Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giving my timeshare away to someone from another country.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving my timeshare away to someone from another country.

Hello,

I posted an ad on Tug to give away my timeshare. I said that this year's maintenance would be paid in full. I also agreed to pay the closing costs. In one day, I got a response from someone saying they would like to take my week. It is week 14 at Wyndham Palm Aire. I am a little concerned because the person who responded is from Brazil. He gave me a yahoo email address and his location said Brazil. Should I be concerned about it possibly being a scam? And if it is legit,, does the fact that he is from another country complicate the closing procesess at all?

Thanks,
    Amy

I sold a week to someone from Hong Kong, but that was awhile back in more innocent times.

Do you have a way to confirm they are for real?

If you are just quit claim deeding it, you don't need their signature.

There is some element of concern for every transfer where you don't know or meet the people. Do your best . . . then it will be what it will be.
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

I dont see the possibility of a scam... I mean how can they hurt you. You dont expect any money from them so they cant take your money and then not close.

The worst that can happen is that you pay the closing costs and then they dont close, but as has already been said, in most places the buyer doesnt sign the deed anyhow. The transfer will happen

Comment

It is when the unknown buyer says, "I would like to give you more than you are asking . . . " that you have to walk away.

RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

If I was doing it, as I have a few times in the last year, I would "close" it myself. I would go to a free legal document site and get the quit claim deed form used in the state in question. I would get the Recorder's email address and send them an email explaining what I'm doing, asking for any further instructions and asking for payment information. Then I would mail the QCD to them with a brief cover letter and their money.

I would tell the "Buyer" that the total of our emails constitutes the Agreement, and spell everything out. Of course, I would save them and a copy of the recorded deed. I'd have the original sent to the "Buyer" and send a copy to the resort.

Should be $20-30 total cost.

YMMV

Comment

If you are not sending money it is probably not a scam. I would go with the quit claim deed or other transfer paperwork, depending on the resort/resort groups requirements/recommendations. The only pitfall I see that could happen is that should the new owner not pay the fees, the resort might come back to you saying that it was a sham sale by you to get out of your responsiblity- but I think your ad and commentary here would show otherwise. I have met Brazilian timeshare owners, so it is not that unusual.

Comment

Great group advise, sounds pretty safe & sane. One caveat (but may never happen), just be sure that NO fees or costs (in any way) are somehow later explained must be sent to the buyer or some escrow they choose... etc.

Comment

Thanks Everyone. All of your advice put me at ease.

Comment

Just found out my resort has a deed back program free of charge!!!!!

After finding out that Wyndham has a $299 transfer fee, I decided that paying this year's mainitenance, the closing company and the transfer fee was making it too expensive for me to give away. I called my resort and asked if they have a deedback program. It turns out that they do and it is at no charge!! They are going to send me a form. I fill it out , have it notorized and send it back and in 8 to 10 weeks, it will be out of my name!!

I asked if they have this for all Wyndham resorts. They said the program is for any Wyndham resorts that want to participate.

Comment

That's good news.

Sometimes unless something squeaks you don't know it needs oil.

Check back and let us know how it goes.

Comment

Speaking of Wyndham, we met a couple down here in Florida today who got talked into Summerwinds' Stormy Point Village scam in Branson, where they tell you they have sold your existing timeshare for you, to get you to buy at Stormy Point Village. They fell for it, and found out it is not true, that they still owned the Wyndham one. But, then, he said Wyndham took theirs back. He didn't say anything more.

There's a lengthy thread on Redweeks about Stormy Point Village, and one of the salesmen that was doing the lying, and quit when he found out, told me about it. Recent BBB complaints suggest they are still using the same scam.

I've put out a feeler about this.

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                        I've put out a feeler about this.
                        Nope, he doesn't know anything about that part of Wyndham.

Comment

Working...
                        X