Spirit Airlines - Yes or no, advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spirit Airlines - Yes or no, advice

Has anyone used Spirit Airlines recently? Is it worth the percieved savings?
    I see they're adding some seasonal flights from MSP to RSW, which fits into our travel plans.
    Two can fly for the price of one Delta or Sun Country fare, including one bag.

However, I hear the seats can be pretty small, especially if you're a tall person. True?
    If so, is it worth it to upgrade to the "Big Front Seats" for a 3 hour flight?
    Thanks for the advice.
    Jeanne

I hate them my frind loves them but I have no idea why he does. IMO They are the first to come up with a new fee. Recently the Gov steped in and stopped them from adding a few for sitting together since family's were being split up
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

I have only taken Spirit one time, to and from Nassau. I was impressed with how new the planes were. However, that cheap fee nearly doubles when all the fees are added on.

Comment

They have the smallest pitch in the US, by several inches. The seats do not recline (which, given the small pitch, may be a good idea). The fees add up unless you are very very careful. They do not have interline agreements.

If budget is a bit concern, then they may be worth it. Personally, I would not fly them on a bet.

Comment

I have flown them but never again. I looked at them again recently just to compare but once u add in the seat fee and bag fee they were more with connecting flights then two majors were with non stops.
          Pat
          *** My Website ***

Comment

I have not flown them and have no intention of ever flying them based on the complaints I've seen all to often on the internet. IMHO, fly them at your own risk and keep in mind, you get what you pay for.
            Our timeshare and other photo's at http://dougp26364.smugmug.com/

Comment

I've flown them a few times out of Ft. Lauderdale to the Dominican Republic.
              They have very few employees so you sit at an empty gate until about 5 minutes before boarding and wonder if they are even flying at all.
              I've not flown since they started charging for carryons. Used to be worth it before you had to pay for baggage since AA has a monopoly on expensive flights to the DR. Now I'd have to think long and hard before I fly them again. I will say our flight was empty compared to an AA flight which always goes packed, so had plenty of room to stretch out even though it's only a 2 hour flight.

Comment

We live in Fort Lauderale which is their hub. We have flown them a lot, and so have many of our friends. Yes, the fees add up. But the same is true on the major carriers these days. Checked luggage fees are less on Spirit than many of the other airlines we fly. And, as long as your carry on fits under the seat - you are not charged.
                Seat pitch may be closer than some airlines - but since the seats don't recline much - I don't find it much worse than being on a plane with more room between seats but someone in front of me fully reclined.
                Big front seats are nice for longer trips - like when we came back from Costa Rica on the night flight.
                Also, it makes sense to join the $9 fare club. Checked and carry on baggage fees are less.
                Seat fees aren't that bad and help to ensure you can sit together.
                The one thing that is difficult is that their weight limit is 40 pounds for one price, 50 pounds for another, and then more than 50. Also notice it isn't real easy to get customer service online - no contacts.
                Employees have been fine and they like to do fun things like SW - contests for free flights, etc.

Comment

If the choice was between walking and Spirit, I would choose walking.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone!
                    Jeanne

Comment

This is a boring journey with them.i don't like it.

DividendMiles
                      United Mileage Plus
                      US Airways Dividend Miles
                      DL Inc
                      Meeting Event Planner

Comment

Followup on this post - we bought those cheap tickets to Fort Myers. Based on your input, and thanks to booking early enough, I paid the extra fee for exit row seats. We checked one bag (so nice to pack light and do laundry in unit) and carried on a backpack for each of us. Crews both directions were great and very friendly. Our flights were both delayed due to weather delays on the inbound flights, but we were fine. Charges for snacks appeared to be a little less than on Delta and others. Overall, I'd say it was a good flight, and even with the add-on fees we still paid far less than the lowest competitor's fare. I'd fly Spirit again - as long as I had Exit Row!
                        Jeanne

Comment

You can avoid the bag fee by having a small bag. Long ago I bought a bag that fits perfect from carryonfree (I have no affiliation with them, they were the only ones that i could find that fit spirits dimensions exactly). You can get a lot more clothes in it than you think. Definitely saves money.

Comment

Working...
                          X