Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a Grand Prize Winner!

And I can't use the prize.

I got a call this morning that the ONE text entry (out of a possible one per day for a 53 day period) I made for a Bacardi sweepstakes was selected as the Grand Prize Winner. The prize:

A pair of VIP 3 day wristbands for Lollapalooza this weekend in Chicago:
    *Unlimited access to Lolla Lounge North and South
    *Access to VIP golf cart shuttles for transport between Lolla Lounge North and South
    *Viewing platforms with premium sightlines
    *Beer, wine and specialty libations all day
    *Catered food servings daily
    *Mini-Spa Treatments throughout the weeekend
    *Reserved Lolla Lounge air conditioned restrooms
    *Shaded and relaxed lounge seating

Retail value $2,100.

I leave for Myrtle Beach on Friday afternoon for vacation....
    scootr5
    Last edited by scootr5; 07-30-2012, 03:42 PM.
    Scott

Enjoy your prize !!!

Comment

Can you sell it? Or give it to your favorite forum member?

Comment

It's not technically transferable, but once I get the wristbands in hand (if accept the prize) I can do whatever I want with them. On the other hand, I'd have to pay about $525 in taxes next year when I file.
        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by scootr5 View Post
          It's not technically transferable, but once I get the wristbands in hand (if accept the prize) I can do whatever I want with them. On the other hand, I'd have to pay about $525 in taxes next year when I file.
          Wesley snipes taught me that we don't really have to pay taxes

Comment

Originally posted by Ridewithme38

Wesley snipes taught me that we don't really have to pay taxes
            Did you miss the rest of the lesson where he's still in jail until next summer?
            Scott

Comment

Did you miss the rest of the lesson where he's still in jail until next summer?
              Wow !!! Everyone pays some taxes in the good old USA !!!

Comment

I saw that some people sold VIP wrist bands on eBay. One set of 3 wristbands sold for $800.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey0531 View Post
                  I saw that some people sold VIP wrist bands on eBay. One set of 3 wristbands sold for $800.
                  That is $267/wrist band, so that is $534 for two. Given that the OP would have to claim the full value of $2100 on his taxes if he accepts the prize, it is doubtful he would even break even selling the wrist bands.

BTW, $525 in taxes seems low. That is only 25%, and this will be taxed at your marginal rate. Are you including state income tax as well?

Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by PigsDad View Post
                    That is $267/wrist band, so that is $534 for two. Given that the OP would have to claim the full value of $2100 on his taxes if he accepts the prize, it is doubtful he would even break even selling the wrist bands.

BTW, $525 in taxes seems low. That is only 25%, and this will be taxed at your marginal rate. Are you including state income tax as well?

Kurt

Doh! My marginal rate last year was 25%, but I forgot to include the state taxes
                    Scott

Comment

Thanks for reminding me about the state taxes Kurt. Someone from my office decided to take them in exchange for reimbursing me the amount of the taxes. I sent the forms in, and Bacardi is sending the wristbands overnight.

If I had a bit more time, I probably would have gone the eBay route. I saw a couple of completed listings for the same package I won that sold for around $2000.
                      Scott

Comment

That was sure nice of you, Scott. I'm sure they will have a good time. You hate to see a nice prize like that go unused!

Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by PigsDad View Post

Kurt
                          I understood that he won 6 wristbands. Enough wristbands for two people, for all 3 days.

Comment

Thanks for reminding me about the state taxes Kurt. Someone from my office decided to take them in exchange for reimbursing me the amount of the taxes. I sent the forms in, and Bacardi is sending the wristbands overnight.

If I had a bit more time, I probably would have gone the eBay route. I saw a couple of completed listings for the same package I won that sold for around $2000.
                            This is really nice of you I'm sure you made someone very happy.

Debi

Comment

Originally posted by mikey0531

I understood that he won 6 wristbands. Enough wristbands for two people, for all 3 days.
                              That's correct - two for each day. Cost to purchase them on the website was $1050.00 each.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X