London Gatwick and Norweigian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Gatwick and Norweigian

Long story. My flight from JFK to LHR just got cancelled. One way flights are absurd right now but there is an interesting option. I can take Norweigian Air fromJFK to LGW non-stop for about $500 land around noon. on a 787 Dreamliner!

It looks like there is an express train from Gatwick to Victoria and then a Thames connect that will bring me very close to where I'm staying.

Should I just suck it up and spend the big bucks for LHR or is this a realistic option that I should grab? I need to decide by morning when I get called back.
    Lawren
    ------------------------
    There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
    - Rolf Kopfle

Originally posted by lawren2 View Post
    Long story. My flight from JFK to LHR just got cancelled. One way flights are absurd right now but there is an interesting option. I can take Norweigian Air fromJFK to LGW non-stop for about $500 land around noon. on a 787 Dreamliner!

It looks like there is an express train from Gatwick to Victoria and then a Thames connect that will bring me very close to where I'm staying.

Should I just suck it up and spend the big bucks for LHR or is this a realistic option that I should grab? I need to decide by morning when I get called back.
    Doesn't seem like a bad option. Do you have to pay the $500 or are you getting a refund from your other flight.
    I just traveled by train from London to York and then York to Edinbourgh and it was very nice. And cheap.

As long as this other option doesn't cut to much into your trip time, I say take the cheaper option. Just another life adventure.
    Pat
    *** My Website ***

Comment

Originally posted by GrayFal View Post
      Doesn't seem like a bad option. Do you have to pay the $500 or are you getting a refund from your other flight.
      I just traveled by train from London to York and then York to Edinbourgh and it was very nice. And cheap.

As long as this other option doesn't cut to much into your trip time, I say take the cheaper option. Just another life adventure.
      On December 15th, Kuwait Airways informed the United States Department of Transportation that they will be eliminating service between JFK and London Heathrow,” said a department

Given that the airline pulled the flight rather than serve Israeli passengers, I believe that I will be refunded the cost of the flight. The costs are equitable. More about that in the morning.

http://nypost.com/2015/12/17/jew-hat...ium=SocialFlow

You just can't make this stuff up. I'm appalled that I had actually given them money to start with. Who knew?

ETA: The Post is the post. I'm guessing that this is the "official" reason: The airline says they cannot allow Israelis on the planes because the Middle Eastern kingdom prohibits it citizens from doing business with citizens of the Jewish state.
      lawren2
      Malibu Beach Barbie & A Super Moderator
      Last edited by lawren2; 01-12-2016, 07:54 PM.
      Lawren
      ------------------------
      There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
      - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

Yikes, that's crazy.

Also sorry you got caught up in this.
        Pat
        *** My Website ***

Comment

You're right, you couldn't make this stuff up. So sorry things didn't go smoothly!
          Please let us know what option you chose.

Comment

There's also a bus running all the time between Gatwick to Heathrow--very quick and efficient, and cheap.
            "You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity." Adrian Rogers

Comment

Many years ago I flew to Gatwick with a 24 hour layover. A group of us (airline employees awaiting onward transportation to Nigeria) took the train to London to spend the day sightseeing. The train trip was nice - able to see the countryside as we passed through. Seems that it was about an hour. I would do that option and save the money.
              Tom

Comment

London to Gatwick is very easy--I've taken the train and the bus. For me, the bus was actually easier, plus it's sometimes a double-decker (not a red one) so you get the whole sight-seeing experience, if you feel alert enough to enjoy it. Definitely go for it.

Comment

That worked out pretty well thanks to all of your experiences and reassurance. If I can't find my way at high noon from Gatwick to London I should cease traveling altogether.

I did get word that I was getting a full refund on the cancelled Kuwait flight first thing this morning.

I was able to book on the Norwegian Air non-stop with the very humane departure of 11PM from JFK and arrival at 11AM at Gatwick. All told it worked out to only $50 more. The rates did go up while in process but I am not complaining. Norwegian is < half of the other one way non-stops for my dates and airport choices.

Norwegian is a low cost european airline that charges for an assigned seat, checked bag and food which you circumvent by paying for LowFare + ticket. I would be concerned about a Ryan Air scenario but the plane is listed as a 787-9 Dreamliner. I can't imagine those being stripped down.

I am fully appreciating the fact that I come home on United.
                  Lawren
                  ------------------------
                  - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

Are you familiar with London? Try to look at a map beforehand and maybe even bring it with you so you have some idea of where the bus is going. I know London pretty well and I still worried that I would miss my stop. I like having a map so I can understand where I'm going.

Comment

Working...
                    X