Let's try this again. Out west trip !! Sat: 9/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's try this again. Out west trip !! Sat: 9/20

I'll try to not forget to hit submit this time. lol Time to reminisce.

Flew out of Raleigh to Bozeman. Uneventful flight with wheelchair assist all the way. I was met at the airport by a local medical supply place in Bozeman with a wheelchair and she couldn't have been nicer!! I rented it for two weeks for $50. Stoppedf at McKenzie River Grill in Belgrade where we had monster size sandwich and Kelli had pizza. Both were delicious and would highly recommend eating there. It's right near the airport so very convenient. Drove on to Island Park in Idaho where I got a gorgeous log cabin with stairs !! I was supposed to be on the bottom but it was completely full so called RCI and after all the hassle I ended up with a free week. They sent a nice young man to carry up the luggage. I had just been diagnosed with afib and had a bitch of a time doing stairs and getting around but I turtled on up. He gave me lots of suggestions for Sunday so I was all set. After resting we went to Connie's where we split the prime rib. Very good. Recommend.

Sun: Headed out to Mesa Falls. Absolutely gorgeous and highly recommend. Kelli wheeled me as far as she could to the stairs and told me to stay put and she'd take pics and show them to me. Well, ----- I couldn't see it good so I said I can walk these stairs. I'd walk a little bit, sit a little bit , do another set , repeat, etc and made it down there. BEAUTIFUL !! sTUPID me got down but couldn't get up , so two strong men helped me up after a lecture from Kelli. I truly didn't know it would be that hard !! I learned quickly No more walking. Stopped at Boondocks to eat a late lunch / supper where I had the best steak I've ever had in my life!! Huge, and was accompanied by a salad and twice baked potato. It was a gastronomic delight.

After that headed up to Sawtell Mtns to watch the sunset. I knew it was twisty but geez there were NO guardrails and as you go around the curves you couldn't see the road !! Kelli thought we were going to die right there. Me , I thought it was fun. The view was incredible, even tho it was a white knuckle drive. Sissies need not apply !!

YELLOWSTONE NAT'L PARK: What an amazing place !! The first thing we saw upon entering were a heard of buffalo with geysers in the background. Loved it. Stopped and watched for a while then on to Old Faithful where we sat and waited for it to erupt. That was Kelli's favorite in Yellowstone. She wheeled me to the Lodge where we looked around and got souveniers. On the way out we stopped at a pizza place in W Yellowstone. It had won an award but I thought it was overcooked but still very good. each day we would go to a different area of the park . We saw a huge bear on the side of the road, lots of elk, bison, antelope, coyote, elk, moose, everything except a rams horn goat and wolf. I loved the Mammoth Hot Springs area. Elk were on the lawn and the rock formations were awesome. We went to geysers area and the prismatic spring. There was a boardwalk so poor Kelli wheeled me all over it. I also loved the Canyon area where all the waterfalls were/ It bothered me that I couldn't hike anymore but made up for it with photography. Did a side road and was awared with a buffalo jam. Woo Hoo. Most nights we would go eat in W Yellowstone Village . One night we were waiting for a BBQ joint to open and would you believe I saw Lauri Fuchs ( a tugger ) walking up the street. Even thou we both live in NC I'd never met her untill we were in Vegas. Small world, even weirder, we ran into her in the bathroom at Yellowstone . The whole gang was there including Lynn and their friends. Who'd a thunk it???

Comment

Red Lodge/ Bear Tooth Hwy & Cody, Wy

I had a day inbetween t'shares so headed up to Cody for two nights and 1 night in Red Lodge to do the Beartooth. Went to Cody via the Fishing Bridge area of Yellowstone. I think that made it so I saw every area of the park. I thought the plains and Fishing Bridge area were beitofi; a but was not prepared for the beauty that waited me on the way to Cody. I felt like I was in a western movie. It was gorgeous , esp around Wapati where I saw the statue of the Shoney Big Boy in the middle of nowhere. Kelli thought that was cool. The rock formations were great and spent my time going thru there . I ran into cars stopped in the middle of the road and on the hillside was a mama bear and her two cubs. So unexpected and very neat. The first night I stayed at the Rodeway Inn. before going to th Emma, e Buffalo Bill Cody hotel. The Rodeway was just what we needed . Cheap and clean . That night we went to the Cattleman Club to their buffett qad show. The food was great as was the show. Highly recommend. The show was good but not as good as the Bill Miller Show we saw the next night. It was very smooth and consisted of Bill & his beautiful daughter and another girl. She should make it very high in the Nashville Country Music Scene. I predict a real big star. His voice and hers when blended brought tears to my eyes. I told him how much his singing made me forget just how sick I had been this year. His show was made up of cowboy songs where the other show did everything from cowboy to hip hop and southern rock and roll. Moved over to the Emma , loved the room but the buffett was the worst I've ever had. The oyster rockefeller was very smelly , the beef ribs were so tuff I couldn't eat them and the prime rib was thin and full of fat. I tried to get a price adjustment but she said I ate it, didn't I. NO, I tried to eat it. She was very rude and the next day upon checkout I talked to the owner and he gave me a $25 adj. That's all I wanted , I wasn't trying to get a free meal. I do not recommend the buffet!! Sat there was a very small craft show in the street so went and then headed to the Buffalo Bill Wild West Museum. I absolutely loved it and recommend it highly. Kelli was not enthralled and as she said museums are not her thing. lol

Next morning checked out and headed to Red Lodge via the Chief Joseph Scenic HWy which connectec to the Bear Tooth. Oh my, that was gorgeous . Charles Kuralt called it the most scenic hwy in America and I would say it was up there. I also love the Going to the Sun Rd and Hwy 1 near Pebble Beach.

Comment

I liked Red Lodge. Stayed at LaConta Lodge , which is also a ts. . I had originally planned on spend8ing 2 or 3 nights but didn't want to lose any more time in Jackson Hole. The host/mgr was so friendly and had lots of suggestions. She gave me a great deal even tho I had to change the reservations due to the snow which closed the road. If you've never done the Bear Tooth it should be on your bucket list. Ate cheeseburgers at the Red Caboose which was right on the river. Very good , and a cute little place. She said be on the look out for the resident bear but no luck. The next day drove to Jackson Hole by way of a little tiny town named Cooke City . where we ate at a log cabin looking restaurant. I had trout and it was delicious and then on to JH via Yellowstone (again) This entrance meant I was in and out of every gateway. I can now say I explored all parts of Yellowstone. I was passed exhausted but I sure had fun.

Comment

Jackson Hole & the Grand Tetons

It was time to relax and take it easy. Stayed at Town Center and was lucky enough to be on the bottom ( as promised) Front desk was glad to see me as they were worried as I was 2 days late checking in and she was full of ideas. We enjoyed the town square where we took our pic under the antler arch. Kelli had wanted real cowboy boots but I knew JH was going to be really expensive. Lo and behold there was a place going out of business and got beautiful boots and a couple of cowboy shirts. I got nothing lol. I loved the Tetons !! Went out looking for animals and finely found my Bull Moose the last day. Drove all over the park and stopped at a lot of the turnouts and went to the Chapel of the Transformation ( the one with the open window that faces the Tetons. One day I found a winding road and took it to a beautiful overlook. I'm always looking for things that are not on the beaten path. One day I took the gondola up to the summit . They neglected to tell me there were steps which I couldn't do and ran out of oxygen It was expensive, $30 per person. . They were going to bring me oxygen but after sitting there for awhile I was ok. At this point I didn't know how I was going to react to steps and high altitude. I had my cardioversion the week before I left and it didn't work so did have a hard time. Kelli was so good to help me get around. One day we went on a very relaxing float trip down the snake river In normal Shaggy terms, that equals boring . The only animal I saw was a bald eagle.

The highlight of our trip was the cowboy dinner & show at the Bar J ranch. Expensive , but well worth every penny. We had steak, and all the fixins and then the show. They were incredible. I ended up spending $75 on Cd's ( 3pk Xmas and one regular. ) I would go back there in a heartbeat and if you find yourself in that area you need to go there!!

Left early to go back to Bozeman so I would be near the airport. The medical supply company told me to leave the wheelchair at the hotel and they would pick it up there. They were wonderful.

This concludes my trip and wish I could go back and do it again. Thanks for letting me rehash my memories and hope you enjoyed it. Ask questions if you need to know more . This may be my last trip for awhile, which makes me sad as I have a week booked at Rams Horn in Estes Park in Sept. Hopefully I can make it. shaggy

Comment

I have wanted to go to Jackson hole for a long time, On my bucket list along with BC Canada, Nashville, Texas and Colorado
            Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
              I have wanted to go to Jackson hole for a long time, On my bucket list along with BC Canada, Nashville, Texas and Colorado
              I know BC inside and out, having lived there and traveled all over the province. I am also very familiar with Nashville, Texas, and Colorado.

Let me know if you want any info.
              John

Comment

Originally posted by JWC View Post
                I know BC inside and out, having lived there and traveled all over the province. I am also very familiar with Nashville, Texas, and Colorado.

Let me know if you want any info.

Thank you John, The last trip we took was in Oct 2013 Not sure when we will travel again but I do not think we are going any where any time soon
                Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Originally posted by JWC View Post
                  If you get to Colorado try to tour the Air Force academy in Colorado Springs. Telluride is a nice town to stop in as well.
                  JWC
                  Super Moderator
                  Last edited by JWC; 01-20-2016, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your post, Shaggy! I was wondering when you were going to get around to it. Yellowstone is an awesome place- my favorite national park. Wish I had more time and money to go back.

Comment

It really sounds as if you had a wonderful trip.
                      Thanks for sharing with us.
                      Pat
                      *** My Website ***

Comment

Me too, but I am looking forward to Rams Horn Village in Estes Park, CO this Sept

Comment

Colorado is on my bucket list. Please report back on that one, too!

Comment

Will do. I can't wait to go. Right now I'm wishing I was in Sanibel looking for seashells.

Comment

Nice trip report !!! Nice trip !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X