Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why prolonged sex is dangerous: It can get you killed

Why prolonged sex is dangerous: It can get you killed
    Mating can be dangerous. At least 100 years ago, biologists began to speculate that sex in the animal kingdom could be a very risky business. The noises can attract predators, the male is distracted and he has less energy to fight off an attacker or to run away. Perhaps that is why males almost always attempt to finish so quickly. Surprisingly, however, there has been little evidence to support this hypothesis until recently. Two lab studies and one in the field have shown that mating increases the risk of predation in freshwater amphipods, water striders and locusts.

Now a new study shows very strong evidence of the effect in flies.

Stefan Greif and his colleagues from the Max Planck Institute for Ornithology in Seewiesen, Germany, and his colleagues filmed a colony of Natterer's bats living in a cowshed near Marburg with a large number of houseflies. The flies rarely fly at night, sitting or running on the ceiling where the background echoes hide them from the bats. Finding the flies is nearly impossible for the bats.

But when the flies copulate, the researchers reported Monday in the journal Current Biology, they make a distinctive noise that the bats can home in on. Of the 1,105 acts of copulation observed by the researchers, bats attacked 59 times, consuming both flies almost all the time — thereby obtaining a two-for-one dinner.

To show that it was not simply the increased size of the copulating couple that attracted the bats, the researchers pinned flies in a copulating position to the ceiling. The bats ignored them. But when the team played the sounds of copulation through speakers, the bats attacked the speakers.

Said Greif: "Sex kills."
    And if the bats aren't enough, be sure you don't upset your harem:

In an extraordinary case of jealousy, a Nigerian man - husband of six - was allegedly raped to death by his five spouses as he was paying too much attention to his sixth wife in east-central Benue state. Uroko Onoja, a wealthy businessman, was having sex with his youngest wife when the other five women attacked him with knives and sticks, demanding that he have sex with all of them at once.

Onoja, who resisted their attack, was overpowered by the women who ordered that the sex march begin with the youngest wife and to continue in that order to the top, Nigeria's Daily reported. Onoja stopped breathing when the fifth woman was making her way to the bed.

According Onoja's youngest wife, five other spouses ran into the forest realising that their husband is no more. Village head Okpe Odoh said that the matter had been reported to the police, who have already arrested two of the wives following the incident last week.
    “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Lawren
    ------------------------
    There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
    - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

And I thought you were referring to this story...

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/fi...-death/979270/

Five 'jealous' wives rape Nigerian man to death

Comment

Originally posted by ace2000 View Post
        And I thought you were referring to this story...

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/fi...-death/979270/

Five 'jealous' wives rape Nigerian man to death
        Look again. That was the second part of my post.
        “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

lucky man' what a way to go. We should all be so lucky. Just shocked that it took only 5.
          Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Originally posted by T. R. Oglodyte View Post
            Look again. That was the second part of my post.
            LOL - Yes, I did miss that... sorry, I got lost in the bat story.

Comment

And where, may I ask, is the infamous JLB on this most interesting topic?
              M. Henley

Comment

Someone must have told him to go jump in the lake.

Comment

There is that, Tony....
                  M. Henley

Comment

This doesn't surprise me one bit. I have always suspected that my wife might take me out. That "till death do ye part" line was my first clue. I am sure she will find another method.

Mark

Comment

This is no problem because after almost 30 years of being married to the same women we don't even talk for a long period of time!

Comment

Originally posted by PHILL12 View Post
                        This is no problem because after almost 30 years of being married to the same women we don't even talk for a long period of time!
                        How many women are you married to ?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyg View Post
                          How many women are you married to ?
                          I couldn't remember so I looked and it seems to be only one wife at this time! i think your just trying to be sly about spelling of women/woman but being married this long to one you need to think of them as more than one! When one is being mean I think of the nice one or sexy one and this comes in handy at least once a month!

PHIL
                          PHILL12
                          Last edited by PHILL12; 09-03-2012, 08:54 PM.

Comment

I guess we should all avoid the fly position?
                            Rick

"You've got as much time to get outta Dodge as it takes to saddle up"
                            Matt Dillon

Comment

Originally posted by ampaholic View Post
                              I guess we should all avoid the fly position?

Now that is funny.
                              Kay H

Comment

Working...
                              X