Landline phones in timeshare units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nancy View Post
    I'm thinking of doing this for my home. I did it for our condo, but occasionally someone tries to call number we no longer have. I used a phone forwarding service for a year or so, but discontinued that. Does anyone know a good phone forwarding service? I used Park and Blend, but would not recommend or use again.

Nancy
    We switched our 35 year old phone numbers, home and business to cell phones years ago. Why pay for both ? No land lines anymore for phones but oddly enough we are using the landline for high speed internet.

Comment

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
      We switched our 35 year old phone numbers, home and business to cell phones years ago. Why pay for both ? No land lines anymore for phones but oddly enough we are using the landline for high speed internet.
      we do not get good cell service in our Northern home, so we keep the land line and the internet through the land line. I called to ask what just internet would be, and it was fifty a month, verses 70 for land line and internet, so I figured it was worth keeping. I would like to get rid of our Florida land line though I haven't done it yet.

Comment

So, getting back to the original subject...the DW asked me if landlines were removed, and we needed to get ahold of maintenance or housekeeping, we would need to use the cell phones? What about calling if there is an emergency? Would it remove outside calls allowing inside resort calls only, or remove all the phones in the resort totally? Told her I didn't know, but what I am getting out of this conversation is that phones would be gone.

Landline free, cell phone only user since 2008.
        Don

Comment

Perhaps a system that only worked in resort would be a possible cost saving alternative.

Comment

I still think that some states insist on a landline for 911 calls on short term rentals. they do in Florida

Comment

Perhaps that can or has changed now that just about everyone has a cellphone.

Comment

Originally posted by vintner View Post
                So, getting back to the original subject...the DW asked me if landlines were removed, and we needed to get ahold of maintenance or housekeeping, we would need to use the cell phones? What about calling if there is an emergency? Would it remove outside calls allowing inside resort calls only, or remove all the phones in the resort totally? Told her I didn't know, but what I am getting out of this conversation is that phones would be gone.

Landline free, cell phone only user since 2008.
                I wonder why the phones in the resorts couldn't be set up through the internet service. All resorts I go to have internet. Wouldn't voip work in smaller resorts ?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyg View Post
                  The only values I see are for contacts within the resort and calls into units about emergencies at home.
                  ?Hubby's been on the unit land line more than once working out internet issues (he often does some work while on vacation). We also call in for little stuff (light bulbs out, missing TV remote), and generally get a call back to make sure we're happy after maintenance has been through. We don't answer the unit's phone otherwise and just let the machine pick up.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbitess View Post
                    We don't answer the unit's phone otherwise and just let the machine pick up.
                    I chuckled when I read that . . . When we used to exchange, we made it a practice to never answer the phone because 99.9999999% of the time at certain resorts (Wastegate, OLCC . . .) it was sales trying to talk us into a tour. So, one time we were at OLCC, I did not answer it all week, even though the message light was flashing. So, as we were leaving the unit to leave the unit, I checked the messages. One was from RCI wanting the exchange we had scheduled for that day (because of their overbooking at Weston . . . remember?).

They were offering us two units and a free exchange, but we didn't get it because we didn't answer the phone.

RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post

They were offering us two units and a free exchange, but we didn't get it because we didn't answer the phone.
                      Ouch! We won't answer, but we usually listen to the messages in a relatively timely fashion, although we have yet to run across a really exciting one. Sales calls are the standard, but some resorts will leave reminders on daily activities, maybe because we go offseason and the activities director is bored enough she's trying to convince someone to participate.

Comment

I use them sometimes for local calls- dinner reservations and so forth and also to call housekeeping/maintenance/front desk and to call someone staying in another unit/building. For the few times I have used them for long distance I bring a calling card with me. In fact, I also use the calling card at home for when I make calls from my landline. We have a limited cell phone and only use it for emergencies. In fact, we rarely have it turned on. I do have a smart phone from my job that I take with me, but I still use the unit landline when I am in the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by mpumilia View Post
                          I use them sometimes for local calls- dinner reservations and so forth and also to call housekeeping/maintenance/front desk and to call someone staying in another unit/building. For the few times I have used them for long distance I bring a calling card with me. In fact, I also use the calling card at home for when I make calls from my landline. We have a limited cell phone and only use it for emergencies. In fact, we rarely have it turned on. I do have a smart phone from my job that I take with me, but I still use the unit landline when I am in the unit.
                          I have a pre-paid calling card in my wallet that I can't remember the last time I used. When I used it, it was often at pay phones. Remember them?

RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Yep, and I seem to recall that many of the phone cards had expiration dates. Better look again.

Comment

No expiration date. I don't even have an actual card. Just keep the number written on a piece of paper. I renew for more minutes on-line like once a year. No biggie.

Comment

Originally posted by mpumilia View Post
                                I renew for more minutes on-line like once a year. No biggie.
                                While you're online renewing that calling card, you could just go ahead and call whoever it is you are getting a calling card to be able to call, and maybe facetime with them.

YMMV

Comment

Working...
                                X