Landline phones in timeshare units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landline phones in timeshare units

Some HOA's on the NC OBX have discussed removing the landline phones in TS units. The advent of cell phones has made maintaining the landlines more expensive, and also a lot less used. At one HOA annual meeting last year, when a board member threw out the idea, all the members present suggested pulling out the land lines immediately. None of them ever used them since they always brought their own cell phones.

Is anyone else running into this? Does anyone seem to think keeping the land lines continues to offer any value?

Very little value anywhere any more.

I was just thinking the other day how obsolete phrases like, "That's long distance," have become.

Our "local calling area" Up Yonder doesn't include anyone/anything we would ever call, so everything we would call was long distance.

When we got rid of ours the timeshare telemarketing calls stopped.
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinian View Post
      Does anyone seem to think keeping the land lines continues to offer any value?
      It *might* for international visitors, but even then probably not. Getting rid of them is a reasonable way to keep a lid on owner costs. I confess that we still have ours, but we probably shouldn't.

Comment

The only values I see are for contacts within the resort and calls into units about emergencies at home.

Comment

What about for wake up calls?
          Luanne

Comment

We have a rental villa in Florida, and if there is less than a six month lease, you must provide a landline for emergency purposes. That might be the law in some states and timeshares would be included.

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne View Post
              What about for wake up calls?
              You get wake-up calls at timeshares?
              RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                You get wake-up calls at timeshares?
                Sometimes. Like if we have an early flight, or need to get up early for something else..........like a sunrise whale watch.
                Luanne

Comment

Sometimes. Like if we have an early flight, or need to get up early for something else..........like a sunrise whale watch.
                  That's another thing I use my cell phone for these days. I used to carry a travel clock for that, but not any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinian View Post
                    That's another thing I use my cell phone for these days. I used to carry a travel clock for that, but not any more.
                    My dd does this as well. I don't like to leave my cell phone on during the night, and to be honest I haven't figured out how to use it to set alarms. Much easier to do the wake up call thing.
                    Luanne

Comment

My dd does this as well. I don't like to leave my cell phone on during the night, and to be honest I haven't figured out how to use it to set alarms. Much easier to do the wake up call thing.
                      that is one of the few things I know how to do, but my husband wanted a 5:45 wakeup, and when i turned it off I left it in the sheets, and then I washed the sheets. no more smart phone

Comment

One resort I visited on Grand Cayman had cell phones in the units for the use of guests. You just bought a SIM card to use it for the week.

Comment

I'm thinking of doing this for my home. I did it for our condo, but occasionally someone tries to call number we no longer have. I used a phone forwarding service for a year or so, but discontinued that. Does anyone know a good phone forwarding service? I used Park and Blend, but would not recommend or use again.

Nancy

Comment

Call your home phone provider. Most have this service built in.

Comment

I guess I need to clarify. Get rid of home phone (so no home phone provider), but have calls forwarded for a period (couple of years) to cell number.

Nancy

Comment

Working...
                              X