Smuggs in the Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smuggs in the Summer

I'm off to Smuggs......I know there will be a lot of add-on fees which I have started to research.

RCI disclosure reads:
    Housekeeping Fees
    "For all RCI points reservations: There may be a 50.00 U.S. dollars for 1 Bedroom units, weekly. "

Resort Fees
    Resort amenities fee is US$10.00 por día to US$30.00 por 7 días U.S. dollars.
    Resort amenities fee is 49 to 343 U.S. dollars.
    Fee of $49 a day or $343 a week for Summer Programming and activities.
    Resort amenities fee is 39 to 273 U.S. dollars.
    Fee of $39 a day or $273 a week for Winter Programming and activities.

Then I see this on smuggs site: Look like some kind of pass fee
    http://www.smuggs.com/pages/summer/r...erBenefits.php

Unit Location
    I have a 1BR via RCI - so don't think I know what section it is in. Can I make a request? If so, any suggestions?
    mdurette
    Last edited by mdurette; 07-12-2013, 12:25 PM.

Originally posted by mdurette View Post
    I'm off to Smuggs......I know there will be a lot of add-on fees which I have started to research.

RCI disclosure reads:
    Housekeeping Fees
    "For all RCI points reservations: There may be a 50.00 U.S. dollars for 1 Bedroom units, weekly. "

Resort Fees
    Resort amenities fee is US$10.00 por día to US$30.00 por 7 días U.S. dollars.
    Resort amenities fee is 49 to 343 U.S. dollars.
    Fee of $49 a day or $343 a week for Summer Programming and activities.
    Resort amenities fee is 39 to 273 U.S. dollars.
    Fee of $39 a day or $273 a week for Winter Programming and activities.

Then I see this on smuggs site: Look like some kind of pass fee
    http://www.smuggs.com/pages/summer/r...erBenefits.php

Unit Location
    I have a 1BR via RCI - so don't think I know what section it is in. Can I make a request? If so, any suggestions?
    Most owners own fixed week, fixed units. In most cases you will get the unit that was deposited. If it is from Wyndham points it can be anywhere. You can sometimes tell by the number of private and non private sleeping in the unit. If you pull up the confirmation from RCI it won't show you a unit number now but sometimes in the original email confirmation it lists a code that would indicate the unit that is initially assigned to you. They do not show it on the final confirmation because the resort reserves the right to substitute units.

Housekeeping fees only apply if you have more or less than 7 days or are checking in during a non traditional check in day and have to change units.

The Programming fees are per unit so if you have a smaller unit and less people it costs the same as the largest units for 8-10 people. Without kids I definitely wouldn't think the programming fee would be worth it.

Comment

The programming fee is the same as the pass - you need it to get into most of the specialty pools. RCI should tell you if call them what the unit number is. They might say it's not guaranteed, etc but you can tell them you know that but need to check on something with the resort about the unit. There are some nice new 1 bedrooms up there.

Comment

I think I will trying calling RCI today, just for the heck of it!

It matched up as a 1 BR - spleeps 6 with 4 privately. I'm thinking the bedroom must have a sleepsofa or 2 queens??????

Comment

Originally posted by mdurette View Post
          I think I will trying calling RCI today, just for the heck of it!

It matched up as a 1 BR - spleeps 6 with 4 privately. I'm thinking the bedroom must have a sleepsofa or 2 queens??????
          Nice grab!

A lot of the 1BR units at Smuggs will sleep 6 with various set-ups, usually a trundle in the master. IF RCI will give you a unit number we can figure it out with the alpha- portion.

No matter where you are put you will enjoy. DS still talks about wanting to go back and he is now in his late teens. If you like walking definately go on up to Rum Runners for a swim. It'll help burn off the Ben & Jerrys.
          Lawren
          ------------------------
          There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
          - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

I noticed on a trip advisor review that smuggs responded to that they suggested exchangers call in for their unit assignments prior to coming. So, I called Smuggs. Subject to Change but they said it will definitely be in the West Hill Community, Sycamore 60.

She said location is nice, walk to the main area. 1BR has a king and a trundle. Living room as the sleep sofa.

Anyone know if these are older or newer units?

Ben and Jerry's is already on my "to-do" list! Looks like there is a hot air balloon festival going on that week also. I'm loving this RCI score!!!!!

They also told me it is best to bring my own pool towels and the grills are not propane. Humm....never used charcoal before.

Anything else I should know. I'm wondering if I should bring bikes? Groceries?

Comment

Sycamore is among the newer buildings. Not the newest, but lovely. I have stayed there quite happily. Definitely a major score for primo summer. It's very hilly around there, I wouldn't bother with bikes unless you're avid bikers. Do bring good walking/hiking shoes for the walk to RumRunners and any other hikes you may want to do - there are a lot! There is a decent store there for whatever you might forget. There is also a small grocery store and liquor store nearby, with bigger groceries available a little further away (I've never gone so not sure where or how far). I like bringing a cooler so we can picnic if we feel like it. If you're bringing kids, bring some marshmallows for the campfire (though you can certainly get those up there too). Have a blast!!!

Comment

Sycamores is a newer complex of buildings, 3 in all, in their own section. It has its own heated pool and lovely views, as well as an exercise room. I've stayed in their 2 BRS and they are nice units, well maintained.

Grills are not charcoal,(they don;t allow lighter fluid) but some easy to use stuff that is sold in their grocery store, which you must use. There's also a communal grill/BBQ party set up at the Notchville pool complex - 5-6 PM Mondays - you can use their all-ready-to grill big units, you supply your food, they supply everything else - and meet people.

Grocery - a big supermarket is at least 30 minutes away. Smugglers store stocks a variety of items, priced like any other t/s store. Hanley's market in in Jeffersonvile (nearest town 6 miles from resort) and they have a good selction of items, good meat dept, and not priced too badly. Now that it is just 2 of us goinmg, I plan meals ahead of time, bring a lot of staples /dry goods from home and fill in the fresh meats/produce from Hanleys.

Bikes - as they say "Vermont ain't flat". There are flat roads and you can bike along the highway, but the hills can be killer especially if you're not used to them.

Try to get to Rum Runners for a swim - nice cool reservoir on property, 30 minute walk/'hike', lovely setting.
                Adult entertainment - Sunday nights and Thursday nights - don't miss the live music in Bootleggers lounge, and do catch the magician Marko - I still love his kids' show done outdoors on Wednesdays, if you don't want to catch the adult show in the evening..

Anything else you specifically want to know, just ask. When will you be there?

Comment

To add to Irene's post, I must say that Marko's grown-up show is fabulous. Very different from the kids show so worth doing both. And I would go to the kids show again even without kids, and I ordinarily RUN from anything like that.

Comment

So if they have their own nice pool and exercise area, do they need to buy the Smuggs pass for anything? Seems like the outdoorsy stuff is free, the pass just covers pools they do not want to use anyway???
                    Pat
                    *** My Website ***

Comment

Originally posted by GrayFal View Post
                      So if they have their own nice pool and exercise area, do they need to buy the Smuggs pass for anything? Seems like the outdoorsy stuff is free, the pass just covers pools they do not want to use anyway???
                      I think you need it for rumrunners. Irene?

Actually, I'm sure you do. Because I was hopping mad the last time I was there - we bought the pass and it turned out Rumrunners was closed for the season (we went the last week in August) but we didn't find out until Day 4 of the week and they wouldn't refund. We did end up using the Mountainside pool, though. Of course I was sorry we had to access to that, but the kids loved it
                      Glitter Brunello
                      Super Moderator
                      Last edited by Glitter Brunello; 07-13-2013, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Don't know OP or composition of who is going to Smugglers, but if just 2 adults, I'd say no pass.
                        TECHNICALLY they would not be allowed to do anything oprganized (even see magician outdoors!) but I still haven't seen any real checking going on apart from 2 pool complexes, and the organized walks and hikes... (Bootleggers adult venue for music or Marko magician would be exempt from pass fees as would any adult evening activities where you pay $15 for comedy or hypnosis show).

Comment

We went last year and we didn't feel the pass was worth it for us. We were in Mountain Laurels and so we had our "own" pool, which everybody was happy with because it was nice and warm and right outside the door. Take a look at the "extra" pools before you commit--they're pretty small, and if you don't have perfect swimming weather, you might not use them. The pass gives you a discount on the children's camps, but if you're not taking children who would enjoy them, you won't be using the camps. Not sure about Rum Runner's, but the weather our week never really warmed up enough or stopped raining long enough to walk there. Our teenagers went on the yoga walk, which they liked, and our youngest DD went on the llama trek with Dad, which she enjoyed, but I think both of those cost extra and the pass didn't cover them.

Comment

Originally posted by wackymother View Post
                            We went last year and we didn't feel the pass was worth it for us. We were in Mountain Laurels and so we had our "own" pool, which everybody was happy with because it was nice and warm and right outside the door. Take a look at the "extra" pools before you commit--they're pretty small, and if you don't have perfect swimming weather, you might not use them. The pass gives you a discount on the children's camps, but if you're not taking children who would enjoy them, you won't be using the camps. Not sure about Rum Runner's, but the weather our week never really warmed up enough or stopped raining long enough to walk there. Our teenagers went on the yoga walk, which they liked, and our youngest DD went on the llama trek with Dad, which she enjoyed, but I think both of those cost extra and the pass didn't cover them.
                            The pass doesn't cover any of the "add on" activities. And I agree not worth it if going without kids.

Comment

OP is 2 adults I believe. Or is that rapmark?
                              Pat
                              *** My Website ***

Comment

Working...
                              X