7 weeks in Hawaii overkill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JWC View Post
    Here is a cost of living comparison between Sydney and Honolulu.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...Honolulu%2C+HI

Consumer prices are considerable lower in Honolulu, especially restaurant prices and clothing and of course going to a movie.
    Interesting link. I did expect grocery prices to be higher due to the quantity of imported food but am surprised that the restaurant prices are so much lower.

Sydney, friends go to Hawaii to rest/relax and shop for clothes and shoes (no kids). I can't think of anything worse than shopping for clothes with kids but I do know some people consider it an appropriate holiday activity. I don't have any recommendations but here are some of my generic "island activities" ideas -

surfing lessons
    Kayak tours
    Bird/Turtle watching
    Whale spotting
    Farm visits - food production
    Cooking classes - local food and recipes
    Bushwalking
    Horseback treks
    outrigger canoe rides
    paddleboards
    dance lessons - hula workshop?
    fire twirling
    lei making
    Star spotting (constellations not people)
    Food Markets - food identification

Comment

Emmy & Carol, thanks for your comments and suggestions.
      That's a very interesting link John. Thank you.
      I think it's pretty surprising that Sydney is more expensive than New York or London, according to the graph at the bottom of the page.
      I don't know where they get their figures but there is no way we pay that much for bread, milk & eggs in Sydney unless you deliberately shop at the most expensive places possible.
      Syd

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
        Emmy & Carol, thanks for your comments and suggestions.
        That's a very interesting link John. Thank you.
        I think it's pretty surprising that Sydney is more expensive than New York or London, according to the graph at the bottom of the page.
        I don't know where they get their figures but there is no way we pay that much for bread, milk & eggs in Sydney unless you deliberately shop at the most expensive places possible.
        We also don't pay nearly as much for produce and many other items they show for San Diego.
        John

Comment

Originally posted by dvf_diva View Post
          VERY expensive
          Depends on how you live, where you go, what you eat

We spent 6 weeks on the BI some years ago - usually spend 4weeks - once we spend the airfare,we may as well stay,. Will spend another 6 weeks in November/December 2015 --

but we don;t think it's overkill - since we are "just living in a warm place" and not "vacationing". And we have become "stick in the mud's: liking to stay in one place for a while -

and we have made many friends there and also ,,, big advantage, my brother is there...

yes - we might "go native" haha

buy at Costco, Target, and farmer markets --
          7 years of fulltime timesharing, only 6-7 months, now based in Puyallup, WA
          www.ronandjoanjourney@blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
          X