No announcement yet.

Landline phones in timeshare units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually use the card for all the calls I make from my home landline as well. I only pay $6.00 per month to have the landline. I do not pay for my cellphone as it is a work phone, but it doesn't work well in the boon docks where I live. My husband has a $10 per month cell phone that stays at $10 as long as we don't go through the allotted minutes. He keeps that one in his car. He rarely, if ever uses it. Again, coverage is spotty where we live. I rarely call anyone anyway. I am sick of talking to people after working all day. The few people I ever call don't use Facetime and neither do I.

Comment

Guess the smilie I used was invalid.

RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Having a landline probably saved my life last year. If the ambulance had taken even an extra minute to get to me, I probably would have died in the ER. (I was bleeding internally, a LOT.) If you call 911 on a landline, they immediately know exactly where you are. I wouldn't want to be searching for my phone, finding out it had a dead battery, etc. when I or a loved one needed help right away.

I also like landlines because they have better sound quality. And, unlike VOIP, they rarely fail during power outages. My DH, who has worked as a radio engineer, says that landlines are more reliable than cell phones in power outages, too. Even if your phone is charged, your local cell tower may lose power.

When I was young, I worked as telephone operator. There was no 911 in those days. If you needed an ambulance, you'd dial "0" for the Operator. I remember a 911 call from a panic-stricken person who had no idea where they were. (This was a vacation area.) I can see a problem where someone needs an ambulance and all they can say is, "We're at a Marriott timeshare in Orlando." Triangulation will probably give a general idea of where the person is, but a landline gives a more precise location.

Originally posted by mpumilia View Post
        I actually use the card for all the calls I make from my home landline as well. I only pay $6.00 per month to have the landline. I do not pay for my cellphone as it is a work phone, but it doesn't work well in the boon docks where I live....
        wow, I wish I could get a landline for $6! This is in my old hometown of Pine Bush, correct? Who is the phone company there these days?

Comment

On third thought, it is probably a good idea for Lodging establishments to keep landlines in each room/unit. It would seem to be the best way to allow for communication between the office and guests and guests and other guests.

In the event of an emergency, direct dial 911 is also important:

http://nationswell.com/karis-law-mak...sier-dial-911/
          RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Judy, a fire truck and ambulance came to our house last week about 11:30, the problem was we never called. I asked if they were looking for our address on Apple Buttter, and they said where is apple butter, and they went to the next cul de sac. I am going to ask my neighbor if they called on a land line or cell. you want to talk about a delay, going to the wrong house really wastes time.

Comment

Originally posted by JudyS View Post
              Having a landline probably saved my life last year. If the ambulance had taken even an extra minute to get to me, I probably would have died in the ER. (I was bleeding internally, a LOT.) If you call 911 on a landline, they immediately know exactly where you are. I wouldn't want to be searching for my phone, finding out it had a dead battery, etc. when I or a loved one needed help right away.

I also like landlines because they have better sound quality. And, unlike VOIP, they rarely fail during power outages. My DH, who has worked as a radio engineer, says that landlines are more reliable than cell phones in power outages, too. Even if your phone is charged, your local cell tower may lose power.

When I was young, I worked as telephone operator. There was no 911 in those days. If you needed an ambulance, you'd dial "0" for the Operator. I remember a 911 call from a panic-stricken person who had no idea where they were. (This was a vacation area.) I can see a problem where someone needs an ambulance and all they can say is, "We're at a Marriott timeshare in Orlando." Triangulation will probably give a general idea of where the person is, but a landline gives a more precise location.

wow, I wish I could get a landline for $6! This is in my old hometown of Pine Bush, correct? Who is the phone company there these days?
              I don't think this is true if you have an unlisted number like I do in terms of them knowing where you are. And, yes, Pine Bush. II have a very basic plan like I explained and use a calling card for most of the calls. The company is Frontier, which we have our DSL service with as well. Plus, our security system runs through the phone line.
              mpumilia
              Last edited by mpumilia; 03-30-2016, 11:18 AM. Reason: Addition.

Comment

The unlisted number and calling 911 shouldn't be an issue.

From a 911 FAQ:
                Enhanced 911 Centers employ technology far beyond that available to the general public such as “Caller ID”. In fact even if you have an unlisted number or caller ID block, when you call 911 we still get your information. Furthermore, if you ever have a true emergency and dial 911, even if you hang up before the phone rings we will still get the information.
                Don

Comment

Originally posted by vintner View Post
                  The unlisted number and calling 911 shouldn't be an issue.

From a 911 FAQ:
                  Enhanced 911 Centers employ technology far beyond that available to the general public such as “Caller ID”. In fact even if you have an unlisted number or caller ID block, when you call 911 we still get your information. Furthermore, if you ever have a true emergency and dial 911, even if you hang up before the phone rings we will still get the information.
                  Good to know. With our regular calls we always have to hit *82 for some establishments/homes that will not accept calls from unlisted numbers.

Comment

Another little bit of info, sometimes if the police, hospital/clinic call, they will sometimes use blocked or unlisted numbers. I had a call confirming a doctor's appointment, the number was 'restricted' and the police have called me with a number of 000-0000.
                    Don

Comment

I'm a cell phone only user for about 12 years now, landline free at home, but I use the phone in the timeshare units to call the front desk for any maintenance issue or if I need something brought to the unit, so I am glad they are there.

The timeshare companies are going to probably want to keep them so they can call you to ask you to come to the free breakfast and presentations. I almost always get one or two calls into the unit for those.

If it saves a significant amount on annual fees, I would say get rid of them, but if it's only a little, then I think having the landline for an emergency would be well worth the cost.

Comment

Working...
                      X