Smokey Mountains, TN Feed me tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokey Mountains, TN Feed me tips

Rhododendron... mid-June, so I'm told is best time. No kids... four 70 years + going "to smell the roses".

Please relate your tips on what to expect... Crowds, best parking spots for viewing, eating places, resorts with elevators and which floors/builings for best views.

Dollywood shows in mid-June? Gatliburg shows? Anything else?

I think you will be too late for the Rhodendrons. More like mid May.
    Traffic in June will be horrendous. Just be prepared for it. Not much you can do about it. There are some bypasses at Sevierville that can get you around to Gatlinburg.
    I have never been to any of the shows! except the Dixie Stampede. It was good and "the buffalo are back!" There are some that look good/ There is a Cirque show there now, too.
    Go to Cades Cove. Take in the Artisan Loop if you like crafts and pottery stuff.
    I's sure others will have more suggestions.
    Venda
    Port Charlotte, FL

Comment

Dollywood always has some good shows, but if you go a little earlier in the season, the International Festival (or whatever it is called) might be more interesting for an adult. The Kids Festival is sometime in June and would be less exciting for a grown-up.

The Apple Barn for a meal and the gift shop next door for the apple donuts, fried apple pies, or apple stack cake. Take a couple of boxes with you. You'll be glad you did.

If you're an old car fan, check the schedules and try to go to one of the many annual events. THEN traffic is REALLY bad.

Sheila

Comment

Mid-April to early June for spring flowering shrubs and trees. Apples, Azaleas, Redbud, Cherry, Bradford Pear, tulips, daffodils, Dogwoods, Trillium, wild hydrangea, hydrangea, tulip poplar. Go visit Townsend, Cases Cove, drive US 441 south to Cherokee, Clingman's Dome, Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail, Glade Road, Clint's BBQ on US 411 from Sevierville to Newport, Smoky Mountain Winery, The Apple Barn, The Alamo Steakhouse in Gatlinburg, Dollywood, Calhoun's in Gatlinburg, Tanger Outlet Mall in Pigeon Forge, Bass Pro Shop in Kodak, Russell Stover in Kodak, Smoky Mtn Knife Works. Lots to do and see. Stay off the main drag traveling S from I-40 to Gatlinburg on Friday afternoon, and traveling N on Sunday afternoon. Learn alternate travel routes in and out of the resort / strip areas. Drive from Sugarlands in the Park to Cades Cove, Townsend, and back to Pigeon Forge via Wears Valley. October is the time for fall colors, there will be color in November - but the peak is over. Drive the Blue Ridge Parkway from north of Cherokee to Asheville. Check out Biltmore. Then head south to Chimney Rock State Park and Lake Lure / Rumbling Bald area. Then take US 64 west over the divide, over I-26, into Hendersonville, and Brevard. Go up US 276 to Sliding Rock, and take the Blue Ridge Parkway back to Cherokee. Or you can stay west on US 64 from Brevard to Rosman, then take NC 215 through Balsam Grove to the Blue Ridge Parkway and on over to Cherokee. A vehicle is a must in this resort area.

Comment

Working...
        X