Wine Country 2014 or 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Country 2014 or 2015

Need recommendations on resorts to stay at to visit the Wine Country in California. On our bucket list and need a two bedroom.

Thanks

There are only three:

RiverPointe (Modular Homes) Napa Trades with II
    Shell Points Vino Bello Napa also trades with II
    Worldmark Windsor - Rarely Deposited

Comment

There are a few two bedroom Worldmark Windsors in RCI now for January and February 2014.

Comment

Riverpointe is a great location but you have to be ok with staying in a tarted up mobile home.

We really enjoyed it there and gave it the name Candyland.

Comment

Originally posted by riverdees05 View Post
          Need recommendations on resorts to stay at to visit the Wine Country in California. On our bucket list and need a two bedroom.

Thanks
          I assume that by "Wine Country" you mean Napa/Sonoma. If that is correct my question to you is why you feel compelled to stay in an area that is that pretentious and overpriced. California, nay, the entire west Coast, has many areas that produce wines of equal or superior quality at more reasonable prices and where accommodations are more plentiful and cheaper.

If it's important to you to say that you stayed in Napa/Sonoma, then there isn't any substitute for that. But if your real objective is to visit first class wineries and sample their wares, you really need to jettison the notion that you need to restrict yourself to "Wine Country".
          “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

An alternative "Wine Country" could be either Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo. There is the San Luis Bay inn in Avila Beach, Beach House Inn and Worldmark in Pismo Beach. All are very near to the Edna Valley, south of San Luis Obispo. There are no timeshares in the Paso Robles area that I know of, at least through Diamond and II. There are around 200 wineries in the greater Paso Robles area which would be a 30 mile drive from Avila/Pismo Beach. There are also wine tours for both areas, a great way to see the area and not have to drive after tasting the wines. The wine quality rivals Napa valley and the world. I happen to live in Los Osos near Morro Bay. I would not trade living here for very many places, however, I do love to travel and see different parts of the world. Paso Robles can be very hot in the summer 100+ F, but San Luis Obispo and the surrounding area is coastal and very temperate with cool nights. I would recommend the area as much less costly than the Napa/Sonoma area.
            Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyboy View Post
              An alternative "Wine Country" could be either Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo. There is the San Luis Bay inn in Avila Beach, Beach House Inn and Worldmark in Pismo Beach. All are very near to the Edna Valley, south of San Luis Obispo. There are no timeshares in the Paso Robles area that I know of, at least through Diamond and II. There are around 200 wineries in the greater Paso Robles area which would be a 30 mile drive from Avila/Pismo Beach. There are also wine tours for both areas, a great way to see the area and not have to drive after tasting the wines. The wine quality rivals Napa valley and the world. I happen to live in Los Osos near Morro Bay. I would not trade living here for very many places, however, I do love to travel and see different parts of the world. Paso Robles can be very hot in the summer 100+ F, but San Luis Obispo and the surrounding area is coastal and very temperate with cool nights. I would recommend the area as much less costly than the Napa/Sonoma area.
              Tom
              I was thinking of those, as well as Monterey. The entire area from Saliinas to Paso Robles to Hollister produces wines that equal Napa/Sonomoa. And the Sierra Nevada Foothills in Amador and Calaveras counties produces some red varietals (Sangios, tempranillos, grenaches) that totally outclass any of those varietals from Napa/Sonoma.

In reality unless for 99% of the population you can pick almost any timeshare resort in California (except for the Tahoe area) and be within an easy drive of good wine tasting opportunities. If someone is part of that other 1% of the population who are that tuned in to wines, that person really shouldn't be asking those types of questions on a forum such as this.

Comment

Thanks for the input, will discuss with the wife and look at wider opportunities for our trips.

Comment

WorldMark Windsor Sonoma would be the easiest trade and perhaps the only one in RCI. Currently they have bulk deposited up to February 2014. I'd put in a search if you must have summer.
                  Lawren
                  ------------------------
                  There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
                  - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

Originally posted by lawren2 View Post
                    WorldMark Windsor Sonoma would be the easiest trade and perhaps the only one in RCI. Currently they have bulk deposited up to February 2014. I'd put in a search if you must have summer.
                    This was where we stayed and the location was great for exploring Sonoma and Napa. We went in October, which is crush time, and the weather was wonderful.

Comment

If the goal of the trip is wine-tasting other places to consider (beyond those previously mentioned) include Sedona, Oregon (any place near the Willamette Valley, Seattle, and Kelowna.

Comment

We aren't wine drinkers but another place in California where the town had a lot of wine tasting and we see a lot more grapes growing is Worldmark Solvang.
                        Bart
                        I live to vacation and vacation to live.

Comment

If you know someone with access to GPX, there is always tons of bonus time at Riverpointe in all seasons.

Don't worry about "snooty and overpriced."

We had an absolute blast and found nearly everyone friendly and passionate about wine.

Of course, I'm a lifelong Californian so I know the secret handshake.

Comment

Originally posted by Icc5 View Post
                            We aren't wine drinkers but another place in California where the town had a lot of wine tasting and we see a lot more grapes growing is Worldmark Solvang.
                            Bart
                            Isn't that the place that Carly Simon sang about one time. "You're Solvang. I bet you think this song is about you."

Comment

Originally posted by T. R. Oglodyte View Post
                              Isn't that the place that Carly Simon sang about one time. "You're Solvang. I bet you think this song is about you."
                              Besides the punishment, The Movie Sideways takes place in the Santa Inez Valley

Comment

Working...
                              X