Best timeshare deal... or is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best timeshare deal... or is it?

Hi I am new to the Timeshare world. I went into a presentation a few days ago and bought from the salesman. I was told that this is different than the other timeshare out there.. so I can not find any deal better?!

This is a Vancouver (Canada) based timeshare. They have several home resorts to use. I get 25000 RCI points per year, around $320 CAD MF, $99US for the RCI member and max $99 for booking fee. I don't have a fix week or fix time anything like that. I was told that most of the timeshare are leased (not forever) or fixed weeks (not easy to exchange). I was told that the MF is very low compare with other TS. I also got some extra bonus .. 25000 bonus point first year, and each time I get them a business, I will get $600 CAD towards my MF.

Did I make a good deal?! Thank you in advance.

Originally posted by JBB View Post
    Hi I am new to the Timeshare world. I went into a presentation a few days ago and bought from the salesman. I was told that this is different than the other timeshare out there.. so I can not find any deal better?!

This is a Vancouver (Canada) based timeshare. They have several home resorts to use. I get 25000 RCI points per year, around $320 CAD MF, $99US for the RCI member and max $99 for booking fee. I don't have a fix week or fix time anything like that. I was told that most of the timeshare are leased (not forever) or fixed weeks (not easy to exchange). I was told that the MF is very low compare with other TS. I also got some extra bonus .. 25000 bonus point first year, and each time I get them a business, I will get $600 CAD towards my MF.

No you didn't. You didn't tell us what you paid, but it was too much. Send in your rescission now, if you can. 25,000 RCI points is diddley, won't book much of anything, you'll be severely disappointed. Read everything on this BBS for two months and call me the morning after.
    ... not enough time for all the timeshares ®

Comment

I was at Granville Island earlier this month, what a neat place. We loved Stanley Park also.

Comment

I was told that most of the timeshare are leased (not forever) or fixed weeks (not easy to exchange).
        Wrong and wrong.
        I was told that the MF is very low compare with other TS. I also got some extra bonus .. 25000 bonus point first year,
        Low but you don't get much for 25,000 points unless you like last minute trips.
        and each time I get them a business, I will get $600 CAD towards my MF.
        You wouldn't do that to your friend, now would you?

Comment

it was $12,500 CAD

It was 50c per point. I know it sounded a lot compare to what is out there. I was told that I could book the resort two years in advance.. is that the case for other TS? and I also heard that it would be difficult to do exchange if you have a fix week at a unit. the one I got just points.. I can choose to use it at home resorts or pay a small fee for the home resorts and use all my points elsewhere

again, I really appreciate any information .. especially when I still have a chance to back out

Comment

Granville Island and stanley Park are two of my fav spots in Vancouver too. I am glad you enjoyed it. Next time I can recommend some great dinning places to go.

Comment

It was 50c per point. I know it sounded a lot compare to what is out there. I was told that I could book the resort two years in advance.. is that the case for other TS? and I also heard that it would be difficult to do exchange if you have a fix week at a unit. the one I got just points.. I can choose to use it at home resorts or pay a small fee for the home resorts and use all my points elsewhere

again, I really appreciate any information .. especially when I still have a chance to back out
              Back out NOW!!! While you still can. We can help you define what best suits your needs and what you can find at a reasonable cost.

There many, many different flavors of timeshares now. From vanilla to pistacchio. Only you can determine what flavor is best for you but I can state with complete certainty that you do not want this deal.

ETA and at the end after asking questions and studying here you do decide you want this particular deal <which I doubt> it will still be there.
              Lawren
              ------------------------
              There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
              - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

If you still have a chance to back out, you should. Then you can do a lot of research here and on other timeshare sites. Jim is right, 25,000 RCI points will not get you much, unless you want to trade within a 45 day time frame. You can pick up RCI point weeks much cheaper on Ebay. Some have much higher maintenance fees than others. If you plan on trading with your points and not staying at the resort, then you are better off finding the most points for the least money (MFs have to be taken into account). I'd do some extensive research, then decide what kind of timeshare is right for you. Good luck!
                Jacki

Comment

I can back out still. I can use some more time for research. I just confirmed with DH about the MF. $275 CAD is pretty low for 25000 points?

Comment

A Deal?!

Hi JBB,greetings from beautiful Vancouver! We live in a small village in Delta ,whereabouts are you? JBB,just to let you know your question is not a simple one to answer in a few paragraphs.As Spence and Lauren2 suggested,pls do a search on this forum and on another forumTug2.net for the word "timesharing" first.It's always a joy to be able to go to the same condo every year at wherever you bought---it's like a second home!Remember to do some more searches on the forums and then ask specific questions.There is so much wisdom from all the members here! On the forums search threads or posts for "points","weeks","exchanging","maintenance fees","rentals" etc.etc.Jot down on a piece of paper w/your notes and go from there. What is the Canadian company that you wanted to buy from? Remember the majority of timeshares are all located in the States and how many low cost airlines leave from Vancouver? I love all the timrsharing places that I bought and one day I hope you will too....................Angie

Comment

You paid WAY too much, for too little. Rescind now, then do your research. Check completed ebay auctions for RCI points timeshares, so you can see what they go for.

here's one that went for $4500 US for 99,000 points:

eBay: 92, 500 RCI Points GOLD CROWN Florida TIMESHARE Deed (item 110112476420 end time Apr-17-07 12:45:00 PDT)

Comment

Angie.. We live in Vancouver.. the TS company is called point to point destination. Point to Point Destinations - Vacations, Timeshare, Vancouver, Whistler, Victoria: Vacation Properties They say as the owners we determine the MFs. there is annual meeting in Vancouver.. I do think it's nice to have something close to home.. Whistler may be a good idea (Intrawest) I guess it would be very expensive though..

From what I am hearing, it's not a good idea to buy direct period. There are a lot of readings to go through.. I am so excited! I think I need to make a big pot of coffee

Comment

JBB, welcome! You've found the right place to get information. I'm so glad you got here while you can still rescind.

The people here are friendly and have a lot of experience. You'll learn a lot here and you'll be so happy when you take your first timeshare vacation - especially when you know how much you saved by buying something resale instead of from a develper's salesman.

Good luck!

Sue

Comment

You guys are all very cool! I enjoy travelling and sharing information so this is really awesome. Thank you for having me

Comment

Originally posted by JBB
                              You guys are all very cool! I enjoy travelling and sharing information so this is really awesome. Thank you for having me
                              We are glad to have you here, welcome! People here are so willing to share their vast knowledge of buying, selling, renting, exchanging, etc.
                              When you are ready to exchange, you will appreciate the hard work behind all the exchange opportunities that are posted each day. In addition, we have fun and share other knowledge also. We hope you enjoy this site. Come frequently, and post often!
                              Jacki

Comment

Working...
                              X