No announcement yet.

Do You Have a GPS You Would Recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Have a GPS You Would Recommend?

I am looking at the Garmin Nuvi 50LM, now on sale at Best Buy. Any other recommendations or comments will be appreciated. I would like to spend under $200. I need something easy to use. This will be my first GPS. Thanks.
    catwgirl
    Contributor - Bronze
    Last edited by catwgirl; 03-19-2013, 02:11 AM.

I use the free Google Navigation app that comes with my Android smartphone. When I have used it in a car with someone who had a Garmin or TomTom it has pewrformed comparably. Any differences in performance were certainly not worth the cost of switching to a different service.

My suggestion - if you are using a smart phone now, you should investigate what might be available as a GPS app. If you have gotten to this point without having GPS, you are clearly not a person who needs a high performance GPS. In that case, like me, a free app is perfectly fine.

If you don't have a smart phone but are ready to buy GPS, you should compare the cost of a GPS with the cost of upgrading to a smart phone. You very well might decide that you are better off using that money to help pay for a smart phone that includes instead of staying with your old phone and getting a separate GPS service.
    “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

We've had several different Garmin devices (handheld and automobile) and have had no problems.

Nancy

Comment

I use the free Google Navigation app that comes with my Android smartphone.
        I have this, but ended up switching back to the TomTom app that I had previously bought. It has some bells and whistles that either the google nav app didn't offer, or I could not figure out how to get to.

Comment

Originally posted by T. R. Oglodyte View Post
          I use the free Google Navigation app that comes with my Android smartphone. When I have used it in a car with someone who had a Garmin or TomTom it has pewrformed comparably. Any differences in performance were certainly not worth the cost of switching to a different service.

My suggestion - if you are using a smart phone now, you should investigate what might be available as a GPS app. If you have gotten to this point without having GPS, you are clearly not a person who needs a high performance GPS. In that case, like me, a free app is perfectly fine.

If you don't have a smart phone but are ready to buy GPS, you should compare the cost of a GPS with the cost of upgrading to a smart phone. You very well might decide that you are better off using that money to help pay for a smart phone that includes instead of staying with your old phone and getting a separate GPS service.
          Ditto. I did trial the Verizon ap ($5/month after trial period) but found Google Navigator to be just as good and free. I really only use it for road trips or when on vacation or on business trips and it does that well enough.
          Lawren
          ------------------------
          There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
          - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

I don't recommend Magellan. I've sent my unit in for repair and I believe they just repackaged it and returned it to me. Any time it gets a little warm in the car the darned thing freezes. Plus they never offered updated maps for it, and the only map available was U.S.A. I do like the features, but they mean little when you have to keep resetting the thing.
            No one can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it. - T. Bankhead

Comment

The only problem I have with smartphone apps is that when my phone rings, it throws me off. No biggie if you're on a highway and the next turn isn't for awhile, but if you're in an area with frequent turns (or a phone that rings constantly) it might be more of an annoyance. I have used Garmin (which I loved) but after a few years I bought a TomTom w/ a traffic receiver and lifetime map updates. I liked the Garmin better, but the TomTom does the job.
              Juanita

Comment

Originally posted by bnoble View Post
                I have this, but ended up switching back to the TomTom app that I had previously bought. It has some bells and whistles that either the google nav app didn't offer, or I could not figure out how to get to.
                We also prefer TomTom to Garmin - seems much easier to use. But now I wouldn't buy any GPS - the GPS/Maps in every Smartphone, especially Droid models, is as good or better than the stand alones & stay up to date on their own. One less thing to carry around / keep updated and charged. With a smartphone I'm able to stop buying cameras, GPS, separate cell phone, Digital Assistant (palmPilot), MP3 player, Kindle and more - it's all in one easy to carry Smartphone. I never want to return to multiple dedicated items vs that always on and single device. Pair that with a Tablet or a full featured laptop and that's all you'd need. Buying separate, dedicated devices such as a GPS makes no sense at all today.

Comment

Note that I switched to the TomTom *app*, not *device*. It's just another smartphone app, so still just one device, but in my experience it is more functional than the Google nav app.

Comment

We're on our 4th Garmin, and have loved each one. This one will be with us longer than the previous ones because it came with free maps for life, and it takes chips so we can buy maps of other countries on chips for about $20.00 each, which we did for Spain/Portugal and Mexico. Ours was purchased at Costco for about $120.00. Whichever one you get, be sure you have free maps for life. That's why we replaced the others: new maps, then, cost almost as much as buying a new one and getting whatever new features they had added at that time.
                    "You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity." Adrian Rogers

Comment

+1 for the TOM TOM. Even though this has Mexico maps it was hard to use In Mexico, imo.

Bill

Comment

Thanks for all the responses.

I do have a smartphone, but it belongs to the office. I am retiring at the end of this year, and will be getting a personal phone then. I got tired of carrying two phones all the time, so gave up the personal one I had. It does have a navigation app, but I haven't used it much.

Comment

Originally posted by catwgirl View Post
                          Thanks for all the responses.

I do have a smartphone, but it belongs to the office. I am retiring at the end of this year, and will be getting a personal phone then. I got tired of carrying two phones all the time, so gave up the personal one I had. It does have a navigation app, but I haven't used it much.
                          So it looks as if you have the following options:

1. "plain" phone + separate GPS

2. Smartphone with GPS app

3. smartphone + separate GPS

I can't see where three makes any sense for you - since you haven't used GPS to this point your GPS needs should be pretty simple.

I you would be getting a smart phone even without considering GPS then I would think #2 is my best option. If you wouldn't be getting a smart phone you should then decide whether having GPS available is enough to tip the scales to a smart phone for you.

In the time you have left with your business smartphone, you should get familiar with the Navigation app and see how it works for you.
                          “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

The phone isn't as good a solution as the GPS if you are in the car by yourself; then, it's nice to have it. The phone, on the other hand, is more portable.
                            "You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity." Adrian Rogers

Comment

The phone isn't as good a solution as the GPS if you are in the car by yourself; then, it's nice to have it.
                              Why do you think so? I have both a standalone tomtom and the tomtom smartphone app. Both are comparable in terms of usability.

Comment

Working...
                              X