Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will they hold my luggage? (Quantas-Brisbane for the day)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will they hold my luggage? (Quantas-Brisbane for the day)

Will they hold my luggage? (Quantas-Brisbane for the day)

I am planning a trip to Australia next year.

My current plan is 5-6 days in Sydney, 6 days at the Great Barrier Reef and then 3-4 days in Melbourne.

I see when I am looking at the Cairns to Melbourne leg that I can fly direct (3H, 30 minutes) or fly with a stop in Brisbane.

I can arrive in Brisbane at 7:30 am and get a connecting flight at 6, 7 or 8pm. This would allow us to go into town and do the HOHO Bus, spend the day, similar to a cruise ship stop .

My question is, since the airline allows me to do this booking, will they hold my luggage between these flights? Since I would be ticketed CNS-MEL, my thought is yes. We will be flying on Quantas. If they won't hold my luggage, is there an option to have it held at the airport? If not, we would need to arrange a private tour where we would keep our luggage with us, but I prefer not to do this.
    Pat
    *** My Website ***

If they didn't maybe you could get an airport hotel room and they'd hold it for you.
    Then you'd have someplace to freshen up too or if you are like me take a nap.

Comment

There is an option to have it held at Brisbane airport and pay by time (in 4 hour blocks). Here is the info from the Brisbane Airport Corporation website (Q. Is there somewhere for me to store my belongings while I take a day trip into Brisbane City?):

http://www.bne.com.au/help/faq/terminal-information

Baggage lockers are available and located at both the Virgin and Qantas end of the DomesticTerminal and at the International Terminal.

The AU$ hire amount is determined by locker size (see table below).
      Payment types – Credit card, AUD notes and coins.
      The service is available 24 hours a day.
      Lockers are single use only.

Service Fees in AUD:
      Locker Size Initial Hire Period (4 hours) Initial Fee Second Hire Period (4 hours) Additional Fee Third Hire Period (16 hours) Total (24 hour period)
      Small $4 $2 $2 $8
      Medium $6 $2 $2 $10
      Large $8 $2 $2 $12

There are also lockers available at the Village Markets and Roma Street Transit Centre in Brisbane City. Please find more information below or call Smartecarte on 1800 808 251.

Roma Street Transit Centre - Brisbane City

Locker facilities are also available at the Roma Street Transit Centre in Brisbane City, you would need to contact them directly for information regarding this service on free call 1800 632 640.
      These facilities are useful when travelling into Brisbane Central and Airtrain travels directly from the terminals to Roma Street Transit Centre (for train timetable enquiries please contact Airtrain on +61 7 3216 3308.)

Unaccompanied Baggage

If you are travelling on from Brisbane you may like to consider sending your luggage ahead as unaccompanied baggage. You can do this at the Qantas unaccompanied baggage counter located on Level 4 of the International Terminal. Call them on 1300 368 747 to find out costs and details.
      Here is the info from the Qantas website about Unaccompanied Baggage.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...gage/global/en

Unaccompanied Baggage
      We offer an unaccompanied baggage service on most routes. This service may be a convenient and cost-effective alternative to paying excess baggage rates. You must hold a valid international ticket (for travel on any airline) between the origin and destination airports.
      The baggage must be consigned at the freight terminal before your flight and can only consist of personal clothing and articles including books, portable music instruments and portable sporting equipment.
      Unaccompanied Baggage is carried on a 'space available' basis to the destination, not necessarily on the same flight as the passenger.
      Note: You may be required to pay handling or government customs and quarantine charges at the destination for your unaccompanied baggage.
      Note: The US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) have placed restrictions on uplifting personal effects and household goods to the USA. These restrictions also apply to unaccompanied baggage accepted as freight to the USA.
      For more information call 1300 373 444 within Australia or your local Qantas Freight Sales office.
      CarolF
      Last edited by CarolF; 06-02-2013, 09:23 AM. Reason: added to

Comment

Originally posted by CarolF View Post
        There is an option to have it held at Brisbane airport and pay by time (in 4 hour blocks). Here is the info from the Brisbane Airport Corporation website (Q. Is there somewhere for me to store my belongings while I take a day trip into Brisbane City?):

http://www.bne.com.au/help/faq/terminal-information
        CarolF, exactly what I was looking for - thanks so much.....this way I know there is an option if they will not transfer it from one flight to the next.
        Honestly I prefer not to waste time having to pick up the luggage but at least there is an option.

Thank you Chris
        Pat
        *** My Website ***

Comment

Check with the airline. I know that some will just put the luggage on the next flight to your destination. I was told by one airline (can't remember which) that the only time they don't hold it is if your flight is the next day.
          Pat H

Comment

Originally posted by Pat H View Post
            Check with the airline. I know that some will just put the luggage on the next flight to your destination. I was told by one airline (can't remember which) that the only time they don't hold it is if your flight is the next day.
            Thank you Pat, I suspect they will hold as we are ticketed thru - CSN-BNE-MEL - for 10K FF miles - just wanted to check if there WAS another option.
            Remember when we had airport lockers in the US - pre-9/11 - made things so much easier.
            And I am happy to squeeze in another stop on this trip as well.
            Pat
            *** My Website ***

Comment

Originally posted by GrayFal View Post
              CarolF, exactly what I was looking for - thanks so much.....this way I know there is an option if they will not transfer it from one flight to the next.
              Honestly I prefer not to waste time having to pick up the luggage but at least there is an option.
              You're welcome. The only "transfer from one flight to the next" service I am aware of is the "unaccompanied baggage" service. The rules (above) suggest to me that it is an international option, I'm not sure what they will do for you domestically.

Comment

Pat, I hope you've got the FF seats! Which airline/FF program do you use and which month?

Comment

Originally posted by LisaH View Post
                  Pat, I hope you've got the FF seats! Which airline/FF program do you use and which month?
                  April, using AA miles on Quantas.
                  Definitely not the nightmare I had leaving in January when we went last time. I enjoyed flying Quantas on the way home but Air Pacific (soon to be renamed Air Fiji) going over was Very unpleasant/uncomfortable.

Just need some suggestions for an inexpensive place to stay in Melbourne. Want to do the great ocean road trip that we missed the last time.
                  Pat
                  *** My Website ***

Comment

Working...
                  X