Input on stay in the Keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input on stay in the Keys

Dh and I will be going to Orlando at the end of October and have been talking about adding a few days in the Keys. Already checked timeshare trades and there is nothing. We've gotten the recommendation to stay in Key West since it's the farthest down in the chain. Now I'm looking for input on how many nights we should stay, and potential places. I'm looking into rentals that can be cancelled, since our plans are still not firm. So I'm most likely looking at hotels. Mostly want to know where would be a good location, beach front? town?
    Luanne

www.littlepalmisland.com
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Thanks. Sounds gorgeous, but looks to be a bit more than we wanted to spend.
      Luanne

Comment

We lived in SE Florida for 8 years and went to the keys several times. We are not big fans of the keys. The first time we went to Key West was to see it for ourselves. We stayed a couple nights in a hotel in Key West and did the tourist stuff. In my opinion one day is enough time to spend there. We decided we would never go back but we would get visitors that wanted to see the Keys so we ended up going several more times. It is a long drive out to Key West. I have also done it by boat.

We also went several times to John Pennecamp Coral Reef State Park at Key Largo for snorkeling. They have a live reef that has the best snorkeling I have seen. It is like snorkeling in a huge salt water aquarium with all the brightly colored many species of fish and sea life. I strongly recommend it. They have very reasonable snorkeling tours and supply all the equipment.

http://pennekamppark.com/
        John

Comment

Thanks John. Dh really wants to see the Keys and we thought this would be a good time to do it. Appreciate the input on other places to see.
          Luanne

Comment

I would stay in Key West, in or near Old Town, NOT near the airport by the newer Hyatt timeshares. There is a Hyatt Sunset that is in a superb location. Also the Banyan Resort and the Galleon. I have friends who recently stayed at a hotel there, too, will check and get back to you - Oh... rent a scooter

Comment

Originally posted by Glitter Brunello View Post
              I would stay in Key West, in or near Old Town, NOT near the airport by the newer Hyatt timeshares. There is a Hyatt Sunset that is in a superb location. Also the Banyan Resort and the Galleon. I have friends who recently stayed at a hotel there, too, will check and get back to you
              Thanks. I got the recommendation for a B&B called the Avalon that sounds nice, and pretty reasonable.

Oh... rent a scooter
              Not happening.
              Luanne

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne View Post
                Thanks. I got the recommendation for a B&B called the Avalon that sounds nice, and pretty reasonable.

Not happening.
                Looks great. I am a scooter chicken but we rented one there and I was fine. Very low traffic, uncrooked streets with no blind curves. We flew into Key West so didn't have a car, and it's much easier to park a scooter

Comment

Looks great. I am a scooter chicken but we rented one there and I was fine. Very low traffic, uncrooked streets with no blind curves. We flew into Key West so didn't have a car, and it's much easier to park a scooter
                  We'll have a car. And from what I understand most things are within walking distance.

How many nights do you recommend?
                  Luanne

Comment

I think three would be plenty assuming you will stop and see a few keys on your way down and back. You could get away with two though it's a long drive down from Miami. Key West has gotten very honky tonk/trash touristy (shops selling crap, not necessarily trashy tourists) in the main part of Duval due to cruise ship overwhelm. I would check to see if there are days that the port doesn't have ships in, it will be more pleasant. I just heard back from my friend, he stayed in a 3 bedroom at the Marriott with four kids so not what you're looking for.

Comment

We will actually be coming from Orlando, which looks like about a 6 hour drive. Maybe we should break that up with a stop one night in between. Any suggestions? West Palm Beach? Ft. Lauderdale? Miami?
                      Luanne

Comment

We will actually be coming from Orlando, which looks like about a 6 hour drive. Maybe we should break that up with a stop one night in between. Any suggestions? West Palm Beach? Ft. Lauderdale? Miami?
                        Miami is the last mainland stopping off point. For one night, stay in South Beach for the experience.

Comment

Miami is the last mainland stopping off point. For one night, stay in South Beach for the experience.
                          And what kind of experience would that be?
                          Luanne

Comment

And what kind of experience would that be?
                            Honestly, it may be indescribable. But an interesting people-watching excursion, at a minimum.

On a serious note, there is some fantastic original art deco architecture there.

Comment

Honestly, it may be indescribable. But an interesting people-watching excursion, at a minimum.

On a serious note, there is some fantastic original art deco architecture there.
                              Recommendations on places to stay? Or general area?
                              Luanne

Comment

Working...
                              X