Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manhattan

Things I find odd about Manhattan.

1. People forget how to walk. I kid you not. While I have no problem walking with people I do notice that people seem to have a problem walking near me. I have even tried stopping so people can get by but the passing on the right side doesn't seem to apply in Manhattan. It seems to be 90% women. I also noticed that many women wear high heels and are having problems with walking. I thought high heels were for show, not walking long distances.

2. The subway is fun until too many people pack into a train. Then its not really fun but is very funny.

3. Crown Royal cost about $50 per fifth and smokes are $14 a pack. Whats up with that ?

4. There was no Irish music at the Irish pub.

5. Beer was $8 a can at Rock of Ages.

6. People can't smoke inside anywhere so everyone smokes on the sidewalks.

7. A group of African Americans were chanting at time square and one of the fellows got in front of my wife forcing me to chant at him which excited his friends who all started chanting at me. ha ha, this was kind of fun.

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
    Things I find odd about Manhattan.

1. People forget how to walk. I kid you not. While I have no problem walking with people I do notice that people seem to have a problem walking near me. I have even tried stopping so people can get by but the passing on the right side doesn't seem to apply in Manhattan. It seems to be 90% women. I also noticed that many women wear high heels and are having problems with walking. I thought high heels were for show, not walking long distances.

2. The subway is fun until too many people pack into a train. Then its not really fun but is very funny.

3. Crown Royal cost about $50 per fifth and smokes are $14 a pack. Whats up with that ?

4. There was no Irish music at the Irish pub.

5. Beer was $8 a can at Rock of Ages.

6. People can't smoke inside anywhere so everyone smokes on the sidewalks.

7. A group of African Americans were chanting at time square and one of the fellows got in front of my wife forcing me to chant at him which excited his friends who all started chanting at me. ha ha, this was kind of fun.
    Well, at least you have really nice weather.

Women actually wear and walk around Manhattan in high heels.

You shouldn't be smoking

You need to walk a few blocks west to buy your booze (and beer)

Walking is definitely an art in Manhattan….it is related to everyone being on a "device" when they walk - they aren't looking!
    Pat
    *** My Website ***

Comment

I find it's the tourists who don't know how to walk in New York! Also, they stop at the top of escalators. That makes me nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by wackymother View Post
        I find it's the tourists who don't know how to walk in New York! Also, they stop at the top of escalators. That makes me nuts.
        Or the top of the subway steps…they keep looking UP!
        Pat
        *** My Website ***

Comment

Today the woman in front of me was knitting as she crossed the intersection in Manhattan.

Comment

Originally posted by happymum View Post
            Today the woman in front of me was knitting as she crossed the intersection in Manhattan.
            Urgent deadline, no doubt.

Comment

Bill, think about it this way, you got to see Rock of Ages with your $8 beer, your smokes aren't $21 a pack and you're permitted to smoke on the sidewalk.

Comment

I think New Yorkers usually consider tourist to be like the walking dead. Lol......They walk slowly, they look, they stop, and then someone bangs right into them.

New Yorkers tend to walk very briskly, and are able to multitask at the same time.
                Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

8. Where are the regular stores. I can't figure out what to eat at whole foods. We bought some bread, mayo, lunch meat, cheese,chips, salsa and a few other things for over $70. I think it would have been better to go to Subway and get what I want when I want and the cost would be near the same.

Getting back to women in high heels , my wife says that most of these women are walking on their toes, what ever that means.

9. China Town is like Mexico except no one speaks Spanish.

10. Little Italy is an alright place to eat, imo. It reminds me of Christmas for some reason.

Comment

10. Little Italy is an alright place to eat, imo. It reminds me of Christmas for some reason.
                    Because they have those lights up all the time.

Comment

Are you referring to food stores?

8. Where are the regular stores. I can't figure out what to eat at whole foods. We bought some bread, mayo, lunch meat, cheese,chips, salsa and a few other things for over $70. I think it would have been better to go to Subway and get what I want when I want and the cost would be near the same.

Getting back to women in high heels , my wife says that most of these women are walking on their toes, what ever that means.

Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

I love this.

Comment

There should be an Associated Supermarket (or something like that) on 57th street, north side, between Broadway and 7th, close to Broadway. It's not great but it's more "regular" than Whole Foods. We don't have Big and Beautiful mall-like grocery markets - real estate is too expensive and not enough people cook. Plus many people just get their groceries delivered from FreshDirect. Also the neighborhood that TMC is in isn't highly residential. There is a Fairway on Broadway in the 70s - that's really good for produce and fresh fish, meats. And Trader Joe's on Bway at 72nd. You can also probably do FreshDirect to TMC - it may take a day depending on time slots available and if you're ordering things that need to be refrigerated you'd have to be around for the delivery (two hour windows).

Comment

Originally posted by Glitter Brunello View Post
                            I love this.
                            I wondered if it was you
                            Pat
                            *** My Website ***

Comment

I noticed only because she was walking very slowly and I assumed she was texting. Instead, I - a mere tourist, overtook her!

Comment

Working...
                              X