Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developers/Retailers v. Owners

http://www.timeshareforums.com/forum...Endless-Escape

On a serious note, the OP brings up an issue which anyone with any experience in timesharing is aware of, that being that the developer/retailer of the timeshare is in direct competition with owners who wish to get out of timesharing, and, thus, sell what they own. Rather than provide a realistic exit strategy, say one by which they would include inventory of current owners wanting to sell, or assist them in some manner, they resort to an antagonistic strategy, saying they will, or actually do, exclude some perks of ownership if they are not the ones bought from.

The fact that they are in direct competition with current owners is the reason major developer/retailers give for not assisting them . . . It would be a "conflict of interest".

That is how they are able to get several thousands of dollars for something that a present owner cannot give away. That and the fact that the current owners do not have a streamlined, well-moneyed, high-pressure sales machine working for them.

It just seems a shame, wrong, that the people who have funded the industry over the years should be considered to be the competition when they want out.

It would also seem to be in the Resorts' best interest to have owners who want to be owners.
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

The above post is not original thought, but paraphrased from here:

http://timesharegame.com/timeshare-o...resale-issues/
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Not every developer does this to their owners. And most of the perks stripped from these resales
      are not worth paying the difference between resale and retail and you know it.

I own several that use ROFR to keep prices up for themselves of course, but the owners benefit too
      if they sell because if their buyer doesn't get it, at least the developer will buy it at that same price.
      DVC and HGVC work that way.

Marriott has a resale department where owners can list their timeshares with them, for a commission of course.
      I get monthly emails from them with their resale units.

Bluegreen helped owners who wanted out of the special assessment by allowing them to deedback their Christmas Mountain Village units.

My owner controlled unit in Hollywood beach has an active list of units for sale that anyone can get from the front desk.

My VRI controlled unit in Ft. Lauderdale helped me transfer the deed to my new buyer for $100 making sure it was done correctly.

Developers are not necessarily out to screw owners, they are just out to make a buck selling the dream of vacations.
      If developers don't make their bucks, then no new resorts get built and that's the reason most people buy a timeshare in the first place.
      Not everyone wants to keep going to the same places over and over. Some of us do but most owners don't.

Comment

It's encouraging that "official' people are saying, almost verbatim, the same things that have been said by us unofficial people on these forums for many years:

"Rising fees. When maintenance fees grow and grow until they reach a level that is too high for what you get, then the value is not there anymore. If I can rent something comparable for less than the maintenance fees, why would I want to pay more and lock in that negative value?"

"Underpriced rentals. Another issue is when the timeshare company themselves rent out units for less than the maintenance fees. Once again, why would you buy, when you can get the same thing for less, without any on-going obligation?"

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post

It's encouraging that "official' people are saying, almost verbatim, the same things that have been said by us unofficial people on these forums for many years:

"Rising fees. When maintenance fees grow and grow until they reach a level that is too high for what you get, then the value is not there anymore. If I can rent something comparable for less than the maintenance fees, why would I want to pay more and lock in that negative value?"

"Underpriced rentals. Another issue is when the timeshare company themselves rent out units for less than the maintenance fees. Once again, why would you buy, when you can get the same thing for less, without any on-going obligation?"
          and I keep telling myself this everytime I am tempted to get another timeshare

Comment

This may be true with overbuilt areas like Vegas, Branson and most of Orlando but is not true in many other places including our beloved Southwest FL.
            Renting is a hassle. There is a huge trust factor that needs to be satisfied to fork over vacation money to a stranger and risk being stranded.
            I for one and I'm certainly not alone, don't want to hassle with that. I have better things to do with my time than scope out the cheapest deals.

When I hop on a plane, I want to know that there is definitely room at the Inn for me and that I've not been scammed or locked out because someone
            rented their exchange to me or worse yet, is some scammer in some internet cafe posing as an owner on VRBO or Redweek.

I have rented from several owners on Redweek before I became a timeshare owner and many of them wanted personal checks.
            Back then paypal wasn't so widely used and owners insisted on checks being cleared. I was very lucky and probably too naive to even think
            I could have been scammed, so sent my checks, but in this day and age, I would no longer feel comfortable doing that.

As for the underpriced rentals, don't own in Branson, Vegas and Orlando and you won't have this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by rapmarks View Post
              and I keep telling myself this everytime I am tempted to get another timeshare
              With owning a regular home and a snowbird home, both you and JLB probably should not own any more timeshares.
              I think there is definitely a season in life when owning a TS or even just traveling is just too much of a hassle.
              I hope to get to that age one day but can't imagine what my 78 year old mother would do with a TS on her own.

Shoot, for me owning two homes in my old age will even be too much of a hassle.
              I already hire a property manager to take care of my affairs now cause owning stuff is just too much hassle.
              I'd much rather just divest of everything when I retire and live life simpler.

So I agree, you are right to keep telling yourself that you don't need one anymore, cause it's probably true.

Comment

Chris, it is too much of a hassle We just returned to Florida, our air conditioner isn't working and I went to get groceries, and discovered my wallet is gone no money, no credit cards, no drivers license, etc etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by rapmarks View Post
                  Chris, it is too much of a hassle We just returned to Florida, our air conditioner isn't working and I went to get groceries, and discovered my wallet is gone no money, no credit cards, no drivers license, etc etc etc
                  Oh no, that's an awful thing to happen.
                  I hope it's just misplaced and you find it.

Comment

Owning timeshares is much less the hassle than owning 2 homes.

Ive got 10 years to go before Im 78, but I still expect to be owning multiple timeshares and renting some for a profit. and using the others as a proxy for a second home....with any luck my home in SW Florida will become the second home, and Ill be in timeshares primarly

On the subject of 78... I never thought I wanted to live to be 70 years old, but now that Im 68; 70 doesnt look so bad..... Im betting that I feel the same way about 80 in 10 years...In fact Im planning on it...I just bought another bunch of timeshares

Back to the subject at hand...The biggest problem in the timeshare industry is the lack of an effective and efficient secondary market. and I think the major developers know that. Each in their own way is working toward a solution. for example, Ive noticed the scarcity of Wyndham contracts on ebay.

Comment

Off topic, but, what the hey, I'm flexible. Here, I'm touching my toes.

Almost everyone I've run into from the country club at Fine Kettle is spending winter months in Florida. There is another fairly large group at my other club. Everyone's asking everyone, "When ya goin'?"

It's like last Winter was enough.

There is one growing group that is in the Sebring area, and another in SW Florida, Charloitte, Lee and Collier Counties. Englewood, Rotonda, Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda, Ft. Myers, Naples, & Marco Island.

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/search/vac

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/search/vac

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...pyJxoCSlvw_wcB

(Florida - 71,466 vacation rentals)

Comment

Originally posted by ronparise View Post
                        Owning timeshares is much less the hassle than owning 2 homes.

Ive got 10 years to go before Im 78, but I still expect to be owning multiple timeshares and renting some for a profit. and using the others as a proxy for a second home....with any luck my home in SW Florida will become the second home, and Ill be in timeshares primarly

On the subject of 78... I never thought I wanted to live to be 70 years old, but now that Im 68; 70 doesnt look so bad..... Im betting that I feel the same way about 80 in 10 years...In fact Im planning on it...I just bought another bunch of timeshares

Back to the subject at hand...The biggest problem in the timeshare industry is the lack of an effective and efficient secondary market. and I think the major developers know that. Each in their own way is working toward a solution. for example, Ive noticed the scarcity of Wyndham contracts on ebay.
                        Ron I think you are an anomaly in the senior world.
                        Most I know don't want to deal with the hassles of traveling except cruises.
                        I can see myself cruising once a month, maybe twice a month. Lucky I live in Miami.
                        Last minute deals abound on cruises and I think I'll just do what you do
                        with timeshares on the cruise ships interspersed with TS stays and my FL beaches.
                        I am already thinking of purchasing a condo for my retirement years and just renting it til I need it.
                        I am turning 50 this year and hope to have all my affairs in order by the time I'm officially "retired".
                        Part of that is simplifying my housing. Hopefully with a bay and city view.

Comment

As far as timesharing to SW FL, for an extended period, anyone who has searched every day for Januarys, for 12 years, or knows someone who has done that, knows how impossible that is.

As I posted recently, the only week being offered by RCI in January (other than Lehigh) on the Gulf Coast from Tampa on down was a rental at a lesser resort, for $1500.

But there are a lot of vacation rental properties. Maybe not enough, because it is an area of natural attraction to the entire world, but tens of thousands.

Oh yeah, the topic, some developers/systems may be acknowledging the resale issue, but not many, and not many HOAs, and it doesn't seem to be on the front burner with ARDA. The only addressing of it by governments is to prosecute the scammy resale companies that have been spawned because of the inability of the industry to deal with it.

We all know that.

Comment

As far as timesharing to SW FL, for an extended period, anyone who has searched every day for Januarys, for 12 years, or knows someone who has done that, knows how impossible that is.

As I posted recently, the only week being offered by RCI in January (other than Lehigh) on the Gulf Coast from Tampa on down was a rental at a lesser resort, for $1500.

But there are a lot of vacation rental properties. Maybe not enough, because it is an area of natural attraction to the entire world, but tens of thousands.

Oh yeah, the topic, some developers/systems may be acknowledging the resale issue, but not many, and not many HOAs, and it doesn't seem to be on the front burner with ARDA. The only addressing of it by governments is to prosecute the scammy resale companies that have been spawned because of the inability of the industry to deal with it.

We all know that.
                            If you didn't buy your fixed weeks from the developer or someone selling their multiple weeks at SW FL in January, then yup you are out of luck.
                            That's why those snowbird condos are so popular.

But for us Floridians who have made the full time commitment of living here in the Sunshine state an ownership in a timeshare like Wyndham
                            or Hilton makes a lot of sense to get those coveted beach front units during our summers which is when we locals want to vacation at the beach anyway.
                            Maybe once you move here full time you will finally understand that mentality.

Comment

Since you can't trade in any more, it would be interesting for someone to put together what it would cost to purchase, and "maintain" a (collection of) timeshare(s) for October 1 through April 30 each year, from Anna Maria Island to Marco Island.

It goes without saying that such a venture would not allow you to have many of the creature comforts of home, since you would be packing up and moving on to the next place just about every week.

Ironically, it was Inside Guy who steered us to where we are and what we now do.

I posted the following in the last week: https://www.homepath.com/listing?listingid=44330123 It's a nice condo on the water, with swimming pool and all, with an $1100/year COA fee, for $82,500, and something where you could always get that $82,500 back, that has been sold since I posted it.

(By thoughts are intend for those who are not already committed to those already committed to what they are already committed to.)

Comment

Working...
                              X