More Devluation of Our TSs From Renting Condos Instead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tonyg View Post
    It would appear that there may be another distinction such as overbuilt and undesirable. Williamsburg is overbuilt but not undesirable, Branson for many may be both. I've been to Williamsburg about a dozen times and would still go back, while I have no desire to ever go to Branson.
    Ditto almost. We have ben to Williamsburg numerous times & plan to return. We went to Branson once for a week along with a family reunion and have zero desire to ever visit that area again. Holds zero appeal to us. YMMV. A (very) poor mans Las Vegas without the glitz & gambling.

Comment

ah, well, see, this just shows my lack of real familiarity with Branson. I thought it was deadish @ Christmas so crackpot-theoried into tourist drop with the cold ; )

Comment

I've not been to Williamsburg, and not being much on history, once would probably be enough for me there.

Comment

Well, Williamsburg has more than history. Busch Gardens and a waterpark for two. Side trips to Virginia beach and Washington are other possibilities.

Comment

well, I've been in too many car crashes to do amusement parks; water park, maybe, but I can do that at home, no reason to travel for it. Sidetrips, yes, that's always part of my plan if the scenery isn't the draw (ocean, mountains...)

I think I would have to be careful who I asked to join me; )

Comment

Today was a round at Payne Stewart Golf Club and then a couple hours jetskiing.

Probably have a Bud Light and a burger or steak and call it a day.

Didn't go to a show, theme park, water park, go cart track, history attraction, bad buffet, etc.

But had a nice day, pretty much like all of them.

Living the dream!

RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

I beg to differ. When we were there, the shows were crowded but nobody at the lake. We went boating on the lake and literally had it all to ourselves. As far as golf goes, being at the top of golf courses for Missouri doesn't mean very much compared to the rest of the country.

When people have asked about Branson, it has always been about the shows.

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                We started going to Branson, LOZ, and other MO/AR lake destinations in the early 90's. The attraction is lakes and golf.

I don't know many people who go to shows. There are some new and fresh ones, and other attractions, which are nice, and it's nice to have them there, as opposed to an area that does not have them, for every now and then.

Branson has 3 of 5 of Golfweek's Best Courses You Can Play in Missouri. 2012 has been Branson's best golf year ever.
                John

Comment

I had about a 3-5 mile view of the lake while I was out today and saw two other boats.

When schools open here, which they have, Branson and the lakes die. Branson picks up again in October.

I have golfed from Florida to Hawaii, and I golf two of the most beautifaul, well-cared-for courses anywhere, right here. We have a lot of elevation change on the courses and a lot of mother nature, with lakes and flowing Ozark creeks. Lotsa wildlife on the courses, too. Eagles, turkey, deer, bobcats and less critters.

On nights when I can't get to sleep, so I play courses in my mind, I don't play Poipu Bay. I play one of those two here.

FWIW, as long as I've been on the Branson forum, the shows . . . what they should be . . . has been debated. There is a strong nucleus who believe Branson should maintain it's status as the last bastion of old, white, Christian, patriotic values.

& timeshares are absolutely deplored on the Branson forum, mostly in favor of the plethora of inexpensive local lodging choices. Branson also offers high-end accomodations.

Big Cedar is viewed as hoyty toyty, a feeling bositered by anti-Branson comments made by BC owners and guests on timeshare forums.

What were we talking about again? Oh yeah, Renting Condos Instead dumping stuff for $249/week.

JLB
                  Please excuse me, I'm a Dick. Not a moron just a Dick
                  Last edited by JLB; 08-29-2012, 06:47 PM.
                  RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Seems them Kalifornia visitors think they know more 'bout Branson than the locals.

Comment

JLB, I want to know if Todd Oliver and his dog have a show in Branson.

Comment

Originally posted by rapmarks View Post
                        JLB, I want to know if Todd Oliver and his dog have a show in Branson.
                        Yes, and has had for years.

This year is the first year he is not the featured attraction and The Branson Belle, where we saw him. I didn't know anything about him, or what to expect, and he was hilarius. We were there with our other BFFs, and he and I were rolling on the floor, laughing so hard.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyg View Post
                          Seems them Kalifornia visitors think they know more 'bout Branson than the locals.
                          Life has it's ironies.

I am not much of a favorite on the Branson forum because I timeshare, and am not much into Bransoney things, and I am not much of a favorite with some here because I am too anti-timeshare and am from Branson.

The man without a forum.

Comment

So was talking to the families in the pool that own 4 units this week and have been coming since 1980.
                            they never exchange and have never heard of Branson.
                            So RCI will never get a shot at their weeks for the rental pool.

Unfortunately it also means I probably wont get back in here for a few years either.

BTW I enjoyed Branson and I am a city slicker. Branson does have a certain down home good American feel to it.
                            And when I went was able to exchange in instead of renting. A great exchange value in off season. Kinda like Orlando.

Comment

I had not heard of Branson, either, before Timesharing. I did know about Table Rock Lake and the Ozarks from kidhood travel with parents. Maybe we stayed in Branson, I don't know. It would have been a campground with access to TRL. I only remember the one time passing thru on the way west.

I like the area for the lake and "mountains". I do think most people here go to gatlinburg if they're wanting shows, or mountains. Great Lakes are much closer than TRL.

Comment

This is one of those discussions that gets stuck in my subconscience, and I have to resolve myself to ongoing, involuntary thinking about it. You know, like planting a thought in your mind about something that needs to be resolved, or something that needs to be remembered, but you can't, until you stop trying, and then you can?

So, driving to work at dark-thirty this morning, in the Eye of Isaac, which, BTW, is a wonderful relief to our extended drought, I thought about all the people I know here who came from California. Most of them are hoyty-toyty upper-crusties from SOCAL and other superior places, who were developer types, or Hollywood hob-knobber types, and had big boats and horses at Del Mar or some highly placed position in Orange County they are not allowed to talk about.

Just in the little cluster of 12 houses here on the point, three are/were from California. At the Country Club where I golf occasionally, as opposed to the other very nice course where I golf frequently, there are several from California.

In fact, if I eliminate those from the obvious places . . . Kansas City, St. Louis, Minneapolis, etc. . . . I know more people here who are from California than anywhere else.

Local property marketing concerns here have historically targeted Californians.

It is not the shows and attractions that made them move here, although that's a part of the local offering. They all fell in love with the beauty of the Ozark mountains, lakes and rivers, or they fell in love with the golf course. Many say that the first time they saw the lake or played the golf course, they knew they had to move here.

Or, of course, the really big money they made there goes so much farther here.

Maybe it's the type of place you would like to live, but wouldn't wanna visit.

For me, summer or winter, I'm either at the golf course or on the water/at the beach.

Living the Dream!

Comment

Working...
                                X