7 weeks in Hawaii overkill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarolF View Post
    Just love the Big Mac Index. I found this 2013 Australian menu (unfortunately I don't know if it is accurate) can you comment on the prices please. (I'm hoping Sydney might know some prices)
    http://principletraveler.blogspot.co...rice-list.html
    Not sure. Our kids hate Maccas and refuse to eat there. 'The burgers are better at Hungry Jacks'.

Originally posted by philsfan View Post
    Wanna adopt a 52 year old who never grew up?
    Sure! We can hide you in one of our luggage.

Originally posted by LisaH View Post
    I think you will really enjoy 5-6 weeks in Hawaii. I would do two weeks on the Big Island, then one to two weeks on Maui, one week each on Kauai and Oahu. Maybe come to SF or LA for a week or two in between. Be sure to let me know if you decide to come to SF. I would love to meet you and your family if I am in town
    Definitely will do, if we end up in SF Lisa.
    Originally posted by easyrider View Post
    I would do it, especially in the winter. I seem to like warmer weather better than cold anymore. My wife wouldn't as she likes to visit the kids often. The only drawback for me is I might miss my dog.
    We're leaving beautiful weather Sydney for the cold climate in the Northern hemisphere. One of our boys said he wants to travel Australia for 7 wks instead. But I just think that's a waste of long service leave!

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
    Food and even supplies go to Oahu first then get boated to the other islands. A loaf a bread at a supermarket will shock you. Big Mac 3X the price as in NY
    Just as well we don't like Big Macs then!

Originally posted by dvf_diva View Post
    VERY expensive

Originally posted by T. R. Oglodyte View Post
    I don't know that it has the best snorkeling in the world. I believe there are many Caribbean locales that are better.

If snorkeling and the volcano are important then you want to visit the Big Island. The west side of the Big Island has the best snorkeling, because that is where the water is clearest. Next after that would be the west side of Maui.

We usually spend 2 to 2-1/2 weeks on Hawaii when we go. I find that is enough time to relax, and after that amount of time I personally feel as if I"m ready to get back home. When we went for a week it seemed to go by too quickly - I felt like I never really settled in. When we extended it to two weeks, I felt as if I could really appreciate the time. But that's about where I'm ready to head back. But the next year I'm rarin' to get back.
    Thanks Steve! Will keep that in mind.
    Sydney
    Contributor - Bronze
    Last edited by Sydney; 09-19-2013, 11:54 PM. Reason: typo
    Syd

Comment

We are just winding up our week on Kauai. We have loved our stay at Bali Hai, and have done a ton of sightseeing, including a fabulous small-plane air tour, and a wonderful luau. It is an incredibly beautiful island, but we are ready to leave. Things are very expensive here, even everyday groceries are out of sight. The tours we took wer ealso very costly, so I hate to think what it would cost for a family with children to do some of these actiivities. JMHO.

Dori

Comment

We spend 8 weeks in Hawaii every other year. We love Hawaii and have to be somewhere besides Illinois in the winter. We usually split the time between 2 or 3 islands and don't get tired of being there. It is always sad leaving and coming back to still cold weather at home. If you are planning vacation type activities everyday, 7 weeks might be too long. We do some activities but spend a lot of the time just enjoying being able to get outside, taking long walks and just taking advantage of being able to get outside.

Comment

I think how long you'll want to be there depends very much on how devoted you are to beaches. I care nothing about beaches and prefer to do different types of sightseeing, so I'd really rather be in cities with lots of variety. When I'm going "nature sightseeing," I like to see things I haven't seen before, and for me, beaches just don't do it (of course, I live on a beach half the year even though I don't spend any time actually on it).

For us, Hawaii is really not a return destination; we've been three times for a couple of weeks each time and visited several islands, but they really hold no appeal (liked the volcano and Pearl Harbor and the Missouri, and snorkeling and the canyon and several drives); we'd go crazy with 7 weeks there.
          "You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity." Adrian Rogers

Comment

I don't recall thinking the Big Island was too expensive as compared to Maui and Kauai. Am I wrong?
            Syd, have you guys already done Indonesia? That could be a nice stop on your way home if you want to cut your time in Hawaii. Split between Hawaii, Thailand, Bali.... ?
            There is really good snorkeling in Hawaii, and different than some other places, but it can be somewhat specific - on the Big Island there's a place where you can swim with hundreds of turtles, and you can do a night snorkel with rays. There are some other good spots, too. We did some decent snorkeling on Maui but I think the Caribbean can be equally good or better, and the water there is generally warmer

OR what about heading for some skiing/snowboarding on the West Coast of North America before you hit Hawaii? Or did you already do that?

Comment

Originally posted by CarolF View Post
              Just love the Big Mac Index. I found this 2013 Australian menu (unfortunately I don't know if it is accurate) can you comment on the prices please. (I'm hoping Sydney might know some prices)

http://principletraveler.blogspot.co...rice-list.html
              Much more expensive than here in California. Don't know about Hawaii because we don't eat fast food when we go there.
              John

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                Steve, haha. Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies!
                I read that Hawaii has some of the best snorkelling in the world. Admittedly, I think it was a US travel survey and didn't include the Great Barrier Reef in Oz. Anyway, that kind of piqued our interest. The fact that there is a volcano to check out is pretty cool for our boys too. But I just don't want to be spending 7 wks hanging out at the beach or in the same part of the world. Maybe we can fly to the mainland via Hawaii and spend a wk or 2 there then?
                Has anyone stayed at a Worldmark there? Which timeshare through RCI would you reccommend for a family of 7? And which island for one a wk or 2? Thanks again!
                Frank, so Hawaii is expensive hey? Drats.
                Expensive is relative to what you are used to. I expect that Hawaii, at least Oahu is not more expensive than Australia.

The big Island is definitely more expensive than Oahu ( Waikiki ). We found that you could find reasonable priced restaurants in Waikiki. You can get coupons for 2 for 1 etc. in the free tourist magazines that are all over. The Shorebird is very good and very reasonable with the coupons and is located right on the beach at Waikiki. Grocery prices are very expensive compared to the US mainland.

The odd thing is that I bought rechargeable batteries for my camera at the Walmart on the Kona Coast on the big island and the price was pretty reasonable.

We don't like the Big Island so a day was too long for us. However we do love Oahu, especially Waikiki though I suspect that anything over 3 weeks would be too much for us. Can't say for the other islands as we have no interest in visiting them.
                John

Comment

We spend 4 weeks in Hawaii every November, and I could happily stay longer. We only come home because Christmas traditions and family are a big draw. Others have suggested combining Hawaii with a trip to the US mainland - if you do that I would suggest San Diego. Lots to do there with kids, including the wonderful zoo, SeaWorld, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by eal View Post
                    We spend 4 weeks in Hawaii every November, and I could happily stay longer. We only come home because Christmas traditions and family are a big draw. Others have suggested combining Hawaii with a trip to the US mainland - if you do that I would suggest San Diego. Lots to do there with kids, including the wonderful zoo, SeaWorld, etc.
                    I strongly recommend San Diego as well. We lived in San Diego for 20+ years and now live just an hour away.
                    John

Comment

The best snorkeling I have ever seen was at the live reef by John Pennecamp State park at Key Largo Florida. It was like being in a salt water aquarium with tons of different very colorful fish and sea life. I even came face to face with a Barracuda.
                      John

Comment

I just love Hawaii bagtags at the golf course.

Today a couple had Poipu Bay, Kapalua and Ko Olina.
                        RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

I spent a good 21 years there, and I can honestly say that 7 weeks is not overkill.

Comment

Originally posted by Dori View Post
                            Things are very expensive here.... I hate to think what it would cost for a family with children to do some of these actiivities. JMHO.
                            Dori
                            Originally posted by JWC View Post
                            Expensive is relative to what you are used to. I expect that Hawaii, at least Oahu is not more expensive than Australia.
                            Dori and JWC, Sydney is pretty expensive so maybe Hawaii won't seem too steep for us then? My husband was saying that a work colleague recently went to Hawaai and didn't mention how expensive it was but he is single so maybe didn't notice.
                            Originally posted by tniel View Post
                            We spend 8 weeks in Hawaii every other year. We love Hawaii and have to be somewhere besides Illinois in the winter. We usually split the time between 2 or 3 islands and don't get tired of being there. It is always sad leaving and coming back to still cold weather at home. If you are planning vacation type activities everyday, 7 weeks might be too long. We do some activities but spend a lot of the time just enjoying being able to get outside, taking long walks and just taking advantage of being able to get outside.
                            Thank you tniel. We generally like to mix relaxation in with sight-seeing and just spending time together so a slower pace suits us.

Originally posted by Pstreet1 View Post
                            I think how long you'll want to be there depends very much on how devoted you are to beaches. I care nothing about beaches and prefer to do different types of sightseeing, so I'd really rather be in cities with lots of variety. When I'm going "nature sightseeing," I like to see things I haven't seen before, and for me, beaches just don't do it (of course, I live on a beach half the year even though I don't spend any time actually on it).
                            Thanks Pstreet1, we're not into visiting beaches either while overseas. The reason being that there are plenty of beautiful beaches here and we usually go to the beach for a holiday once a year.

Originally posted by Glitter Brunello View Post
                            I don't recall thinking the Big Island was too expensive as compared to Maui and Kauai. Am I wrong?
                            Syd, have you guys already done Indonesia? That could be a nice stop on your way home if you want to cut your time in Hawaii. Split between Hawaii, Thailand, Bali.... ?
                            There is really good snorkeling in Hawaii, and different than some other places, but it can be somewhat specific - on the Big Island there's a place where you can swim with hundreds of turtles, and you can do a night snorkel with rays. There are some other good spots, too. We did some decent snorkeling on Maui but I think the Caribbean can be equally good or better, and the water there is generally warmer

OR what about heading for some skiing/snowboarding on the West Coast of North America before you hit Hawaii? Or did you already do that?
                            Glitter, I mentioned Bali to DH and he said no. I think Bali has a somewhat negative reputation among some Aussies who see it as too touristy and full of Aussies. At least, that was his reason. We'd like to add a side trip to Thailand as a friend opened up an orphanage there that we support, so we'd like to visit at the beginning of our trip if possible. Depends on the ticket available.

DH suggested going around Asia for the full 7 wks, but I'm a bit nervous about the kids catching something and getting sick. It may be a bit difficult with a large family such as ours to avoid illness, although we've never had any problems before in all our travels. We go to the snow every July for a week with friends. We may go to the snow if we end up somewhere cold but wouldn't go specifically for it. The swim with turtles and snorkelling sounds fabulous. Kids also want to do another Caribbean cruise.

I wouldn't mind a repeat of our 2005 trip but DH thinks the US is boring because it is English speaking and similar to Australia. I've been trying to convince him that you Americans are a totally different culture and you do not speak English as we know it. I mean, you can't even spell "snorkelling" right!

Originally posted by eal View Post
                            That might be what we end up doing eal. Thanks.

Originally posted by JWC View Post
                            The best snorkeling I have ever seen was at the live reef by John Pennecamp State park at Key Largo Florida. It was like being in a salt water aquarium with tons of different very colorful fish and sea life. I even came face to face with a Barracuda.
                            We may visit Florida again as our youngest hasn't been, so I'll have to keep your suggestion in mind. Thanks JWC.

Originally posted by Hoc View Post
                            I spent a good 21 years there, and I can honestly say that 7 weeks is not overkill.
                            Thanks Hoc. Why did you leave then!?
                            Syd

Comment

Dori and JWC, Sydney is pretty expensive so maybe Hawaii won't seem too steep for us then? My husband was saying that a work colleague recently went to Hawaai and didn't mention how expensive it was but he is single so maybe didn't notice.
                              Here is a cost of living comparison between Sydney and Honolulu.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...Honolulu%2C+HI

Consumer prices are considerable lower in Honolulu, especially restaurant prices and clothing and of course going to a movie.
                              John

Comment

Originally posted by T. R. Oglodyte View Post
                                Be careful. With seven weeks there you might end up Going Native.
                                I agree. The longest we have stayed there is five weeks or even a little longer but then on more than one island.

We're deciding where to go for 6-8 weeks over Dec 14-Jan 15. Could you spend 6-7 weeks in Hawaii over Winter or is that just overkill? Kids said they want to go somewhere not cold and prefer it to be warm.
                                Hubby wants to do Europe again and I wouldn't mind spending that time on mainland USA but it's just so cold at all the places we want to visit there.
                                Sydney, you may want to stay several weeks on each island except for Molokai and Lanai. Each island is different but Hawaii has an active volcano. My SIL didn't like driving there in the beginning because it is erie but then it grew on her and seeing the lava flow is well worth seeing. You also can go star gazing in the snow some time of the year.

Island hopping is getting expensive now unless you do it at in the beginning or at the end of the trip. We used to go from one island to the other but not anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X