Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have trouble using everything you own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have trouble using everything you own?

I own so many points and weeks that lately I'm having a little trouble using everything up.
    I ended up banking forward and renting (gasp) my Disney points to a friend this year cause I just couldn't fit in another Disney trip.
    I've got Wyndham points I have to use by Oct or deposit to RCI, HGVC points I need to use, save or bank to RCI and a deposit at Platinum
    Interchange that may go unused if I don't book something soon. Oh and I've got RCI points that I haven't even touched this year.

I know I've got this timeshare addiction and there is probably an easy cure to all of this.
    I figured since I was retiring this year I'd have more time to travel but find myself more busy than ever.

So does this happen to you guys & gals too?

I'm afraid that even if I bank til next year I'm going to have the same problem next year.
    Well almost, since I'm hoping to blow about 2 years worth of points at the new Disney Grand Floridian next year.

Help!!! I'm drowning in vacation opportunities.

Since DH only gets 2 weeks vacation with this new job (he used to get 5), we don't vacation as often as I'd like. We usually go for 4 days or so and give the other days away. I've let a few weeks expire in the past few years, and that kills me! I guess I should give at least one of my units away and re-evaluate my way of vacationing.
    Jacki

Comment

Originally posted by jackio View Post
      I've let a few weeks expire in the past few years, and that kills me!
      I know somebody who owns one week and lets it expire almost every year in the last 15+ years This kills me too, because if I owned it I would have used it every year. What a waste. This person just doesn't know how to get rid of it or rent it, so he just pays MF year after year.

Comment

When this situation arises, we either vacation more or look at reducing our holdings. I rather like being in a situation where I could actually use another week in the event a good deal arises on a week I could actually use nearly every year.

Comment

Yep, definitely have more than I can use.

Comment

I have gotten rid of 4 weeks this year and still have too many. It is difficult to decide what goes next.
            Pat
            *** My Website ***

Comment

I had been doing pretty well, but had to cancel two exchanges this summer---one was a trip that we had to rearrange (which ended up being a rental rather than another exchange), and that conflicted with the first one. We might try to soak up the excess by inviting friends to join us at the Mouse House for next year's April break.

Comment

Yup, I have trouble using mine. I usually lock them off and then deposit them, so I wind up with double the weeks, & a few useless AC's. The thing is that lately I have trouble finding timeshares where I want to travel....Chicago, Montreal, Europe, etc.

Last week I extend two weeks in II, and still have one thats about to expire. I've been looking day & night for a last minute vacation.
                Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

I though we had such a small ownership, we'd never get caught in that trap. But I once had to scramble to use up points, and ended up rearranging our next vacation to spend them on a points-pricey weekend (we don't usually avoid weekends, but stay enough days the cost per night is lower). Even our little ownership gives us more great options than we have time to use. I keep telling hubby he needs to retire so we have more vacation time, but I don't think he's going to take me up on it.

Comment

We don't travel as much as we used to even though DH is retired. Right now we have a 99 year old parent (DH's mother) in nursing care and don't want to be far away just in case. I have deposits in Platinum that I haven't even looked at; one expired in SFX and a ton of TPUs in RCI. I have given away almost all of my owned weeks except Ireland summer, Provincetown summer and a 2 bedroom floating lockoff Shearton and I still have too much. Add to that living on Cape Cod and you see where I am with vacation.

Joy
                    “ Peace, if it ever exists, will not be based on the fear of war but on the love of peace. ”

— Herman Wouk

Comment

I use everything and rent additional weeks

I disposed of an RCI Aussie points resort that was useful for MC exchanges until RCI imposed an additional $30 a day penalty (sold it for what I paid); gave away a unit Poconos that only received 16 TPUs to someone who wants to use it to kayak on the lake; and the resort took back the Pelican in St. Martin at my request because there was too much drama for me.

I don't have the appetite to rent my units out, but many do and have success.

Maria

Comment

We were doing fine until RCI implemented the new TPU system. Being a bargain hunter, I have found some great, low TPU exchanges but that has left me with more TPUs than I know what to do with. I was hoping my grown children would use some of them but they are too busy with their careers and families to plan ahead. When they do decide they want to go somewhere, it is usually only a few months out and there is nothing that suits them.

Comment

Originally posted by jerrry94087 View Post
                          I know somebody who owns one week and lets it expire almost every year in the last 15+ years This kills me too, because if I owned it I would have used it every year. What a waste. This person just doesn't know how to get rid of it or rent it, so he just pays MF year after year.
                          That's unbelievable!
                          You'd think that in 15 years they'd be frustrated enough with it to do something.
                          I have a friend who is headed this way too.
                          She's about 6 years into her ownership and has no clue how to use it even though I've offered to help.
                          Ends up staying in hotels.

Originally posted by tonyg View Post
                          When this situation arises, we either vacation more or look at reducing our holdings. I rather like being in a situation where I could actually use another week in the event a good deal arises on a week I could actually use nearly every year.
                          I'm trying to vacation more but I think I may have to start reducing my holdings.
                          I guess having CMV UDI has put me over the edge.
                          It's just so versatile and has created this problem.

Originally posted by GrayFal View Post
                          I have gotten rid of 4 weeks this year and still have too many. It is difficult to decide what goes next.
                          Yeah it's tough parting with old friends.

Originally posted by happymum View Post
                          Yep, definitely have more than I can use.
                          Well at least you aren't alone.

Originally posted by bnoble View Post
                          I had been doing pretty well, but had to cancel two exchanges this summer---one was a trip that we had to rearrange (which ended up being a rental rather than another exchange), and that conflicted with the first one. We might try to soak up the excess by inviting friends to join us at the Mouse House for next year's April break.
                          This is sort of the frustrating thing about timeshare trips. It's easy with DVC to cancel a trip but with these exchanges it's a big penalty to cancel.
                          I'm afraid to book anything far away from home too far in advance because of this.

Originally posted by ArtsieAng View Post
                          Yup, I have trouble using mine. I usually lock them off and then deposit them, so I wind up with double the weeks, & a few useless AC's. The thing is that lately I have trouble finding timeshares where I want to travel....Chicago, Montreal, Europe, etc.

Last week I extend two weeks in II, and still have one thats about to expire. I've been looking day & night for a last minute vacation.
                          I don't own any lock offs so don't really have quite the same problem but I do have a bunch of AC's that I don't seem to be able to find any use for either.
                          I think I'm not as sophisticated an exchanger as you guys are cause I can always seem to find something that I could use just don't seem to be able to get away as easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbitess View Post
                            I though we had such a small ownership, we'd never get caught in that trap. But I once had to scramble to use up points, and ended up rearranging our next vacation to spend them on a points-pricey weekend (we don't usually avoid weekends, but stay enough days the cost per night is lower). Even our little ownership gives us more great options than we have time to use. I keep telling hubby he needs to retire so we have more vacation time, but I don't think he's going to take me up on it.
                            Retirement doesn't fix this problem I have learned.
                            I just seem to be busier than I was when I was working full time.

Originally posted by joycapecod View Post
                            We don't travel as much as we used to even though DH is retired. Right now we have a 99 year old parent (DH's mother) in nursing care and don't want to be far away just in case. I have deposits in Platinum that I haven't even looked at; one expired in SFX and a ton of TPUs in RCI. I have given away almost all of my owned weeks except Ireland summer, Provincetown summer and a 2 bedroom floating lockoff Shearton and I still have too much. Add to that living on Cape Cod and you see where I am with vacation.

Joy
                            Well if I lived in Cape Cod I'd consider that a year round vacation.

Originally posted by mpizza View Post
                            I use everything and rent additional weeks

I disposed of an RCI Aussie points resort that was useful for MC exchanges until RCI imposed an additional $30 a day penalty (sold it for what I paid); gave away a unit Poconos that only received 16 TPUs to someone who wants to use it to kayak on the lake; and the resort took back the Pelican in St. Martin at my request because there was too much drama for me.

I don't have the appetite to rent my units out, but many do and have success.

Maria
                            I used to be always running short too now I've flipped the coin.

Originally posted by bellesgirl View Post
                            We were doing fine until RCI implemented the new TPU system. Being a bargain hunter, I have found some great, low TPU exchanges but that has left me with more TPUs than I know what to do with. I was hoping my grown children would use some of them but they are too busy with their careers and families to plan ahead. When they do decide they want to go somewhere, it is usually only a few months out and there is nothing that suits them.
                            This has definitely contributed to the problem.
                            All these low TPU deals mess with my TS math and make me see the great opportunities I can get with those exchanges.

Comment

Originally posted by bellesgirl View Post
                              My family is exactly the same way. They decide 2 months out that they would like something at in the summer on the beach on the east coast! Yet they look at me like I am crazy when I ask them 2 years in advance if they would like the very same unit.

With the TPU system, I REALLY have too many available points. For example, I was able to get 2 weeks at DVC in September, one for us at Boardwalk Villas and one for my friend at Saratoga Springs for the TPUs from only one of my deposits.
                              Jacki

Comment

Working...
                              X