Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	ba4e64857b3547a666d35b47f6aa40a6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	923290

Comment

Originally posted by chriskre View Post
      Thought you all might enjoy a little humor from the Brits.

http://bluenationreview.com/differen...ll-make-laugh/
      Very funny, Chris, especially one talking to the other at the end of the clip.

Comment

Now Canada has stopping issuing visas in the infected countries:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ca...rticle/2555570

Comment

New Ebola Screening Procedures for Travelers from the United States and Spain
          October 21, 2014
          On October 19, the Rwandan Ministry of Health introduced new Ebola Virus Disease screening requirements. Visitors who have been in the United States or Spain during the last 22 days are now required to report their medical condition—regardless of whether they are experiencing symptoms of Ebola—by telephone by dialing 114 between 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. for the duration of their visit to Rwanda (if less than 21 days), or for the first 21 days of their visit to Rwanda. Rwandan authorities continue to deny entry to visitors who traveled to Guinea, Liberia, Senegal, or Sierra Leone within the past 22 days.

http://rwanda.usembassy.gov/mobile/sm-102114.html
          The legitimate object of Government is to do for a community of people whatever they need to have done but cannot do at all or cannot do so well for themselves”- Lincoln

Comment

http://nypost.com/2014/10/29/cdc-adm...-spread-ebola/

This disease just keeps getting scarier.

Comment

The latest CDC leaflet -- How Ebola is Spread (revised droplet spread info)

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/inf...r-droplets.pdf

Comment

Well they might as well call it airborne too.:roll eyes:
                In all my 30 years of taking care of infectious patients we've never had to dress
                like this even if they were on droplet, contact and airborne combined.

Here's what our lovely state sent us health care workers by email this week.

http://www.flhealthsource.gov/info/e...fessionals.pdf

Comment

I am sure that this is hurting the travel industry and is it really warranted? I just read this blog and agree with the writer. Governments and media are overreacting and do they even have a clue as their story changes every day? Is it contagious or not by sneezing on the next person?

Why don't they get the correct facts first from the medical field or scientists and let them decide what is best to do instead of politicizing everything so much?

Comment

Well, we have a possible case in NC - someone travelling from Liberia, citizenship not being told to the media apparently:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ient/18399447/

Australia is cutting travel from those areas. Canada is cancelling visas. Countries all over the world are protecting their citizens but not the US.

The US prohibits most travel to Cuba. It seems to me that we should also prohibit unnecessary travel, at the very least between the US and the infected countries.

Comment

Here are the comments of a Nobel prize winning doctor:

“It may not be absolutely true that those without symptoms can’t transmit the disease, because we don’t have the numbers to back that up,” said Beutler, “It could be people develop significant viremia [where viruses enter the bloodstream and gain access to the rest of the body], and become able to transmit the disease before they have a fever, even. People may have said that without symptoms you can’t transmit Ebola. I’m not sure about that being 100 percent true. There’s a lot of variation with viruses.”

“Even if someone is asymptomatic you cannot rely on people to report themselves if they get a fever,” said Dr. Beutler, adding, “You can’t just depend on the goodwill of people to confine the disease like that – even healthcare workers. They behave very irresponsibly.”

(Dr. Beutler, an American medical doctor and researcher, won the Nobel Prize for Medicine and Physiology in 2011 for his work researching the cellular subsystem of the body’s overall immune system — the part of it that defends the body from infection by other organisms, like Ebola.)

From: Christie's controversial Ebola quarantine now embraced by Nobel Prize-winning doctor/NJ.com

Comment

I like Guangzhou's idea of distributing free mobile phones to people arriving from Ebola zones. They receive over 160 direct flights from Africa each month and require people from affected regions, or who have had contact with Ebola patients or people with high fevers from the regions, to enter the province through designated channels. "Each traveller arriving from Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone will get a health care package including a thermometer, local map and a free mobile phone with local SIM card. Passengers who get the phone should keep it turned on for the following 21 days. In this way, disease control personnel can track and contact them as quickly as possible."
                        http://allafrica.com/stories/201411032100.html

Comment

Addressing the original question - no, I don't think I'd be happy flying "Ebola Airlines". I can completely see why people would be concerned about that.

As far as the rest of the response (the US domestic response by the government, media and sections of the public) it's sensationalism and media scaremongering at it's very best. Just another case (no pun intended) of not letting facts get in the way of a news story.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinian View Post
                            Given the regimes in those two places, ebola is good cover for other objectives. In Russia, the hard fall of the value of the rouble is probably more of a motive to try to keep people home, so they are not changing roubles to other currencies. I have read that some state enterprises are requiring employees to vacation in Crimea or is Russia instead of abroad.

Actually, I am at the airport right now, getting ready to board a Turkish Airlines flight,heading to Dublin via Istanbul.
                            Carolinian, did you get to use the Turkish Airlines Lounge??? I sure hope so!!

Comment

Heading to Dubai

On Saturday we head to Dubai...

Comment

Originally posted by mav View Post
                                Carolinian, did you get to use the Turkish Airlines Lounge??? I sure hope so!!
                                No, our incoming flight was late, so we had to go to our departure gate. No time for lounges.

Comment

Working...
                                X