No announcement yet.

Would you fly on Ebola Airline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would bet $100 that if a Republican was President the ounce of prevention senario would have been implemented by using travel restrictions to hot zones in conjunction with some other expansive common sense protocols instead of the exorbitant meager attempts to establish methods that place Americans at risk that have been implemented in this possible pre-pan -endemic.

Comment

It is a sad day when Nigeria is more competent in handling ebola than the United States. They were not telling people who were in quarantine that it was okay to fly around the country. And sending soldiers with little protective equipment into the hot zone is just madness, especially when some of them are likely to be National Guard.

http://www.realclearworld.com/articl...la_110756.html

We have to remember that Nigeria's ebola problem, like that of the US was imported from Liberia by a Liberian citizen traveling by air.

According to the International SOS website, 28 countries so far have restricted travel from Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone. This includes quite a few black ruled countries in Africa as well as in the Caribbean, so the racial argument that some use against travel restrictions is pure hogwash.
      Carolinian
      Super Moderator
      Last edited by Carolinian; 10-21-2014, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinian View Post
        I have business trips in the next month to Lisbon, Paris, Dublin, London, Rome, Milan, and Venice. After our corporate travel office made the air bookings, my staff member who is travelling with me and I went over everything with an eye to airlines and other potential danger points for ebola. Fortunately we are not going through Brussels on any connections or flying on Brussels airlines for any legs, but my staff member was a bit nervous about London and Paris due to all the connecting traffic through there, and since we make our own hotel reservations, I agreed that we would not get hotel rooms near either of those airports (even though we have very early flights out) but stay in the city center instead.
        I've personally planned a lot of complex, and quite risky, personal adventures to remote places in developing countries but I've always been able to structure my plans to meet travel insurance requirements.

What are you doing about insurance for medical costs in case of an Ebola infection or contact? I can't find any policies that cover H1N1 nevermind Ebola. Afaik, WHO determines the care required and location, so there isn't a choice for medical evacuation. Selling all assets to raise money to pay medical costs is a new, unpalatable and unacceptable concept here. Do you, or are you able, to structure your finances to protect assets? How about plans in the event that you need to self isolate OS for an extended period of time, or are blocked from returning home. I often wonder what would happen to the people on a cruise ship if there was a couple of people with infections. I can imagine a lot of countries turning them away.

Such interesting times atm. I hear that MSF is pretty straight talking and their volunteers are told "Do you know that if you get sick, we won’t bring you home? Do you know that if you die, we won’t bring your body back and you’ll be buried there?” Quite confronting.

Comment

My employer paid medical insurance is excellent, and includes air medevac. Indeed, we also have political risk evac coverage as well, as our office in Tblisi had to take advantage of when the Russian army invaded Georgia a few years ago (but thanks to the Russian airforce, it was safer to get out overland than by air). Some of our staff in our African offices (we do not have any in the infected countries themselves) inquired specifically about ebola and were told it was covered. I wonder if next year's policy will modify that.

As to protecting assets, owning real estate with my wife as ''tenants by the entirety'' protects that against any claims that involve just one of us, and in North Carolina retirement accounts are also fully protected.

Originally posted by CarolF View Post
          I've personally planned a lot of complex, and quite risky, personal adventures to remote places in developing countries but I've always been able to structure my plans to meet travel insurance requirements.

What are you doing about insurance for medical costs in case of an Ebola infection or contact? I can't find any policies that cover H1N1 nevermind Ebola. Afaik, WHO determines the care required and location, so there isn't a choice for medical evacuation. Selling all assets to raise money to pay medical costs is a new, unpalatable and unacceptable concept here. Do you, or are you able, to structure your finances to protect assets? How about plans in the event that you need to self isolate OS for an extended period of time, or are blocked from returning home. I often wonder what would happen to the people on a cruise ship if there was a couple of people with infections. I can imagine a lot of countries turning them away.

Such interesting times atm. I hear that MSF is pretty straight talking and their volunteers are told "Do you know that if you get sick, we won’t bring you home? Do you know that if you die, we won’t bring your body back and you’ll be buried there?” Quite confronting.
          Carolinian
          Super Moderator
          Last edited by Carolinian; 10-21-2014, 09:35 AM.

Comment

My employer paid medical insurance is excellent, and includes air medevac.
            Some of our staff in our African offices (we do not have any in the infected countries themselves) inquired specifically about ebola and were told it was covered. I wonder if next year's policy will modify that.
            We can get excellent insurance too but from the recent worldwide insurance industry announcements, I'm pretty sure that there isn't anyone who will/can medivac an Ebola or suspected Ebola patient. I know you have completed your plans for flight and hotels choices around avoiding Ebola. Have you completed your plans for international medical care and accommodation yet?

Comment

I see that Australia is now restricting travel from the infected countries in West Africa:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...as-Africa.html

Comment

Yes. Australia's a bit like that. We're good at keeping people out...unless they're white and privileged that is.
                Syd

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                  Yes. Australia's a bit like that. We're good at keeping people out...unless they're white and privileged that is.
                  Actually, there are at least 30 countries now restricting travel from the ebola infected countries, and those 30 include a number of black ruled countries in Africa and the Caribbean as well as countries in the Middle East like Saudi Arabia (which cancelled over 7,000 visas from the infected countries for Muslim pilgrims on the Hajji to Mecca). I think the idea is to protect a country's own people from disease.

Comment

I think the idea is to protect a country's own people from disease.
                    Russian citizens are being warned not to travel abroad because of Ebola and Pyongyang has announced that foreign nationals will be put under medical observation for 21 days regardless of country or region of origin.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ause-of-ebola/
                    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...reigners-ebola

How are your Ebola avoidance travel plans going?

Comment

Russian citizens are being warned not to travel abroad because of Ebola and Pyongyang has announced that foreign nationals will be put under medical observation for 21 days regardless of country or region of origin.

Given the regimes in those two places, ebola is good cover for other objectives. In Russia, the hard fall of the value of the rouble is probably more of a motive to try to keep people home, so they are not changing roubles to other currencies. I have read that some state enterprises are requiring employees to vacation in Crimea or is Russia instead of abroad.

Actually, I am at the airport right now, getting ready to board a Turkish Airlines flight,heading to Dublin via Istanbul.

Comment

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
                        I would bet $100 that if a Republican was President the ounce of prevention senario would have been implemented by using travel restrictions to hot zones in conjunction with some other expansive common sense protocols instead of the exorbitant meager attempts to establish methods that place Americans at risk that have been implemented in this possible pre-pan -endemic.
                        So the big question is "If a Republican was President" would Kaci lose her bicycle?

Comment

Actually, I am at the airport right now, getting ready to board a Turkish Airlines flight,heading to Dublin via Istanbul.
                          I like their humorous adverts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	khd.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	923289

Comment

We booked our airline fares to Mexico or we were not getting a seat on the plane anymore for the holidays. So far, we are ignoring it.

We shouldn't be lied to and find out the truth how much of a thread Ebola really is or isn't!

Comment

Thought you all might enjoy a little humor from the Brits.

http://bluenationreview.com/differen...ll-make-laugh/

Comment

Thanks Chriskre! Very funny.

Comment

Working...
                                X