No announcement yet.

The death of the 14 day window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got a LM exchange to a resort in the Florida Keys. I searched both weeks and points. A two bedroom unit was 80,000 points and a similar unit for the same week was 13 TPUs. Location was not a factor. At first I thought that the points would be discounted because it was less than 14 days before check in but they were not. Secured the exchange on the weeks side. I have seen these type of discrepancies before and they just don't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by pranas View Post
      I just got a LM exchange to a resort in the Florida Keys. I searched both weeks and points. A two bedroom unit was 80,000 points and a similar unit for the same week was 13 TPUs. Location was not a factor. At first I thought that the points would be discounted because it was less than 14 days before check in but they were not. Secured the exchange on the weeks side. I have seen these type of discrepancies before and they just don't make sense.
      I'm guessing the 80K points was at a points resort so it was points inventory. As such, points inventory is never discounted, even though it is last minute. That's one of the bad things of last minute points, it doesn't drop.

Comment

Originally posted by djyamyam View Post
        I'm guessing the 80K points was at a points resort so it was points inventory. As such, points inventory is never discounted, even though it is last minute. That's one of the bad things of last minute points, it doesn't drop.
        That's the way it used to be but now if they want to discount last minute points resorts they do, if they don't they don't. A couple days ago I saw Coconut Malorie in ocean City, MD for August 31. It is an RCI points resort. They had the studio for 6500 with the red flag for discounted and the one bedroom for 35,000 not discounted. Apparently now the only time it won't drop is if someone has already taken a day or more, or if RCI thinks they have a good shot at getting full price.

pranas
        As to this one it seems as though 10 (and sometimes 11) tpu's or lower and 14 days are the magic numbers to drop resorts to the 6500/7500 points.

Comment

Working...
        X