Timeshare Exit Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timeshare Exit Poll

From one of the disposal companies, an online poll with a surprisingly large number of participants, much larger than any of ours have mustered for anything.

If you you combine all of the money reasons, it's 74.58%.

I Don't Want to Pay the Maintenance Fees Any Longer 28.54% (1,031 votes)
    Maintenance Fees Have Increased Too Much 21.79% (787 votes)
    I Don't Want to be Surprised by Special Assessment Fees 13.26% (479 votes)
    My Health Prevents Me From Traveling 6.09% (220 votes)
    I'm Unable to Schedule the Resort I Want When I Want 15.84% (572 votes)
    Exchange Fees Are Too Costly 10.99% (397 votes)
    Other: 3.49% (126 votes)
    Total Votes: 3,612
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Frankly I have reservations about the credibility of any poll that one of the disposal companies might take.

Comment

I thought it was interesting.
      So the number one reason to use a disposal company is $.

But Kind of like -the average owner who switched to X insurance company saved Y dollars. I guess the ones who wouldn't save money or would have to pay more just wouldn't switch insurance companies.

Comment

I was suspicious, too, but, then, I don't see how it would benefit the disposal company as to why a person wants to get rid of it. I still don't. I don't see much importance in why folks wanna get rid of them, so found the poll interesting.

As far as $$$ be the overwhelming reason, but it costing $$$ to do it, we all know folks do the one-time $$$ to stop the forever $$$.

Anyone come up with a good, general exit strategy since our last discussion about it?
        RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

From the poll results posted, it appears that only one reason could be given, so the results may not be accurate. You should know from the polls done here, that its hard to account for all possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
            with a surprisingly large number of participants, much larger than any of ours have mustered for anything.
            The location of the poll makes it a classic example of "self-selection bias," IMHO. Most people who end up there are desperate to get out, which most commonly means financial issues.

What makes me question it is the number of people who want out due to health issues seems too low. Most of the people I know in real life give up on TSs for health reasons. Which could be an artifact of another self-selection bias; I'm only getting info from people who have chosen to hang out with me or my family!

Comment

Originally posted by tonyg View Post
              Frankly I have reservations about the credibility of any poll that one of the disposal companies might take.
              Agreed1

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbitess View Post
                What makes me question it is the number of people who want out due to health issues seems too low. Most of the people I know in real life give up on TSs for health reasons. Which could be an artifact of another self-selection bias; I'm only getting info from people who have chosen to hang out with me or my family!
                From what I've read on a few forums a lot of HOAs will work with you and may take deedbacks if you gave a true hardship, like health reasons. So, with health reasons, you may not have to use a disposal company.

sent from the bathroom using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbitess View Post
                  Most of the people I know in real life give up on TSs for health reasons.
                  They're sick of them?

Comment

My, how we have all accepted the term disposal company, like it's just part of the deal!

Anyone remember that from the original sales pitch, the "and when you're done with it, contact a disposal company?"

Comment

I was told I could sell it for a nice profit

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                        My, how we have all accepted the term disposal company, like it's just part of the deal!

Anyone remember that from the original sales pitch, the "and when you're done with it, contact a disposal company?"
                        Well that's what you do when you are done with your junk.

Comment

Senior Member,
                          Perhaps you can help me. I have 20000 points of Bluegreen, and I would like to return them to the HOA. How would I go about doing this?
                          When I call I basically get a canned conversation and never really get to talk to a person really connected. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by firstlady95 View Post
                            Senior Member,
                            Perhaps you can help me. I have 20000 points of Bluegreen, and I would like to return them to the HOA. How would I go about doing this?
                            When I call I basically get a canned conversation and never really get to talk to a person really connected. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
                            Pretty much like my thread "This is a Fine kettle of Fish."

People who like to give advice to other people say things like, "Ask your HOA if they will take it," a very simplistic idea that often has no semblance of reality. All I can suggest is to try to find out who you are talking to, if it really is someone who is on the HOA. My take on it is that even those who do accept "deedbacks", don't advertise it, and you probably have to pursue it pretty hard to get them to do it. Some seem to think that if the word got out there may be a deluge of deedbacks.

There is also a Consumer Protection attorney who has his own board on this forum. To get the details of exactly how that works, you have actually initiate your "case" with them.

Comment

Originally posted by firstlady95 View Post
                              I have 20000 points of Bluegreen, and I would like to return them to the HOA.
                              Are they paid off? That is to say, have you paid for both the initial purchase and up to date on your maintenance fees? If that's the case, you may be able to get ride of them by listing them for free or nearly free here, on TUG, and on the Bluegreen Yahoo group. If you own the points free and clear, you're in a much better position than if you still owe on them. If you still owe on them, your options are probably limited to getting a lawyer, taking a hit to your credit rating, or both.

It's rare, or at least I've only ever heard of it happening once (and that was someone I didn't know, so maybe it wasn't true), that Bluegreen will take them back. But if you're up to date, you may be able to sell them. List how many points you have, whether they're yearly or biennial, and either the Trust Fund or (if you don't know that), how much your last MFs were (so buyers can do the math).

If you're just frustrated with the ownership and not dealing with serious financial difficulties, I suggest you post to the Bluegreen subforum here and see if you can't make better use of your ownership. For some people, timeshares are never a good fit, but OTOH the sales people are not the greatest at explaining what you can do with Bluegreen, and they can give buyers unrealistic expectations; some people who initially posted here as very unhappy owners, ended up happy owners once they got some tips on how to make the system work for them.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X