Guide to tourism etiquette around the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide to tourism etiquette around the world

First the Parisian tourist board published “Do You Speak Touriste” for the hospitality sector and now Britain has followed suit with "VisitBritain". Some Dos and dont's from VisitBritain -

Do: Understand that Indians are amiable but have a tendency to change their minds quite frequently.
    Do: Ensure tourists from Russia -- a "tall nation" -- are housed in rooms with high ceilings and doorways.
    Do: Realize that Australian people are being endearing when they make jokes about "Poms" [Aussie slang for British people].
    Do: Anticipate all of the needs of a Japanese visitor -- even if they haven't told you what they are.
    Do: Deal promptly with any complaint from German or Austrian tourists, who can be "straightforward and demanding" to the point of "seeming rude and aggressive."
    Don't: Ask superstitious people from Hong Kong to sleep in a historic property or a four-poster bed, because they associate them with ghostly encounters.
    Don't: Exchange a smile or make eye contact with anyone from France who you do not know.
    Don't: Describe a visitor from Canada as "American."
    Don't: Try to talk to Belgians about their country's politics or language divisions.
    Don't: Say "no" in a direct way to a Japanese tourist -- instead think of a "nicer alternative."

Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/local_...#ixzz2rPxXJiX1

For the Chinese traveller, the National Tourism Administration publicised its 64-page "Guidebook for Civilised Tourism" - with illustrations to accompany its list of dos and don'ts -

Chinese visitors to Germany should only snap their fingers to beckon dogs, not humans.
    Women in Spain should always wear earrings in public - or else be considered effectively naked.
    And diners in Japan were instructed not to play with their clothes or hair during a meal.

It warned travellers not to pick their noses in public, to keep their nose-hair neatly trimmed and, if they had to pick their teeth, never to use their fingers.
    It also urged them not to occupy public toilets for long periods of time or leave footprints on the toilet seat. Nor should they pee in swimming pools.
    Travellers should not drink soup straight from the bowl or make slurping sounds when eating noodles, it warned.
    And after taking a flight they must leave the life jackets underneath their seats, the rulebook said, explaining that "if a dangerous situation arises then someone else will not have a life jacket".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...#ixzz2rQ32IqdL

Hmmm, food for thought.

It warned travellers not to pick their noses in public, to keep their nose-hair neatly trimmed and, if they had to pick their teeth, never to use their fingers
    Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

Why would they take the life jacket?!?
      Syd

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
        Why would they take the life jacket?!?
        One article mentioned that it was common to take cutlery, pillows and life jackets as souvenirs. What you would do with a plane life jacket, I can't imagine.

I did think some suggestions like "don't imitate an Indian guests accent" seemed blindingly obvious, until I remembered that I have been greeted with G'day mate on a few occasions. To be honest, I'm glad that these sort of publications are now available because I'm sure I have unwittingly offended people due to my ignorance. I've forgotten to remove my shoes when entering a shop or home, patted a child on the head and I've shown annoyance when the hundredth person asked "where are you going?" As the latest "new tourists", the Chinese will eventually find their way and we will gradually get used to their different ideas of manners, just as they will get used to ours.

Comment

Working...
        X