Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Timeshare is really a good deal for users ??? or only for the companies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All, thank very much for all your comments, very nice forum !!
    was motivational to read that there are people happy with timeshares.
    Still, I think that is not a good way to spend the money only because the amount paid at the moment of buying and the commitment...
    definitely buying from resale in a very low or zero cost is the way to get in, then the mathematics works !!! and the system looks wonderful...
    Now, that I'm seeing everybody that read this forum is a happy users ... I would really appreciate sharing on tips to maximizes the use of the timeshare hoping
    I learn and be happy of my "investment"... I hope you can post some of them.

To close this, if we separate the fact of using it, maximize the use... and being "obligated" to have vacations that is "good"... I definitely think the hotels are doing to much money on this business...
    with the money they collect from those that buy from the developer, they should have enough to maintain the resorts and get lower maintenance fees...
    this last comment is purely from the economics point of view, I feel really bad of people that today, tomorrow.. and after are continue buying from the developer.
    that made come back to my original posting.. shouldn't the developer stop selling at one point the hotel over and over ? is any entity auditing that they sell only 52wks per room ??? how many "owners" is the limit to have in a resort ?
    some numbers... with an example of a hotel with 300 rooms....
    52wks * 300 rooms * $20K = $312M >> they collect that money very fast (2 years..?) to sell to 15600 "owners" and then they can invest it in another one ... or in anything and make that money works after getting their big profits...why no pay maintenance for 20 years from there and from the dividends and capital gains continue paying ?? in top they collect every year another $10M (52 * 300 * $600 = $9.36M) ... I'm sure those $10M should cover maintenance... plus what the hotel sell by room on their own ??... the number do not close... those companies are getting more of what they should.

in every numbers the problem is in the money paid in front...
    I hope everybody understand my frustration... and help me to enjoy "my investment".

THANKS !!
    I

Comment

Originally posted by CEDOJ View Post
      chriskre
      Thanks for your kind words... and yes I would really appreciate if you share with me some of your tips to take advantage of my timeshare.
      Thanks !!!
      Happy to help.
      As you can see some love timeshare and some hate them.
      I love them but I have adjusted my portfolio of timeshares to meet my needs.
      If it doesn't work then I give it away and get something else.

Maybe we can start with where do you own and what type of timeshare is it?
      Is it a fixed week or points? Is it a developer run unit or an independent resort?
      How do you vacation? Do you follow the school calendar or are you retired or flexible?
      Where do you want to go?

Comment

Originally posted by JWC View Post
        I don't have a fixation at all. I understand that many people like their timeshares. I don't know why you are so sensitive about it. If you like it then that is fine but it is not for everybody and there are viable alternatives.
        I used "fixation" because of your "fixation on Motel 6" comment, which to me came out of left field (I've probably missed whatever threads you're referring to). But it was meant to be more of a teasing comment than a serious analysis of your position.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbitess View Post
          I used "fixation" because of your "fixation on Motel 6" comment, which to me came out of left field (I've probably missed whatever threads you're referring to). But it was meant to be more of a teasing comment than a serious analysis of your position.
          Speaking of Motel 6.
          I just checked the rates for the I-Drive Motel 6.
          Here is what the rates are from their website.

Check-in Date: Sunday, September 22, 2013 Number of adults: 4
          Check-out Date: Sunday, September 29, 2013 Number of nights: 7
          CorporatePlus/ID Number:
          Your Room Selection and Daily Rate
          STANDARD ONE BED WITH MICRO-FRIDGE

If cancellation is necessary, to avoid billing you must receive a cancel number prior to 6:00 PM Eastern on the check-in date. Cancel times and dates may vary. Contact the reserved Motel 6 for specific policies that may affect your reservations.

All reservations booked through Motel 6 must be held for late arrival by an accepted type of guarantee. Payment for your accommodations is required at check-in with an accepted credit card or cash.
          Special Policies

Please enter preference for a Smoking Room in the Comments field on the next page.

If you are booking 7 nights or more the following policies will apply:

A) Room charges for the first 7 days of the stay are due at time of registration and by 12 Noon in advance of each subsequent consecutive 7 days of the stay.

B) Guests booking 7 days or more and receiving this special discount receive a modified room service schedule [inclusive of room refresh after 3rd day (replenish towels/remove trash) and full room service at 7 days]. Additional service is available upon request, extra charges may apply.

C) Guests checking out during the first weekly term (7 consecutive days) will be charged the lesser of : (1) the weekly rate or (2) the daily standard rack rate times the actual number of nights.

D) Check with the Motel at time of check-in for other city or property specific requirements.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 Standard Rate $50.99 USD
          Monday, September 23, 2013 Standard Rate $50.99 USD
          Tuesday, September 24, 2013 Standard Rate $50.99 USD
          Wednesday, September 25, 2013 Standard Rate $50.99 USD
          Thursday, September 26, 2013 Standard Rate $50.99 USD
          Friday, September 27, 2013 Standard Rate $60.99 USD
          Saturday, September 28, 2013 Standard Rate $60.99 USD
          Total: $376.93 USD
          *NOT including taxes of: 12.50% upon check-in (subject to change)

I'm paying around $450 for a 3 bedroom for this same timeframe at Marriott Grande Vista
          using an exchange thru II.

Gotta add taxes of around $45 to the above rate of $376 and it comes to almost
          what I am paying for GV. Okay so I'm paying $25 more than staying at Motel 6.
          I'll take GV over Motel 6 anyday.

Comment

Chris, I suggest that if OP (new member) wants info regarding his specific ownership, that he start a new thread. Ask a mod to move it if he posts here.

Heading to Miami Airport via LGA
            Pat
            *** My Website ***

Comment

Originally posted by GrayFal View Post
              Chris, I suggest that if OP (new member) wants info regarding his specific ownership, that he start a new thread. Ask a mod to move it if he posts here.

Heading to Miami Airport via LGA
              Okay. Thanks.

Comment

It was mentioned in post #17 and again in #34 in this thread and almost always shows up in every thread about this subject.

I will guarantee you that we don't stay in Motel 6 or anything like it.
                John

Comment

Someone would be crazy to rent a room at Motel 6 when they can rent a timeshare from RCI for so much less.

RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                    Someone would be crazy to rent a room at Motel 6 when they can rent a timeshare from RCI for so much less.

Now you're coming around.

Comment

It was mentioned in post #17 and again in #34 in this thread and almost always shows up in every thread about this subject.

I will guarantee you that we don't stay in Motel 6 or anything like it.
                      Okay, I get you. We have stayed in many lovely one or two bedroom suites, and of course I'd rather stay in one of those than in a Motel 6. But when those suites cost more than a Timeshare, that doesn't surprise me -- they offer a lot of the things Timeshares do, and they offer daily maid service, which timeshares usually don't. OTOH, when a Motel 6 at the same location costs more than a timeshare, that continues to amaze me, because to me the Motel 6 offers so much less. If you'd said "fixated on Motel 6 prices" it wouldn't have seemed so odd to me. I don't see anyone characterizing the two possible options as "Motel 6 or Timeshares," which I thought is what you were saying. When it comes to comparing other aspects, then the better hotels come up, seems to me.

But if Motel 6 costs more than the TS unit, how much more will the nicer hotels cost, and what do they offer that the TS does not? For my hubby, they have to be a lot nicer before they justify that price. I'm much more willing to pay more for a nicer room that he is, but the wonder is, with Timeshares, it's what I want at a price he loves! So while price may not be my first or most important consideration, that price difference is always going to make me happy. But I'm more fixated on kitchens.

Comment

Okay, I get you. We have stayed in many lovely one or two bedroom suites, and of course I'd rather stay in one of those than in a Motel 6. But when those suites cost more than a Timeshare, that doesn't surprise me -- they offer a lot of the things Timeshares do, and they offer daily maid service, which timeshares usually don't. OTOH, when a Motel 6 at the same location costs more than a timeshare, that continues to amaze me, because to me the Motel 6 offers so much less. If you'd said "fixated on Motel 6 prices" it wouldn't have seemed so odd to me. I don't see anyone characterizing the two possible options as "Motel 6 or Timeshares," which I thought is what you were saying. When it comes to comparing other aspects, then the better hotels come up, seems to me.

But if Motel 6 costs more than the TS unit, how much more will the nicer hotels cost, and what do they offer that the TS does not? For my hubby, they have to be a lot nicer before they justify that price. I'm much more willing to pay more for a nicer room that he is, but the wonder is, with Timeshares, it's what I want at a price he loves! So while price may not be my first or most important consideration, that price difference is always going to make me happy. But I'm more fixated on kitchens.
                        There is no pat answer to the OP's post. As I have said many times, it all depends on one's preferences. We couldn't care less if there is a kitchen as long as there is a refrigerator for snacks and drinks.

Very few timeshares cost less than $100 /day for maintenance fees and property taxes. If you exchange then the cost is even more. There are special deals for bonus weeks etc, ts rentals with many of these available without having the obligation of owning. The timeshare world is much different then it was a few years ago. With the Wyndham points system, there are numerous weeks for rent at very reasonable prices. We rented a 2 BR unit in Waikiki at less than the M/F. You can rent weeks at the Manhattan Club in New York City for less than the M/F. We have also rented suites at Marriott's Residence Inn for less than $100 /nt and that includes a free hot breakfas every morning. Of course the Homewood Suites that I mentioned as well. We also spend 50-60 nights a year in nice hotels.

Our situation is also different than most. We live in an area with great weather, lots of things to do and we made our home into our own resort with swimming pool etc. Therefore we have no reason to escape the weather etc. so we need to have a good reason to go somewhere. We love New York City and Waikiki so we do go there. We do go away elsewhere every month for 3-6 days, all non-timeshare in California and Nevada.

I have drifted a bit off-topic but so be it. Another thing we like about non-timeshare is the flexibility of not having to plan months ahead.

Having said all of this I do see where timeshares do have value for some people.
                        John

Comment

I have read this thread and find it quite interesting.

Comment

There is no pat answer to the OP's post. As I have said many times, it all depends on one's preferences.
                            Agreed.

Very few timeshares cost less than $100 /day for maintenance fees and property taxes. If you exchange then the cost is even more.
                            That surprises me. I thought weeks ownerships were cheaper than points ownerships (going on number crunching for trading into DVC done by people I know own weeks), but we have only gotten over $100/night average one year with our ownership. And that was 2012, when we stayed in a five bedroom presidential that's bigger than our house (not counting our basement), and paid for two 2 BR ocean front units at the same time (the units sleep six and we're seven, so we got a second unit, invited a friend along, then foisted the boys off on her ). Usually we stay in 2 BRs that sleep eight. But as a points owner I do have access to rentals non-owners don't, and in my system the points prices never change, meaning older resorts are cheaper per night even when they've been renovated and the amenities expanded, both of which bring the price down. And I suppose the per-night price for weeks ownerships must vary considerable, based on what weeks you own and where.

With the Wyndham points system, there are numerous weeks for rent at very reasonable prices.
                            Yeah, I've seen some very low prices for Wyndham, but so far they never match up to what or where we want. If they're still around, we'll certainly be making use of those once hubby retires. At that point we'll be vacationing more and have more flexibility, so sometimes we'll just go where the deals are.

Comment

chriskre, thanks .. will be great to take some tips from your experiences..
                              I will open another thread, about "Tips to maximize use of the timeshare: with POINTS"
                              see you there.

Comment

I bought most of my timeshares resale on ebay, paying an average of $500-$2,000 for each. They were a great deal for me in the beginning. Nowadays, now that I am married and my wife works in a school with a limited vacation schedule, they are more of a hassle. Also, she doesn't like me using them all unless she is going, as well, so I often wind up not using them and they can be a bit of a hassle.

Comment

Working...
                                X