Legally ending a timeshare contract with Diamond Resorts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legally ending a timeshare contract with Diamond Resorts

My husband and I own 3500 points with Diamond Resorts. It was paid in full more than 5 years ago, but because of financial hardship, we are no longer able to pay the maintenance fees. We tried selling the timeshare last year but never had any offers on it. Is there a way to legally end our timeshare contract? At this point, we are not looking to make anything off of our timeshare and are willing to give the points to someone who is already a Diamond member. We simply can't make the payment and have no idea what our legal rights are as owners. Any suggestions?

Try posting it for free on our "freebies" forum.

Comment

Originally posted by queensandra68 View Post
      My husband and I own 3500 points with Diamond Resorts. It was paid in full more than 5 years ago, but because of financial hardship, we are no longer able to pay the maintenance fees. We tried selling the timeshare last year but never had any offers on it. Is there a way to legally end our timeshare contract? At this point, we are not looking to make anything off of our timeshare and are willing to give the points to someone who is already a Diamond member. We simply can't make the payment and have no idea what our legal rights are as owners. Any suggestions?
      They took one back from me; call them and talk to them about it. Search this forum; there was a very long thread about this subject.
      "You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity." Adrian Rogers

Comment

Your best bet is that they will accept a deed back as 3500 points are virtually worthless in the DRI system and their policies make it of little value to "add" to even an existing account.

As a standalone they have no value, as an add on they have almost a negative value - best to turn them in if they let you as it's an impossible sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstreet1 View Post
          Search this forum; there was a very long thread about this subject.
          Any idea what I would search under? I tried searching but never found anything useful.

Comment

Try this:
            http://www.timeshareforums.com/forum...y-back-ts.html

Comment

Thanks. I've been doing a lot of reading in the past hour. Sounds like if they won't do a deed back, foreclosure is the only option. Not something I am excited about doing, but in our financial situation, I'm not sure we have another choice. It seems ridiculous that we could pay our mortgage in full and make maintenance payments on time for several years and then have to destroy our credit because of financial hardship. If anyone has other suggestions, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by queensandra68
                Thanks. I've been doing a lot of reading in the past hour. Sounds like if they won't do a deed back, foreclosure is the only option. Not something I am excited about doing, but in our financial situation, I'm not sure we have another choice. It seems ridiculous that we could pay our mortgage in full and make maintenance payments on time for several years and then have to destroy our credit because of financial hardship. If anyone has other suggestions, let me know.
                Call their Loss Mitigation department, they are the people to actually discuss deedbacks with. The agents on the phone will get information from them and then direct you there anyway.
                I am happy to try and provide help and advice on II and can offer personal assistance by PM if needed.

Comment

It looks like the website upgrade affected the older links such as the one posted by Tony above. It (the actual link) no longer works and I have clicked on several other links to prior posts and get the same result....page does not exist.
                  The pages and posts are on the website and you can search them out but links are broken.

Comment

DRI's policies change from time to time on deedbacks. Because of the massive special assessment at Point at Poipu and many people wanting out, there, they have tightened up considerably in that last year or so.

European Collection owners at DRI are even more restricted as to what they can do to dispose of DRI points than are US members, That is one of the reasons that the TV series ''Ripoff Britain'' did a segment on DRI.

There is an internet site called DRIPS of disgruntled DRI members. That might be a source of some into for you.

Comment

I know this is an old thread revived, but how long does this question have to be asked, by how many thousands of owners who want out, before the industry figures out this is their #1 problem, and if they don't do something about it, it will be timesharing's undoing?

C'mon! Is it healthy to have people continue to own something and pay fees when they don't want to, just because of threats of retaliation?

What's worse, the lying to get people to buy something that seldom works the way it was represented, or the threats to keep them owning?
                      RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

There was an organized group that put DRI's forerunner, Sunterra's feet to the fire. This group of Scots had been sold nearly worthless small points packages by Sunterra and wanted out. Not only would Sunterra not take their weeks back, but in Europe, they did not even allow transfers unless they were to people who already owned at Sunterra. Expanding on the idea of a previous disgruntled Sunterra owner who put up the Sunterror.co.uk website, they organized the Scottish Action Group Against Sunterra and put up a website at Sunterrified.co.uk. Then they bought an old ambulance, had it repainted as the Scambulance with slogans against Sunterra, and then drove it to use as the centerpiece while they picketed Sunterra sales centers. When DRI bought out the remnants of Sunterra, their new CEO paid off the Scots and took their weeks back.

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                        I know this is an old thread revived, but how long does this question have to be asked, by how many thousands of owners who want out, before the industry figures out this is their #1 problem, and if they don't do something about it, it will be timesharing's undoing?

C'mon! Is it healthy to have people continue to own something and pay fees when they don't want to, just because of threats of retaliation?

What's worse, the lying to get people to buy something that seldom works the way it was represented, or the threats to keep them owning?

Comment

SAGASs, huh?!

RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                            What's worse.... throw in the changes that they make after the sale that really disrupt the ownership value. Including new programs that put existing owners at a disadvantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonb334 View Post
                              What's worse.... throw in the changes that they make after the sale that really disrupt the ownership value. Including new programs that put existing owners at a disadvantage.
                              Points programs are all about moving the goal posts and making you pay for your timeshare all over again - buying air.

Comment

Working...
                              X