DRI math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRI math

We just returned from a stay at Greensprings Vacation resort. While there we attended an update. the people treated us very well. When we got the sales pitch the offer was for $8000 we would get 4000 points each year and DRI would take our prime time ocean front timeshare in Virginia Beach off our hands.
    We were told this was a great deal. I did a few quick calculations in my head and asked how that deal was great? By my rough calculations it would take me about 70 years or so to spend $8000 depositing the unit. I would also get 2500 points more a year for that time.
    Needles to say I was told I did not understand the deal. I was gifted and allowed to leave. Can anyone tell me how that was a great deal for anyone other than DRI?

I just picked up 3500 points for $0. I also bought 1500 points from DRI, converted an existing resale into the club, and have club select privileges for 2 other timeshares. 1500 or 2500 points would be the most I would buy to convert a resale.

Comment

Though I haven't invested my money in such deals but one of my friends told me about this and faced the same case that you have already come up with. So I don't think it would be that great deal as was being told to you.

Comment

Well if you are going to buy points today the lowest I've read recently is about $3.60 per point, after starting at $6.
        I was offered (in May?) about $2 then had to sign off when I didn't accept, based on prior offers.
        Buying 4000 points at $8000 is $2/pp so would have been a good deal, compared to $3.60.
        But if you aren't going to use points in a prudent manner its an expensive venture that you keep paying on year after year after year, even after "paying it off".

Comment

Buying points is buying air. You were much better off keeping your real timeshare at the beach.

Comment

I did keep it. The offer was ridiculous. I get more points for less cost by depositing the unit in the club select.
            Originally posted by Carolinian View Post
            Buying points is buying air. You were much better off keeping your real timeshare at the beach.

Comment

If you have a deed never give that up!

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinian View Post
                I bought a deeded week in 1998. When I converted the deeded week to points in 2005 I started getting 2-3 weeks of time out of that same deeded week. Yes it is still deeded. I love the 50% and 75% off deals and ability to reserve less than 7 days.

Comment

Here's an interesting one...
                  My Deeded Studio Unit (Mini-Suite) at San Luis Bay Inn has never been banked or rolled into DRI Points but its listed on my Accounts. 2500 Points is how the assess it.
                  If I bank that Studio into Interval International I typically get an upgrade to a full 1 bedroom and often 2 bedroom unit plus can get a Bonus Week from II.
                  This is all separate from Diamond.
                  I agree with a previous posted that if you play The Club system right you can take a traditional 1 week vacation and easily get 15 nights (or more) out of it by booking late and bypassing Fri-Sat nights. That's 3 separate 5-night bookings. Now if we can just get Diamond to buy into a Resort in Anaheim! (and not another in Sedona or Vegas or Orlando)

Comment

Working...
                  X