Cancelling RCI Exchange and cause to TPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancelling RCI Exchange and cause to TPUs

Hello All - I'm still fairly new to the RCI world and was playing around tonight with it ... here is what I was thinking.

First, I'm not much of a planner beyond the next 12 months. But, while searching tonight I saw some summer 2014 units that I would take. Because it is not in my nature to commit to anything that far in advance - I won't grab them.

But...I started thinking - what if I grab them and reexchange if I see something better that I want later on.

From what I read in the sticky: It seems this is logical with no TPU points lost as long as I cancel that 2014 within 276 days. Not sure what happens with the exchange fee, assume it just gets transfered the new ressie. Also, let's say I purchase Vacation Protection, what would that get me?

Points Retention for Cancellation without Vacation Protection
    Adjustment Schedule
    Number of Days Trading Power Retained
    < 14 days 45%
    15 - 30 days 60%
    31 - 90 days 80%
    91 - 180 days 90%
    181 - 275 days 95%
    276+ days 100%

The exchange fee is forfeited. You will have to pay another exchange fee for the new reservation. "Vacation Protection" was eliminated a few months ago. All they offer now is "Trading Power Protection"
    Juanita

Comment

In the old days, and something I did a few times, I would cancel an exchange and rebook another exchange with the same phone call, and was always allowed to use the original deposit.

I did it twice, once for each of two consecutive weeks, within 14 days of the start dates, when we went to Kauai.

I did it twice for one week, switching from Grand Cayman to Ft. Myers Beach when our plane reservations fell through, and then to a better resort at Ft. Myers beach.

I searched with another deposit each time, and often would continue searching up until the last day, just in case a better resort would show up, say through a late deposit or cancellation.

They were always willing to get an extra exchange fee, and a deposit back to possibly get another exchange fee.

Since last minute exchanges are almost always extremely cheap in the faux points ssystem, I have no reason to believe this still is not the case.

For 15 years I have advised the same thing . . . if you have to cancel an exchange, it is best if you have another exchange to make with the same deposit when you call.

But, be careful, Guides like to pull the trigger quickly, thinking they know so much more than the average dumb subscriber. Even after telling one not to do anything until I said to, one cancelled an exchange and then was not able to get it back, even though I could see it online. She insisted she could not get it back, but a Supervisor did, saying, in other words, that the Guide had lied to me.
      JLB
      Please excuse me, I'm a Dick. Not a moron just a Dick
      Last edited by JLB; 01-22-2013, 08:14 AM.
      RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Juanita is correct. You will lose the $199 exchange fee. The only insurance RCI offers now is the $49 Trading Power Protection, which gives you back your TPUs following the schedule you posted, mdurette.

I bought the more expensive Vacation Protection on almost every exchange. Now that RCI doesn't offer it, I've really lost enthusiasm for making trades way out. That $199 exchange fee is a big chunk of change to lose if you change your mind or have a scheduling conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by wackymother View Post
          Juanita is correct. You will lose the $199 exchange fee. The only insurance RCI offers now is the $49 Trading Power Protection, which gives you back your TPUs following the schedule you posted, mdurette.

I bought the more expensive Vacation Protection on almost every exchange. Now that RCI doesn't offer it, I've really lost enthusiasm for making trades way out. That $199 exchange fee is a big chunk of change to lose if you change your mind or have a scheduling conflict.
          I absolutely agree.

Comment

Ok - so for $49 I get the list I posted? So, even with the $49 once I hit less than 276 days there will be a penalty. Then is there a different schedule for when you don't pay the $49?

Comment

Oh, sorry. If you pay the $49 and get Trading Power Protection, you get all your TPUs back if you cancel more than 14 days before the check-in date. (I just called to see exactly what the deal is, and the guide thought it was 14 days, but he wasn't absolutely sure.)

Comment

Working...
              X