Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Trend's 40mpg compact sedan comparison

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/40-mpg-c...omparison.html

I just don't know folks. I have a 10 year old V6 Accord with all the bells and whistles that regularly and often exceeds 30mpg at 75-80mph on highways. (+10% more than estimated highway mileage of 27). I don't use the cruise control much because of congestion.

Why can't these newer, lighter, cars with smaller plants live up to the hype? Every single one fell 20% or lower than theoretical mileage. With that you get noise and plastic and unresponsiveness? Too much of a sacrifice for me.

Maybe someday I will force myself to stay at speed limit when I play my little mileage game and find out what the real numbers are as opposed to real life driving conditions.
    Lawren
    ------------------------
    There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
    - Rolf Kopfle

Where it was tested makes a difference. My Mazda5 is rated 21mpg city and 28mpg highway. It almost always exceeds those numbers. My last trip to Virginia we averaged 35mpg

Comment

After getting 9 MPG woth my SUV's I am happy with the 15-16 MPG I currently get with my cars. But the next car I would like to get closer to 20
      Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

My Honda Ridgeline gets 18-20 mpg. Consumer reports lists it at 15 mpg. It doesn't really matter to us. Fuel economy is not much of a factor when we purchase a vehicle. I am interested in comfort, performance, amenities, etc.
        John

Comment

My classic 1968 Oldsmoblie Cutlass convertible and 1968 MGB, when I was in the states got 16-18 MPG, as did my 1964 Studebaker GT Hawk. The first two are waiting for me in my garage back in NC, and I sold the third when I came over here. They are off the road now, and just run the engines and drive them a bit around the yard when I am home to keep everything working. Classics are more fun to drive, whatever the milage, expecially when you can put the top down. Of course, the no lead gas can be a pain, but at least there is a gas station in NC a mile from the house with a pump with fully leaded high octane aviation gas that you can drive right up to. Half a tank of that periodically helps give my valves the lead they need.

I have thought about buying a British classic or a classic Czech Tatra and driving it here, but with a driver on my staff, I really don't need to have my own car that much here. I have kept away from the Beaulieu classic car shows in the UK because there are so many neat British classics, I am sure I would be driving one back if I ever went to that show while working on this side of the pond. I attended a couple of times when I was living in the US, but trans-Atlantic shipping is enough to cool any purchase temptations.

Why buy an all-look-alike modern car with lots of things to go wrong and that depreciates in value, when you can buy a better looking classic that will hold its value or actually appreciate? The last few classics I have sold, including the Studebaker, a Triumph Spitfire, and a pair of hardtop Oldsmobile 442's, a 1968 and a 1969, I sold for more than I had in them after driving them a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinian View Post
            Why buy an all-look-alike modern car with lots of things to go wrong and that depreciates in value, when you can buy a better looking classic that will hold its value or actually appreciate? The last few classics I have sold, including the Studebaker, a Triumph Spitfire, and a pair of hardtop Oldsmobile 442's, a 1968 and a 1969, I sold for more than I had in them after driving them a few years.
            Why would I buy a new car? The new cars today are more reliable, definitely more comfortable, and have lots of neat amenities. Looks are open to debate and is in the eye of the beholder. I think the new vehicles are more fun to drive.

I can see 2 advantages to the old classics. One is the depreciation which you have mentioned. That part doesn't matter to me. The other thing is you could actually fix your own vehicles if that turned you on. You could get at everything. I used to do almost all my own work back in the 60's and early 70's and I am not a mechanic. I replaced water pumps, alternators, rebuilt carburetors, tuneups, brakes, etc. However the new cars ( not all ) don't require a lot of fixing.

This discussion of course depends on what vehicle you buy. There is no way I would ever consider buying these small cramped economy cars.
            John

Comment

Originally posted by JWC View Post
              The new cars today are more reliable, definitely more comfortable, and have lots of neat amenities.
              Important one you forgot is considerably SAFER as well. Crumple zones, multiple air bags, anti-lock brakes, stability control, three point seat belts, lighter and stronger material VERSUS.... lap belts and, umm, well, lap belts.

Granted, give me the 1968 Cutlass Convertable and I would be happy to drive it every day.

Comment

Originally posted by RX8 View Post
                Important one you forgot is considerably SAFER as well. Crumple zones, multiple air bags, anti-lock brakes, stability control, three point seat belts, lighter and stronger material VERSUS.... lap belts and, umm, well, lap belts.
                There are some experts who point out that various safety factors haven't improved the death and injury rate a whole lot -- people with newer cars have higher accident rates, and some researchers believe that it's because people trust the safety devices to the point they end up driving more recklessly. Others argue it's because people with new cars drive more, but even driving more can be the result of believing the new car is safer.

I kind of suspect that safer drivers are less likely to be buying new cars, especially when it comes to models that've been redesigned enough it's hard to get stats on them. Personally, I've known guys who discount various risks with "the car can handle that," and I'd rather be in an older car with a good defensive driver than in a new car with someone who trusts the car to keep them safe.

And I would be very happy to tool around town in one of Altman's Avanti IIs, myself.

Comment

Originally posted by lawren2 View Post
                  http://autos.yahoo.com/news/40-mpg-c...omparison.html

I just don't know folks. I have a 10 year old V6 Accord with all the bells and whistles that regularly and often exceeds 30mpg at 75-80mph on highways. (+10% more than estimated highway mileage of 27). I don't use the cruise control much because of congestion.

Why can't these newer, lighter, cars with smaller plants live up to the hype? Every single one fell 20% or lower than theoretical mileage. With that you get noise and plastic and unresponsiveness? Too much of a sacrifice for me.

Maybe someday I will force myself to stay at speed limit when I play my little mileage game and find out what the real numbers are as opposed to real life driving conditions.
                  As far as the congestion, have you tried an antihistamine?

We don't understand why cars today don't get 38 like our '83 Nissan 200 SX did.
                  RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

I just bought a Lexus RX450h which is supposed to be 30MPG. The first tank of gas yielded only 22 MPG and that was mostly on highway! I was planning on buying a RX350 but got talked into having a hybrid car and saving gas. I am quite upset to say the least. My 9 year old Highlander could easily achieve 22MPG...

Comment

I get around 38 with my Honda Civic, got about that with my last Saturn. I'm leaning towards a larger car when I decide to get a new one. Cruise control is not a gas saver.

Comment

Working...
                      X