No announcement yet.

Do You Have a GPS You Would Recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are also various windshield mounts and vent mounts available for low cost on ebay and they'll hold your phone just like a GPS unit.

I use my iPhone all the time. I either use Apple's maps program or I also have Navigon (Garmin) which downloads the maps to my phone and it works perfectly even in areas of no cell coverage.

Comment

Garmin of any kind.

Agree to get lifetime maps. Don't forget that some cities of the world allow you to pay $10 to have that map. My Garmin has pedestrian mode so I could buy, for example, San Paulo, Brazil, and get around quite fine on foot or bike or whatnot.

Comment

I use a Garmin, which I love and my oldest son uses his smart phone and I would say it is just as accurate and I can't tell the difference. If you have a smart phone, don't spend the money on a GPS. Good luck.
        Kay H

Comment

For me, the big screen and sound are nice. I'm sure there's no difference with accuracy.
          "You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity." Adrian Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy View Post
            We've had several different Garmin devices (handheld and automobile) and have had no problems.

Nancy
            Same here.
            Luanne

Comment

Originally posted by FreeIn2010 View Post
              The only problem I have with smartphone apps is that when my phone rings, it throws me off. No biggie if you're on a highway and the next turn isn't for awhile, but if you're in an area with frequent turns (or a phone that rings constantly) it might be more of an annoyance. I have used Garmin (which I loved) but after a few years I bought a TomTom w/ a traffic receiver and lifetime map updates. I liked the Garmin better, but the TomTom does the job.
              That is a good point to consider if you are on the phone alot while driving, say business calls.

The MapQuest free app for iPhone is great, if I am on the phone it still talks over you (even in the earpiece of my hands free device) to give the directions, but would be incredibly annoying if on a business call.

For my vacation and personal travels, the MapQuest is a great free program.
              Pat
              *** My Website ***

Comment

Originally posted by buzglyd View Post
                There are also various windshield mounts and vent mounts available for low cost on ebay and they'll hold your phone just like a GPS unit.

I want to look into one of these dashboard holders, does anyone recommend a particular one to use with the iPhone that also allows you to use your car charger?
                Pat
                *** My Website ***

Comment

I think mine is made by Kensington. It comes with a suction cup mount for the windshield and a vent mount. You can use either. It grips the phone from the sides so it's easy to plug it in for charging while you're using GPS. Look on Amazon for the best prices.

Comment

Originally posted by buzglyd View Post
                    I think mine is made by Kensington. It comes with a suction cup mount for the windshield and a vent mount. You can use either. It grips the phone from the sides so it's easy to plug it in for charging while you're using GPS. Look on Amazon for the best prices.
                    Thanks
                    Pat
                    *** My Website ***

Comment

Originally posted by Pstreet1 View Post
                      For me, the big screen and sound are nice. I'm sure there's no difference with accuracy.
                      Yes, plus, I don't have/don't want a smartphone.

The Garmin has features that the scaled down apps do not. A Map/Directions is not the only usage.

I also would never lend my phone to someone to take on a trip but I have no problem lending out my Garmin.

Comment

Both the Garmin and smartphone apps will work except for the phone issues discussed here. I just returned from a trip through the Los Angeles basin from my home in the Calif central coast to Orange county. I used the Garmin which has traffic reports and updates the route based on real time traffic. Both directions I was diverted from my planned route to avoid major delays. That alone was well worth having the GPS device. If you are traveling in a major metro area, I would recommend the traffic reporting feature. The map updates are important because it would cost me $50 to update once or $90 to get lifetime updates.

Comment

I ended up ordering a 5 inch Garmin, with mount and a case. I used an American Express gift card that I received when I took a Wyndham tour in Las Vegas. I even have a few $$ left over on the card. Thank you Wyndham.

Comment

We have a Garmin and a TomTom. They both came with lifetime maps. I prefer the TomTom because the user interface is easier for me. One thing to consider no matter which you is screen size. I like the larger screen for my old eyes.

Comment

Its either T or G. Each has their own fanboys

Comment

Originally posted by catwgirl View Post
                                I ended up ordering a 5 inch Garmin, with mount and a case. I used an American Express gift card that I received when I took a Wyndham tour in Las Vegas. I even have a few $$ left over on the card. Thank you Wyndham.
                                Awesome! I also have the large screen and love it.

May you have many happy travels and No Getting Lost! The Places Nearby is one of the features I use quite frequently and makes it easy to find something to eat along the way on a road trip. I also like that hotel phone numbers are included as I have called from the road up a few exits to see who has vacancy, cost, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X