Can anyone read Chinese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone read Chinese

We bought a porcelain painting yesterday and a Chinese friend could interpret the large font or characters on the right of the smaller characters but she said the characters on the left were old style. Also I cant find what the orange characters mean. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1880.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	923924

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1887.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	923925

I can't help with the characters, but the red ones in the circles are usually the chop mark--they're the artist's signature.

Comment

Originally posted by wackymother View Post
      I can't help with the characters, but the red ones in the circles are usually the chop mark--they're the artist's signature.
      Now if it were Korean....
      Pat
      *** My Website ***

Comment

Yes, I would know lots of people to help with the Korean! And I know lots of people who speak Chinese, but most of them can only read simplified Chinese, the newer symbols.

Comment

The artist name is Bishan Deng (邓碧珊,1874一l930). His other name is 铁肩子。 Both names are in the small fond note. I can't read the orange characters but they probably are his personal stamps which are the same as signature. If this is real and not a replica, it would be worth quite some money!

This link has more info about him: http://gotheborg.com/marks/porcelainpainters.shtml
          Search for name Deng Bishan or 鄧 碧珊.
          LisaH
          Last edited by LisaH; 04-28-2013, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaH View Post
            The artist name is Bishan Deng (邓碧珊,1874一l930). His other name is 铁肩子。 Both names are in the small fond note. I can't read the orange characters but they probably are his personal stamps which are the same as signature. If this is real and not a replica, it would be worth quite some money!
            Thank you so much LisaH. The interpretation we got from a friend was only the large characters on the right which she explained as " as wealth leaves wealth returns in abundance". Does that sound about right ? Thanks again.

Comment

The picture is focused on fish (same sound in Chinese as abundance or wealth) and lotus (same sound as continuous). So basically, the picture and the large characters can be interpreted as continued wealth year after year. Basically, good luck wish...This is quite common in Chinese culture.

Comment

A fortune cookie in oils ?

Comment

From what i can tell from the picture,my Chinese is a bit rusty, i believe the basic translation to be "JaJa, Silly Women pay too much for drawing of pet fish"

Comment

Originally posted by tonyg View Post
                    A fortune cookie in oils ?
                    Actually, in porcelain

Comment

I think it is a Folk Art, Feng Shui piece for a business. Nine is an auspicious number and having 8 gold and 1 black fish attracts good fortune. Your picture has more black fish than gold fish, I suspect it has been created as a Feng Shui remedy for a specific problem. A superstitious person may wish to consult a Feng Shui consultant to ensure the auspicious placement of the piece.

It's value is in the joy it gives you.
                      CarolF
                      Last edited by CarolF; 04-29-2013, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info on this piece. My wife wants me to move my marlin for this painting. I guess its a trade of one big fish for a picture of 9 on the north wall. This picture kind of glows and has a depth that is unlike most of the artwork we now have. I am reading feng shui articles now and found an article that says the black fish are protectors of bad luck. Also interesting to me is that koi swim upstream and up a waterfall to become dragons.

Bill

Comment

I think it's really beautiful. Good find!

Comment

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
                            My wife wants me to move my marlin for this painting. I guess its a trade of one big fish for a picture of 9 on the north wall.
                            Bill
                            Yep, I'm with your wife, I haven't heard of an auspicious marlin.

BTW I love Koi.
                            CarolF
                            Last edited by CarolF; 04-30-2013, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X