Developers/Retailers v. Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different strokes for . . .
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

As I said about timesharing for the last 15 years, when it goes to hell in a handbasket, we'll just walk away. Empty-handed, of course.

If our living in Florida goes to hell a handbasket, same thing, only with full hands.

Nice little detour . . .

OK, developers/retailers selling the same thing as owners, and not helping them because of that . . . that's a bummer.
      RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
        (By thoughts are intend for those who are not already committed to those already committed to what they are already committed to.)
        Should read "My thoughts are intended for those who are not already committed to what they are committed to."

Comment

Originally posted by ronparise View Post
          with any luck my home in SW Florida will become the second home, and Ill be in timeshares primarly
          & you will be granted Urban Legend status, being only the second (known) to do that in 21 years of Internet timeshare forums.

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
            & you will be granted Urban Legend status, being only the second (known) to do that in 21 years of Internet timeshare forums.

It probably wont happen. One of our dogs just died and the other is 14. I figured we would be stepping up our travel schedule in a few years. But just this morning, since I posted my plan here, my wife sent me a list of dog breeders we need to research before we get our new puppy..... no more timeshare dreams for me. Now I have to figure out how to buy a second home in California (near the kids). I do know this...if it happens, my timeshares are going to pay for it.

back on topic...If you didnt read between the lines in my last post. Let me make myself clear... The major developers are going to become the secondary market buyers for their own product. (imo) There will still be a problem with the independent resort hoa's that they will have to address, or just go bankrupt

Comment

for example, Ive noticed the scarcity of Wyndham contracts on ebay.
              It's quite a leap to go from "fewer contracts for sale" to "Wyndham must somehow become aware of these contracts before they even go up for sale and buy them."

How are you getting from Point A to Point Z? (I suspect you've got the middle steps mapped out, but I confess I don't immediately see them.)

Comment

It probably wont happen. One of our dogs just died and the other is 14. I figured we would be stepping up our travel schedule in a few years. But just this morning, since I posted my plan here, my wife sent me a list of dog breeders we need to research before we get our new puppy..... no more timeshare dreams for me. Now I have to figure out how to buy a second home in California (near the kids). I do know this...if it happens, my timeshares are going to pay for it.
                Ah, pets. A dog and four cats here.

There's another problem in trying to timeshare 26 weeks straight.

- - - - -
                Let's face it, though, it would not even cross the minds of real people in the real world to think about timesharing for 3-6 months in Snowbird Season in Florida. They would either buy a place, or rent, of course, which is why there are 71,000 vacation rentals in Florida on just VRBO.

Comment

back on topic...If you didnt read between the lines in my last post. Let me make myself clear... The major developers are going to become the secondary market buyers for their own product. (imo) There will still be a problem with the independent resort hoa's that they will have to address, or just go bankrupt
                  This I agree with. For example, if Diamond can sell 30,000 point contracts in their Hawaii Collection for $80,000, why wouldn't they start acquiring that inventory at nominal cost. The better job the developer does selling developer perks, the more logical it is for them to become a place for owners to dump unwanted inventory.
                  “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

Originally posted by T. R. Oglodyte View Post
                    This I agree with. For example, if Diamond can sell 30,000 point contracts in their Hawaii Collection for $80,000, why wouldn't they start acquiring that inventory at nominal cost. The better job the developer does selling developer perks, the more logical it is for them to become a place for owners to dump unwanted inventory.
                    Even at the peak of their heyday, Wastegate would not take back stuff to resell. I know of few who will. I never could figure out why (really why) those who are so opposed to it are so opposed to it. It's hard to think of anything that gets sold that the seller would not like to get it back, for free lets say, so they can sell it again. It defies logic.

A list of those who do would be a nice aid for those who come here looking for advice. Then we could assume any not on the list do not take stuff back.

Comment

Originally posted by bnoble View Post
                      It's quite a leap to go from "fewer contracts for sale" to "Wyndham must somehow become aware of these contracts before they even go up for sale and buy them."

How are you getting from Point A to Point Z? (I suspect you've got the middle steps mapped out, but I confess I don't immediately see them.)
                      I'm thinking that this is sort of like what DVC does.
                      They don't go out looking for these deals but since they have ROFR the deals come to them.
                      They don't have to market that they buy these units they just snap them up.
                      In a way it's good for us who purchased direct since our product keeps most of it's value for now.
                      Of course that could all change if Disney decides they no longer want to sell timeshares.
                      Could happen but somehow I doubt it.

Wyndham can now do the same. Especially with adding ROFR to all their new resorts.

Comment

They don't go out looking for these deals but since they have ROFR the deals come to them.
                        No, the deals don't. New, stick-built construction costs about 20% of the selling price. Even now, the typical resale contract is higher than that. It is cheaper to build a new resort than to ROFR existing contracts.

Comment

Im connecting the dots I see, but no doubt that there are dots that I dont see... This is really more of a guess than anything else

1) at Wyndhams last Annual Meeting one of the Wyndham people I spoke to told me that they knew they had to get involved in the secondary market...they just didnt know how, yet
                          2) Wyndham has been playing with buybacks..Their pathways program is one example, and they have been contacting owners that are not using their ownerships effectively offering buybacks. and I know of several people that were able to hand their ownership back to Wyndham
                          3) Wyndham has an "Asset Light" strategy for growth. I cant conceive of a higher profit margin business, than buying points at a penny or less and selling them for 20 cents
                          4)I dont know that its Wyndham but I contacted several of the larger ebay sellers trying to buy another several million Wyndham points and was told by each one that they had a buyer for all their larger Wyndham contracts and he was paying about twice what I was willing to pay. They are selling the larger contracts before they get to ebay. and they wont sell to me.
                          5) Ive been calling around, talking to some other big Wyndham players and the rumor is Wyndham is buying, but no one knows for sure or if they do they arent saying.

So my Jesuit logic professors are probably rolling over in their graves, but Im taking the logical leap and guessing Wyndham is already in the secondary market

Comment

No, the deals don't. New, stick-built construction costs about 20% of the selling price. Even now, the typical resale contract is higher than that. It is cheaper to build a new resort than to ROFR existing contracts.
                            Maybe so, but if someone has their heart set on buying one of the sold out resorts then they exercise ROFR.
                            DVC keeps a waiting list for sold out resorts so all they have to do is connect the dots.
                            I've thought about doing that to get myself some small contracts that seem impossible to get on the secondary market.
                            On a small purchase not much of a difference paying DVC $125 a point as opposed to $100 to some reseller.

Comment

So my Jesuit logic professors are probably rolling over in their graves, but Im taking the logical leap and guessing Wyndham is already in the secondary market
                              Of course they are.
                              Now that the economy is better they don't need just anybody to pay MF's.
                              They've got fresh meat ripe for the BBQing.

Comment

Working...
                              X