of my favorites because of the special Presidential suites thanks to PatG for spoiling me.
                        Bonnet Creek has everything you need onsite for a great Disney visit with or without a car. The Presidential rooms are so, so comfortable that we never want to leave. Ask for a unit in building 6 to have the bus stop right outside your door and you will also be next to the hotel with all the good restaurants and a private bus to Disney that is less crowded than the BC buses.

Custom House is also a very high on my list stay because of the location and history of the building. I love Boston and this is just a really special timeshare. Unfortunately I've not been able to exchange into it but used Marriott rewards but I'd go back in a heartbeat if ever I saw it in II with my CMV units. (highly doubtful).

Hopefully I can add more favorites next year once I get out of Florida.

Comment

I thought we were just discussing timeshare vacations. We take a lot of non-timeshare vacations. One of our favorites was our 2 week non-timeshare vacation in Utah and Las Vegas. The scenery in Utah was the most spectacular we have seen and we have visited all over the US, Mexico, and Canada
                          John

Comment

This was far harder than I thought it would be. I have been so lucky throughout all the years and have had great stays at many timeshares in many places.

Too many are still on my bucket list but there is one that I continuously go back to: Morritts in Grand Cayman. It is difficult to find beachfront caribbean island properties that aren't congested. The east end nicely covers that issue. I love that you can walk down to the pier and spend 30-45 minutes snorkeling anytime the mood strikes you. There are good restaurants and you really don't have to leave the property to enjoy yourself.

If you want crowds you can go into Georgetown and Seven Mile Beach.

A close runner up because I can walk up the beach to my dad's place is Laguna Surf, Laguna Beach, CA. Entirely different reasons. This is more like going home than going on vacation for us.
                            lawren2
                            Malibu Beach Barbie & A Super Moderator
                            Last edited by lawren2; 06-15-2012, 08:18 AM. Reason: Laguna
                            Lawren
                            ------------------------
                            There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
                            - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

Originally posted by chriskre View Post
                              Do I have to pick just one?
                              That was my first thought, but the request is for "one of your favorites," not your most favorite, so I just picked the most recent one where we all got to go, which is definitely on that list.

Comment

Working...
                              X