Another Factor Facing Timehsaring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mpumilia View Post
    I always looked at our timeshare as a second home- a place we share with other owners. A place to make memories each year. I love having a prime week (plus an off-season floater) in a unit that we chose.
    Now that we've owned and used points, this makes more sense to me than it did before buying in. I still want the option of going more places, however between hubby's work needs and the kids' schedules we've spent the most time at the two resorts closest to us these last few years, and it's nice going back to where we've vacationed before. I do prefer one resort over the other, in part because it has different units we can try out, and the layout means there's a variety of views and things, which a weeks ownership wouldn't offer. But I can see the appeal of going back to the same place at the same time much more clearly than I could, and I think we would have been very happy with a week's ownership at our preferred localish resort (five hour drive back then; shorter now, barring traffic disaster), had we committed to that when the kids were little.

We just didn't vacation prior to timesharing, so had no idea what we were missing!

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbitess View Post
      we've spent the most time at the two resorts closest to us these last few years,
      See Post #30.
      RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
        Where and when do you own?
        We own at Smugglers Notch and Innseason Pollard Brook.

Comment

Originally posted by rapmarks View Post
          We just traded into The Rushes in Door county, WI. We attended the welcome party, and were one of two exchangers that week. Some owners have ten weeks or more; it is their second home. I was surprised at the number who were original owners or children of original owners. This is a stand alone timeshare, and even the off season weeks have some resale value. I have been exchanging here every year for a few years, but won't buy in because we are closer to the end of our traveling days.
          This is a lot how it is at Smugglers Notch during our Prime Summer week- original owners with their kids and grandchildren. See many of the same faces at the pool every year. Off season when we are there on our floater week, we see mostly exchangers. Since the resort went to RCI Points and then to Wyndham, things have changed somewhat, but still see those familiar people and their families at the resort.

Comment

Originally posted by mpumilia View Post
            We own at Smugglers Notch and Innseason Pollard Brook.
            Of course I've heard of Smugglers Notch for 20 years now. It must be huge . . . there's 714 units available through RCI right now.

Snowbird Season at some SW FL resorts are similar, with long-time family owners and not much available in the marketplace. Even the lesser resorts.
            RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Of course I've heard of Smugglers Notch for 20 years now. It must be huge . . . there's 714 units available through RCI right now.

Snowbird Season at some SW FL resorts are similar, with long-time family owners and not much available in the marketplace. Even the lesser resorts.
              that is why I wonder why people give away Wyndham and Bluegreen (and others) that have some great beach front resorts. Why aren't they worth something, epecially if it is your deeded week.

Comment

There will be a time for many timeshare owners, when timesharing is no longer the thing to do. Financial and health reasons may just be the leading causes and make owning a timeshare a liability. When there are more motivated sellers than buyers, give aways are often the thing that gets done.

Comment

Yeah, what Tony said.

Regardless of how enraptured one might be with their timeshares, or just about anything for that matter, regardless of how hard it might be to see a time when they just don't want, or use, or need them any more, there will be an end for every owner one way or another.

When that time comes, an orderly exit would be nice.

Even the most devout, ie, Riding With Ray.

Comment

See Post #30.
                    We own points at Christmas Mountain Village in Wisconsin Dells, although I don't know what week offhand. We've been there the most, but we've been to Bluegreen's Michigan resort in Boyne City a number of times as well. Been a fan of the Driftless Area since the first time I was there, and have loved Lake Michigan and the little towns along the eastern coastline since I lived in one as a kid, so they're both in areas I enjoy and everyone except eldest son really appreciates them as well (eldest son thinks they're okay but is the only one of us who prefers vacationing in cities).

Comment

My own son has just purchased a summer resale unit at the same resort I first bought at years ago and which he has visited many times over the years. One of my former HOA board colleagues ended up buying four summer units because his kids each wanted the two they had, and he wanted to have one for each when the time came. Particularly with summer units, and some at other times of the year, weeks are not resold but handed down through families. We have many summer weeks that are still owned by members of the same families that originally bought from the developer, and most use them rather than rent or exchange them.

I think for resorts that are big on members owning to use, there is a lot more loyalty. Exchanging has gone to the dogs and that is another matter entirely. As to younger people not familiar with timeshare, this also may be a problem for current developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinian View Post
                        My own son has just purchased a summer resale unit at the same resort I first bought at years ago and which he has visited many times over the years. One of my former HOA board colleagues ended up buying four summer units because his kids each wanted the two they had, and he wanted to have one for each when the time came. Particularly with summer units, and some at other times of the year, weeks are not resold but handed down through families. We have many summer weeks that are still owned by members of the same families that originally bought from the developer, and most use them rather than rent or exchange them.

I think for resorts that are big on members owning to use, there is a lot more loyalty. Exchanging has gone to the dogs and that is another matter entirely. As to younger people not familiar with timeshare, this also may be a problem for current developers.
                        It's hard for you to say something different than me without saying something the same as me. It's nice where there's an orderly exit.

You've been around long enough to remember that annoying guy way back when warning people about the Timeshare Trap.

Comment

I cant speak to Blue Green, but If you find anyone giving away their Wyndham points let me know.. Since Wyndham has been taking them back for free, not many go to the timeshare liquidation companies; and therefore not as many go to ebay and we buyers have to bid more than we used to outbid our competitors. . At the very least we have to out bid Wyndham (ie pay more than nothing) to get what we want, especially the contracts of any size with a low maintenance fee rate... As a result you dont see many offered for free anymore

The exceptions are the ones with a high maintenance fee rate. I think what gets given away are from the owners that are able to rent their vacation accommodations for less than the maintenance fees.

Comment

Working...
                          X