The World's Best Airports 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The World's Best Airports 2014

I find it difficult to enjoy Airports but here are the best as voted by travellers from over 160 countries.

1 Singapore Changi Airport
    2 Incheon International Airport
    3 Munich Airport
    4 Hong Kong International Airport
    5 Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
    6 Tokyo International Airport Haneda
    7 Beijing Capital International Airport
    8 Zurich Airport
    9 Vancouver International Airport
    10 London Heathrow Airport

http://www.worldairportawards.com/

I have only been to three on the list, but my vote goes to Incheon. The last two times we were there to visit our DS, DIL and sweet grandbaby, there was wonderful traditional entertainment in the airport. It was a lovely way to pass the time while waiting for our flight.

Dori

Comment

I've been in three of them. I thought Heathrow was terrible. Mostly because of the long, long walk once we got off the plane to get to the baggage claim area.
      Luanne

Comment

Munich is a favorite of mine also. Sometimes it seems like my second home I have been there so often over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne View Post
          I've been in three of them. I thought Heathrow was terrible. Mostly because of the long, long walk once we got off the plane to get to the baggage claim area.
          I have been to the four in Europe, and I am surprised to see Heathrow on a best of best airports. It usually makes the list of worst airports. Indeed, a couple of years ago, the Bucharest edition in a travel guidebook series described the LCC airport at Bucharest as being the second worst airport in Europe, only because nothing could be worse than Heathrow.

Acutally as an AA Plat, Heathrow is not so bad for me, but only because I can hang out in the wonderful BA Galleries lounge.

I like Zurich and Amsterdam, but I would put Vienna ahead of Munich. Still Munich beats the pants off of Frankfurt. All of my German colleagues much prefered to fly into MUC over FRA.

Comment

I was in and out of Zurich pretty quickly and really don't remember much about it. I spent more time in Vancouver and my only real memory there was being pulled out for special "handling" by US immigration. Those guys have NO sense of humor.
            Luanne

Comment

I'd like to know what their "39 key performance indicators" are and whether they weight them -- I'd rate airplanes being on schedule and luggage usually getting where it's sent as much more important than shopping options, for example.

Originally posted by Luanne View Post
              and really don't remember much about it.
              I don't remember much about most airports. That is to say, I vividly remember the George Rhodes' kinetic sculpture in the Boston airport, which is far too mesmerizing for people who are likely to be in a daze already, but whether we had a huge walk or whether the airport itself was generally well laid out, haven't a clue.

Plus we grew up using O'Hare, which generally makes the top five in worst US airports lists, so my expectations are pretty low.

Comment

I always enjoy Vancouver airport. I find the art spectacular and the general feel as "warm", unlike the sterility of Toronto Person (for example)

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbitess View Post
                  I'd like to know what their "39 key performance indicators" are and whether they weight them -- I'd rate airplanes being on schedule and luggage usually getting where it's sent as much more important than shopping options, for example.
                  I'm not much of a shopper either. I often need to land somewhere in Asia first, so for me a swimming pool is really great feature. Swimming some laps really helps to break up a long haul trip. The next would be good massages and good food to help pass the time. Changi may be the top of the list but I'd mark them down on the quality of the food.

This article from 2012 interested me because it almost treats airports as a destination in themselves.

Make the Most of Your Layover at the World's Best Airports
                  http://www.fodors.com/news/story_5342.html

Getting stuck at the airport usually equates to mind-numbing boredom. With ever-looming potential for weather delays, flight cancellations, or back-to-back long-haul flights, it's easy to land yourself in dreaded "layover" status. The good news: Many international jet-set hubs (naturally, big stopover points) are coming to flyers’ rescue, continuing to roll out mega-entertainment options and "top that!" amenities that transform their terminals into temporary tourist destinations in their own right. From golf courses and yoga rooms to sleep pods and swimming pools, these seven airports make waiting around so fun, you might want to skip your flight.

Comment

Originally posted by CarolF View Post
                    I find it difficult to enjoy Airports but here are the best as voted by travellers from over 160 countries.

1 Singapore Changi Airport
                    2 Incheon International Airport
                    3 Munich Airport
                    4 Hong Kong International Airport
                    5 Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
                    6 Tokyo International Airport Haneda
                    7 Beijing Capital International Airport
                    8 Zurich Airport
                    9 Vancouver International Airport
                    10 London Heathrow Airport

http://www.worldairportawards.com/
                    I have been to 4 on the list, Heathrow, Zurich, Munich, and Amsterdam

Munich is Huge I recall doing a lot of walking there
                    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Working...
                    X