Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Members - Please Introduce Yourself!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to the new members!

Originally posted by jfteague View Post
    I believe the four timeshares are (2) Marriot Vacations, (1) Havasu Dunes, and (1) Shell Vacations Club.
    I can't speak to any of those in particular (although my guess is that they've got points with Shell, in which case you're dealing with a slightly different market), but I do have some general advice. I agree that people should NOT be paying someone thousands of dollars to sell their timeshares. Some timeshares are worth more than that, and even if the ones you have turn out not to be worth much, if all your in-laws want to do is sell they can "give" them away for less or nothing.

When I say give, I mean to offer them for very little but be sure and have the buyer pay whatever transfer fees apply. We bought our Bluegreen points from a couple who just wanted to get rid of the yearly fees - we paid them five dollars direct and then paid all the transfer fees (I can't remember the exact sum but it was around five or six hundred). You can list them here and at TUG and other places on the Internet for under twenty bucks a shot. We knew of a reliable realtor so the risk wasn't high for either party; you could probably track down someone asking around as well. So that is an option if they are desperate to get rid of the things, and it's a much better option than paying someone thousands of dollars.

It's hard to figure real market value for a timeshare, since what you mostly see is people setting prices based on what they originally paid and few timeshares go for that much, but you should be able to get a rough idea with some research. You're taking the right step posting at this board but another subforum might get you more responses - if your in-laws have Shell points try starting a new thread in the points forum, and there's a Marriott forum as well. For the Havasu Dunes, maybe try the one for the South West region? Not sure on that one. But I do think you're more likely to get responses if you post elsewhere, since this is more of a "meet and greet" kind of thread.

Best of luck to you!

All Points Here - Timeshare Forums

Marriott - Timeshare Forums

South West Region - TX NM AZ NV OK - Timeshare Forums

Comment

• Looking for help for my dad

Hi my name is Mary Ann. I came here because it seems every time I google timeshare resales I find out they are scams. I figured a community forum made up of timeshare owners would be the place to find real help. I'm actually hoping for some advice. My dad is retired 82- he owns a timeshare in Mashpee MA. They recently increased the maintenance fee and demanded an extra fee for "improvements' that has made his timeshare too much of a burden. It's a red week and he used to use it when his brother was alive- they would exchange under RCI. His brother passed away a few years ago and it's not been used since. He's tried to get the place to just take it back but they won't. He now owes them over $1,000 for the $600 maintenance and :""extra payment" A new manager just bought the property and supposedly is redoing the whole place so a letter went out to all owners telling them they needed to pay an additional $400 on top of their $600 maintenance fee. My father is willing to practically give the place away- he just needs to find a legitimate way of doing so. He's already paid a company over $500 to take care of any legal paperwork involved in a transfer. If anyone has ANY suggestions or is interested please email me. I just want to help him. He's on a fixed income and can't afford this every year. I can't use it myself nor can I afford to take it over. I've heard even when you try donating it to places they charge you to take it over- is this true? As I said he would probably give this away for about $1,000 at this point. Anyway, I know this isn't much of an intro but I do hope I've come to the right place.

Comment

• Originally posted by michaela1
        My father is willing to practically give the place away- he just needs to find a legitimate way of doing so.
        Depending on how you define "practically give the place away," he can probably get rid of it, but he may need help within the family to get the Maintenance fees clear first. It's a buyer's market right now, and there are people willing to buy most Timeshares for cost (which is to say, buyer pays for the transfer fees). We bought our Bluegreen points this way - for five dollars plus costs of transfer. People are much more likely to buy if all the maintenance fees are up to date, though. I would recommend you list the TS here and at TUG for starts.

You also might ask on another subform - maybe the one that includes Massachusetts or in the RCI forum here - and find out what the TS is actually worth. Some timeshares are worth more than others, although even the ones that will bring in a bit of money will only bring in what the market will bear, and right now the market won't bear much. But even a pretty average TS will sell for costs if you can find the right customer. I suspect that here and TUG are where you're most likely to find someone who is interested.

Comment

• New Owner from Minnesota

I am LeRoy, and have a wife and 6 yr old boy. I recently bought a 1 bath 2 bedroom timeshare at Westgate Vacation Villa in the new town center. I am hoping to use this place, or use one of my get aways (12) per year. Any information on how everyone else likes the timeshares, any tips, anything welcome.

Comment

• Welcome. We have a Wastegate hate club here and sooner or later you will likely be a member.

Comment

• Really.....why is that?

Comment

• A little about myself...

I was half way through my introduction when my cat stepped on the keyboard.

I retired in 2004 and live in the Metro Detroit area. I retired young as I had 30 years with Ford Motor Company.

Right now it is late fall. And the chill is starting to settle in.

A little about myself - for 15 years I bred & showed Siamese cats; I got out of the hobby in 2002. Now, I am going to try my hand at breeding koi. I have a pond in my back yard as well as three 160-gallon containers, one 150-gallon container and a 100-gallon tank. I have a few spare 40-gallons. I plan on making my own shrimp with the 40-gallons. The shrimp will be treats for the koi. I hope breeding and selling koi will become a successful business in lieu of a hobby.

I have an acre in Nova Scotia, an Ocean View and three Deluxe Ocean Views at Maui's Ka'anapali Beach Club and one at Palm Beach Shores Resort. When I purchased the Palm Beach timeshare, I got two extra weeks as long as I keep up my RCI membership and pay the exchange fee.

I will have two timeshares at Ka'anapali Beach Club or any Diamond Resort that I plan on renting out and perhaps one of the weeks at an RCI resort. So, if you or someone you know is intested. Write me and we will chat.

All in all having these timeshares help to make the winter more bearable. It can get cold up here in Michigan.

I just got back from a 14-day Alaskan Cruise. I highly recommend it! I had a riot and made some new friends. That is what I would like to do - make new frienda at Ka'anapali Beach Club and Palm Beach Shores Resort. I plan on going at the same time of year and get to know others who also go at that time.

In a while I will be going to Palm Beach Shores Resort with my brother, sister-in-law and youngest niece and then we will go on a Caribbean Cruise. We will go to Costa Maya, Belize and Cozumel. I am excited!

Well I hope you all have a wonderful time as you journey through life.
                I like this Highlander saying: "May the Best You've Seen; Be the Worst You See.

Comment

Hi,

I'm Nivea... my husband & I just purchase timeshare in Westerly, RI... Ocean Club Atlantic Resort... we have 2 sons... one is almost 18 & the other is almost 22... we thought the price is right & figured the boys would get some use out of it since it's on the beach... but I'm still a little nervous about it... I've been reading a lot of post... trying to educate myself on the ins & outs of timesharing... I'm open to any advice...

Comment

• Hello from london. I could do with advice

Hi all. im Kevin.
                    I have a timeshare at Harborside atlantis paradise island. 1 bedroom lock off
                    i have it deposited in II.
                    i am traveling to Thailand on jan 2nd 2010....
                    i wonder if i could swap with someone my week deposited with interval for a week in thailand phukett ot pataya.
                    Could someone hep me as to where i should post such a request or indeed any other ideas as to how i can trade for a week in thailand.
                    cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by kmack View Post
                      Hi all. im Kevin.
                      I have a timeshare at Harborside atlantis paradise island. 1 bedroom lock off
                      i have it deposited in II.
                      i am traveling to Thailand on jan 2nd 2010....
                      i wonder if i could swap with someone my week deposited with interval for a week in thailand phukett ot pataya.
                      Could someone hep me as to where i should post such a request or indeed any other ideas as to how i can trade for a week in thailand.
                      cheers
                      Welcome Kevin

If it deposit to II already, you probably can not pull it out. So no direct exchange, for that week, you have to use II.

But as a TS owner, you may want to look at DAE or Redweek, to see if they have something there in place you like, you can deposit the year after next to them if they have one that fit your need. And try to find other vacation using II.

Or post a wish list in II sighting area (http://www.timeshareforums.com/forum...opportunities/)

Jya-Ning
                      Jya-Ning

Comment

• Originally posted by justrelaxing View Post
                        Really.....why is that?
                        Hi, LeRoy welcome.

Not Westgate owner, I can not comment on it, but if you do a search on Westgate, you may see a lot of posts about them. My understanding is they have great resort, but more focus on make more money from owners and not interest too much to add more values.

Jya-Ning
                        Jya-Ning

Comment

• Originally posted by Nivea View Post
                          Hi,

I'm Nivea... my husband & I just purchase timeshare in Westerly, RI... Ocean Club Atlantic Resort... we have 2 sons... one is almost 18 & the other is almost 22... we thought the price is right & figured the boys would get some use out of it since it's on the beach... but I'm still a little nervous about it... I've been reading a lot of post... trying to educate myself on the ins & outs of timesharing... I'm open to any advice...
                          Hi, Nivea, Welcome.

It is a beatutiful resort located on beatiful loactions. As long as you get the week you can visit most of the time, and bought from resale, it should be a very good ownership.

Jya-Ning
                          Jya-Ning

Comment

• Greetings from North Eastern Indiana

My name is Jon and I am also a member of TUG. My wife and I own 1 week at the Plantation Beach Club at the Indian River Plantation in Stuart, Florida and we also own one week at the Carriage House in Las Vegas, Nevada. We have owned the Carriage House Week since 1977 and the PBC week since 1986. When we bought the week at the Carriage House the maintenance fees were $4.00 per month. Yes you read that right, four dollars per month.

Over the years we have enjoyed our timeshare weeks by staying at our home resorts and we have also used the weeks as exchanges to other resort areas.

We also own a chalet in Gatlinburg, TN which we visit as often as we can and especially when NASCAR is in town at Bristol. We are auto racing fans and we live near the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the Michigan International Speedway, and Eldora speedway.

Jon

Comment

• Welcome, Jon77- and all other Tug members as well. You'll find there are numerous members that frequent both forums. I'm also pretty confident you'll find that this forum seems to stay pretty positive as a group- with members who love to travel!

I look forward to your posts!
                              my travel website: Vacation-Times.org.

"A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you’ve been taking."
                              ~Earl Wilson

Comment

• Hello,
                                We're new to the timeshare world. We purchased 4000 points with Great Links Resorts, Desert Canyon last year. When we purchased we hoped to use the different resorts in WA on long weekends using bonus time and saving/banking our points with Interval for a trip to Disney World. Wife and I are educators and our vacation times are limited to a week in the Spring and for the month of July and beginning of August. In addition, we have the occasional long weekends through the year. I hope to learn more about how best to use our timeshare and get advice from the experienced users around this site.

Comment

Working...
                                X