Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LivingSocial: HistoryGeek Tour of Central Park for two, $39

https://www.livingsocial.com/cities/...m_source=blast

Founded by history buffs who were unsatisfied with less-than-complete tours of the Big Apple, this tour will delight locals and first-time visitors alike. Enjoy the wealth of interesting history and beautiful views available with these knowledgeable guides:
    • $39 ($78 value) for a Central Park tour for two people
    • $78 ($156 value) for a Central Park tour for four people
    • Tours last about two hours
    A Walk in the Park
    A true respite from the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, Central Park has long delighted both tourists and locals. On this fun-filled and informative jaunt, you'll visit Belvedere Castle, Conservatory Garden, Shakespeare Garden, Wisteria Pagoda, Turtle Pond, and more. The tour meets at 59th Street and East Drive near the park's southern end, and there's plenty in the area to keep you entertained afterward.
    HistoryGeek New York's Website
    PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON July 17, 2019
    PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON January 30, 2015

Thanks for the link. We bought 1 even though Im not positive we will do it. The deal guarantee makes this a no brainer , imo.

Comment

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
      Thanks for the link. We bought 1 even though Im not positive we will do it. The deal guarantee makes this a no brainer , imo.
      I debated posting it, but the truth is that Central Park is not that easy to navigate. I get lost myself sometimes (honestly, too often) just trying to cross from the west side to the east, so this is a good way for visitors to see the highlights.

Comment

Were still deciding on seeing Billy Joel at the Garden but I would rather see Robert Plant in Brooklyn. The boss will let me know.

Comment

I invariably get lost in Central Park. There are all these things in there I've never seen because I used to set out to see the Alice statue,, for example, and then I'd get lost and have to take myself for coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by wackymother View Post
            I invariably get lost in Central Park. There are all these things in there I've never seen because I used to set out to see the Alice statue,, for example, and then I'd get lost and have to take myself for coffee.
            Is that at Belvedere Castle? I have tried several times to download navigable maps of the park to no avail. I think they purposefully make it hard to find things in order to keep the crowds dispersed

Comment

Originally posted by Glitter Brunello View Post
              Is that at Belvedere Castle? I have tried several times to download navigable maps of the park to no avail. I think they purposefully make it hard to find things in order to keep the crowds dispersed
              My DH says it's right outside the children's zoo. But I've been to that zoo several times, and I don't remember seeing the statue.

I've never seen Belvedere Castle (he says that's behind the Delacorte)...I've never seen the Dairy Barn (he says that's right by the carousel)...never seen the place where people go boating? And get married? What's that called?

OTOH, years ago I went on a private tour with the head of the Central Park horticultural team and saw all this interesting stuff in the park that people don't know about. Way up at the north end, there's a beautiful pavillion with a classical allee of trees--they have events there, too. And did you know that some of the last American chestnuts live in Central Park? When all the chestnuts were wiped out by disease, some of the ones in Central Park survived because they're in the middle of an island and isolated from other diseased trees. Some of those were still alive in the mid-1990s; I hope they're there still.

Comment

Thanks for posting.... will definitely do this !
                Judy

Comment

That's so cool about the chestnuts -- well, not that they were wiped out, but that some survived in Central Park.

My DH says it's right outside the children's zoo. But I've been to that zoo several times, and I don't remember seeing the statue.
                  Google Maps puts it between East Drive (within the park) and Fifth Avenue, and it would be between E. 75th street and E. 76th street if they continued into the park. It's kind of at the head of a pond or lake the map calls "Conservatory Water" -- the Hans Christian Anderson statue is on the park side of the same pond. It's closer to the Art Museum (although Cedar Hill is between them) than it is to the zoo (unless there's a children's zoo separate from the Central Park Zoo that I don't know about

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbitess View Post
                    That's so cool about the chestnuts -- well, not that they were wiped out, but that some survived in Central Park.

Google Maps puts it between East Drive (within the park) and Fifth Avenue, and it would be between E. 75th street and E. 76th street if they continued into the park. It's kind of at the head of a pond or lake the map calls "Conservatory Water" -- the Hans Christian Anderson statue is on the park side of the same pond. It's closer to the Art Museum (although Cedar Hill is between them) than it is to the zoo (unless there's a children's zoo separate from the Central Park Zoo that I don't know about
                    Thanks! When you say "Art Museum," you mean the Metropolitan Museum, right? There's no secret art museum in the park, is there?

The place with the boats, where they have weddings, is called...the Boathouse. I remembered in the middle of the night. Duh.

Comment

I've never seen Belvedere Castle (he says that's behind the Delacorte)...I've never seen the Dairy Barn (he says that's right by the carousel)...never seen the place where people go boating? And get married? What's that called?

OTOH, years ago I went on a private tour with the head of the Central Park horticultural team and saw all this interesting stuff in the park that people don't know about. Way up at the north end, there's a beautiful pavillion with a classical allee of trees--they have events there, too. And did you know that some of the last American chestnuts live in Central Park? When all the chestnuts were wiped out by disease, some of the ones in Central Park survived because they're in the middle of an island and isolated from other diseased trees. Some of those were still alive in the mid-1990s; I hope they're there still.
                      Hmm, I have definitely seen the Alice statue, just can't remember where. It probably is somewhere near the children's zoo now that you mention it.

Comment

Working...
                      X