Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this type of airline pricing come to the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this type of airline pricing come to the US?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...by-weight.html

Interesting.

Comment

I just want the ability to bill the passenger next to me for part of my fare when he spills into my seat.

Comment

Sensible.

You need to track weight carefully on small planes so why not big ones.

Comment

If they do, at least I would hope that it would be combined weight of passenger and luggage. That way those of us who travel light would get rewarded for it.

Comment

It would make sense if they actually provided larger seats for those paying more. I'm a hair under 6'4" I'd pay more in a heartbeat if they would actually provide more leg room.

sent from the bathroom using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ridewithme38 View Post
              It would make sense if they actually provided larger seats for those paying more. I'm a hair under 6'4" I'd pay more in a heartbeat if they would actually provide more leg room.
              They do give you that option. It's called business and first class.

Kurt

Comment

The article said the fare was the combined weight of passenger and baggage.
                “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

Originally posted by T. R. Oglodyte View Post
                  The article said the fare was the combined weight of passenger and baggage.
                  Yes, this airline has done that, but who knows what a North American airline that went this direction would do. Hopefully they would follow the same path, but who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinian View Post
                    Yes, this airline has done that, but who knows what a North American airline that went this direction would do. Hopefully they would follow the same path, but who knows?
                    Yeah - that's the question, isn't it. I suspect that any US airline that attempted such pricing would get hit with a lawsuit alleging illegal discrimination and unfair business practices.
                    “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

Originally posted by T. R. Oglodyte View Post
                      Yeah - that's the question, isn't it. I suspect that any US airline that attempted such pricing would get hit with a lawsuit alleging illegal discrimination and unfair business practices.
                      If Mayor Bloomburg hears of this, he might try to require it on all flights leaving New York airports. They never served big sodas on airplanes, but this would seem right up his street.

Comment

Just saw this thread -- I suspect that the article may be a joke, as it was published on April 1st. If it's serious and airlines were to implement such as policy, I'd say the policy was quite unfair to heavier people. With larger airplanes, the weight of the passengers is quite small compared to the weight of the empty plane. For example, a 747-400 weighs about 400,000 pounds without passengers, fuel, or cargo. It seats about 400 people. Even if those 400 people were to gain an extra 50 pounds each, that would be only 20,000 pounds --about 5% of the weight of the empty aircraft. The passengers' added weight would require some extra fuel, but the amount would be pretty small compared to the fuel required to move the plane itself.

It's like the articles I've seen -- serious ones -- saying that fat people are the cause of global warming because they cause poorer auto fuel economy. I've yet to see a person who weights as much as an SUV. (An empty Chevy Suburban weighs over 5,500 pounds.)

Also, if larger people are going to pay more, they should get a larger seat.
                        JudyS
                        Last edited by JudyS; 04-12-2013, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Samoa and the South Pacific region have obesity rates that are among the world's highest. The planes are propeller planes, and weight and distribution of weight are important.

Here is the Samoa Air website with a full explanation of how the system works.

http://www.samoaair.ws/

'Pay only for what you weigh'!

We at Samoa Air are keeping airfares fair, by charging our passengers only for what they weigh. You are the master of your Air'fair', you decide how much (or little) your ticket will cost. No more exorbitant excess baggage fees, or being charged for baggage you may not carry. Your weight plus your baggage items, is what you pay for. Simple.

The Sky's the Limit!
                          It isn't a "public health initiative" as such, but I think it will have far reaching public health benefits.
                          CarolF
                          Last edited by CarolF; 04-12-2013, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X