Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else mourn their sale of their TS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have given away 2 and sold 1 and felt a sense of sadness each time. I still have to give away at least one but I have a weird attachment to them.
    Jacki

Comment

RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

I was extemely happy when I sold my first one 4 years ago. It was great as a timeshare but I was glad to be rid of it. I will be even happier when I sell my present one and be rid of timeshares.
        John

Comment

Had to downsize a few years ago because of our financial situation. I never regretted getting rid of the two weeks we had in Florida on the Atlantic. But our DVC Points are a much different story. I hated having to unload them and have regretted it ever since!

Comment

MOURN ?????? NO WAY ! I was so glad to dump my money pit !!!!!!
            I was able to get off my medicine because the huge stress of that thing was lifited off of me. G.R. !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JWC View Post
              I was extemely happy when I sold my first one 4 years ago. It was great as a timeshare but I was glad to be rid of it. I will be even happier when I sell my present one and be rid of timeshares.
              Wow!!

You got nads, dude, setting yourself up for ridicule from those still in Timeshare LaLaland.

At least we're getting some honesty in this thread, not a common occurence any more.

Sorry, folks, but if I was a newbie looking for timeshare advice, things here have become so rose-colored that I would not trust anything being posted by some.

Even in the hey day, OY, folks like Carolinian were adding balance, blance that does not seem to be appreciated here.

Get real. Continuing to post and post and post about what a great deal timeshares are is just out of touch with reality. Sure, it was a thing a lot of us did 15 years ago, practically living on internet timeshare forums, trying to unravel the proprietary mysteries, but . . .

Someone who has been there posting about the problems with timeshares, specifically the lack of an exit strategy by an industry only interested in getting more money from owners, may be annoying to those still basking in their glory, but it is reality.
              JLB
              Please excuse me, I'm a Dick. Not a moron just a Dick
              Last edited by JLB; 07-24-2013, 11:36 AM.
              RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                C'mon folks, get real. Continuing to post and post and post about what a great deal timeshares are is just out of touch with reality.
                My parents are non-owners who rent timeshares or stay in motels. They're still regularly impressed by the deals I find -- especially when they're paying! I know some non-owners find great deals, too, but I think deals are easier to find as an owner or former owner.

I also think it depends on who you are and what you need and whether timeshares are a good fit for you. As long as we're traveling with at least four chowhounds, having a full kitchen saves us enough every vacation we could be paying more than it would cost for two hotel rooms and still come out well ahead. But generally we're paying much less per night for the TS than we would (or do) for a hotel.

Comment

At least we're getting some honesty in this thread, not a common occureance any more.

Sorry, folks, but if i was a newbie looking for timeshare advice, things here have become so rose-colored that I would not trust anything being posted by some.

C'mon folks, get real. Continuing to post and post and post about what a great deal timeshares are is just out of touch with reality.
                  So are you calling the rest of us who may still be happy with our ownerships liars?

Just cause we still enjoy timeshares doesn't mean we are lying.

Wasn't there a time when you enjoyed your ownerships?
                  Apparently so or you wouldn't still be hanging around these parts anymore.

So it doesn't work for you or for JWC or Bing1950 anymore.
                  That's okay. You are at a different stage in your life where it's more of a hassle to deal with it.
                  That doesn't mean that everyone in the timeshare world is living in a fantasy world.
                  You just chose your ownerships wrong or refused to dump when you had the chance.
                  Now you are so jaded you can't even see thru the glass.

Comment

Originally posted by chriskre View Post
                    So are you calling the rest of us who may still be happy with our ownerships liars?

Just cause we still enjoy timeshares doesn't mean we are lying.

Wasn't there a time when you enjoyed your ownerships?
                    Apparently so or you wouldn't still be hanging around these parts anymore.

So it doesn't work for you or for JWC or Bing1950 anymore.
                    That's okay. You are at a different stage in your life where it's more of a hassle to deal with it.
                    That doesn't mean that everyone in the timeshare world is living in a fantasy world.
                    You just chose your ownerships wrong or refused to dump when you had the chance.
                    Now you are so jaded you can't even see thru the glass.
                    It is not that it doesn't work. I can still get any exchange I want from SFX. It is just that our preferences have changed and there are so many viable alternatives including renting a TS. We don't want to stay in a condo. We want the upscale resort with twice daily housekeeping, room service for meals and being pampered, etc. Now we definitely got that at the Grand Mayans but we have no interest in going to Mexico anymore. We don't ever cook any meals when on vacation so a kitchen is of no use as long as we have a refrigerator.

The price of a TS is not the issue. It is all the mandatory fees that you have forever.
                    JWC
                    Super Moderator
                    Last edited by JWC; 07-24-2013, 08:53 PM.
                    John

Comment

The word was balance, but if anyone is concerned about their honesty, well . . .
                      - - - - - -
                      Looks like we can add one more former timeshare proponent who has outed himself.

- - - - -
                      Force the industry to implement an exit strategy, and I'll go away. Exit.

In the mean time, I will try to provide some reality to the smoke being blown up folks' shorts.

Comment

Originally posted by JWC View Post
                        It is not that it doesn't work. I can still get any exchange I want from SFX. It is just that our preferences have changed and there are so many viable alternatives including renting a TS. We don't want to stay in a condo. We want the upscale resort with twice daily housekeeping, room service for meals and being pampered, etc. Now we definitely got that at the Grand Mayans but we have no interest in going to Mexico anymore. We don't ever cook any meals when on vacation so a kitchen is of no use as long as we have refrigerator.

The price of a TS is not the issue. It is all the mandatory fees that you have forever.
                        And I totally get that your preferences have changed.
                        So have mine.
                        I used to cruise all the time and stay in hotels with points for free or with Entertainment discounts.
                        In those days I was all into the partying scene on the cruises and staying in hotels in cities I wanted to explore.

I still cruise occasionally and stay in city hotels. I haven't abandoned them 100%, but now I want to travel
                        with others. Most of those others don't have the means to pay for expensive hotels so timeshares with their
                        bigger units and kitchens where we can save money on breakfasts and dinners works for us.

I'm sure when I'm older like the rest of you that I'll no longer want to travel with others and
                        probably go back to cruising and hotels.

And I'm glad you've been happy with SFX because I bought into their Diamond program.
                        Have yet to use it but am hoping that I can open up more cruising opportunities with that.
                        Have you booked any cruises with them yet?

Comment

The word was balance, but if anyone is concerned about their honesty, well . . .
                          - - - - - -
                          Looks like we can add one more former timeshare proponent who has outed himself.

- - - - -
                          Force the industry to implement an exit strategy, and I'll go away. Exit.

In the mean time, I will try to provide some reality to the smoke being blown up folks' shorts.

Well the word looked like honesty but no I am not concerned about my honesty.

And there is an exit strategy for most of us, why you haven't figured it out yet I dunno.
                          Try giving the darned things away. That's how you exit the scene.
                          Nobody is going to pay you for those mugwumps.
                          If you don't want to pay a PCC try giving away your unit with a free year of use.

I gave away a friends Liki Tiki in Orlando on ebay for her by giving the buyer a free use and zero closing costs.
                          Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do and cut your losses.
                          But you already know that and would rather continue to rant on about how you are stuck.
                          You must enjoy being stuck. It's like you're in a sandtrap.

Comment

I haven't sold any, but I bet the two I bought off of regret it. One gets uber points in RCI and the other is a summer fixed week in a great location
                            e

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Of course, I am guided by experience, the experience of having bragged and gloated and guided people into buying what I bought, damn the torpedos, full speed ahead, now knowing that they, too, likely are stuck with the same unwanted baggage.

Just this last week I got an email from someone many of us would recognize, from a site I have not been on for 5 or 6 years, asking me if I knew anyone who wanted to buy at an Escapes! resort, something we also own, unfortunately. If this sorta stuff was not going on, I would not say it is. We all know it is, people trying to get rid of the mistakes they made ten and 20 years ago.

So, if I can make amends, or suggest others think ahead, now, when discounted accomodation are so rampant on the Internet, I probably will.

People need to ask themselves, "Do I have to have this, do I have to obligate myself to forever fees, in order to get something that's readily available on the Internet, and probably for less $$$?"

The argument, but JLB, you've had so many great experiences with your TS, is just pure BS. I paid for them when we were having them, and it's stupidity to keep paying for them now. Stupidity on the part of an industry to forces that to be the case.

I even know that the lack of an exit strategy is being used by one company to sell new ones, by falsely telling prospects that they have their existing TS sold for them. Of course, too late, the victim finds out that wasn't the case . . . they still have the old one, too.

The truth is that there are very few situations that warrant buying a timeshare any more, or even taking one for free.

I believe the general public leans in my direction.

JLB
                              Please excuse me, I'm a Dick. Not a moron just a Dick
                              Last edited by JLB; 07-24-2013, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chriskre View Post
                                ...And I'm glad you've been happy with SFX because I bought into their Diamond program.
                                Have yet to use it but am hoping that I can open up more cruising opportunities with that.
                                Have you booked any cruises with them yet?
                                My wife and I have no interest in cruises so haven't booked any. I have been a Platinum member for 16 years. Never upgraded to Diamond because it has no value for us. The big value for us with SFX at this time is exchanging into NYC. Don't care much for the Manhattan Club but we really like the Hilton Vacation Club in the Hilton Hotel on 6th Avenue. We have stayed at 3 different timeshares in NYC plus 5 nights in a suite at the upscale Michelangelo Hotel on 51st St. and 7th Ave. We have also used them for Hawaii but there are other viable alternatives for there.

I agree with JLB 100% that the big problem with timeshares is the lack of an exit strategy. We have been lucky because in the 25 years we have never had a special assessment and our maintenance fees have been very stable. However that is the exception, not the rule.
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X