Americans Are Illiterate, particularly in civics/government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americans Are Illiterate, particularly in civics/government

Concerned about America's future? You should be. We, as a nation, are illiterate. College graduates are illiterate about civics/government--and who knows what else? But, perhaps even worse, the general populace is illiterate.

In 1993, the Department of Education stated that 47% of America's adult population performs only the simplest reading skills. " 'The vast majority of Americans do not know they do not have the skills to earn a living in our increasingly technological society,' says U.S. Secretary of Education, (1994) " (Marcia Kaplan, SF Chronicle, 5/95) "Each year over 700,000 graduate from high school unable to read their high school diploma. The US. Department of Education says that 20% of American adults are functionally illiterate. Functional illiterates can read words but they cannot comprehend their meanings, synthesize information or make decision based on what they read. And marginally illiterate people feel most comfortable receiving information in a visual format, relying more on television than print for information." http://www.efmoody.com/miscellaneous/illiteracy.html

College graduates reading proficiency has declined in the past 10 years; they cannot decipher even a thoughtful editorial, http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/...e_illiter.html and they know virtually nothing about civics/government--yet they vote in record numbers, knowing little, if anything about what they are voting for:

In a multiple choice exam,
    Only 17% know the Gettysburg Address is the source of "Government of the people, by the people, for the people."

Likewise, only 17% know that the Emancipation Proclamation freed slaves in the South, but not the North.

Only 58% know the Constitution establishes a separation of powers for governmental branches.

Only 48% were able to pick George Washington as general at Yorktown (against Ulysses S. Grant, Robert E. Lee, and William T. Sherman).

More than 60% could NOT identify the term lengths of senators and representatives.
    http://whatwilltheylearn.com/public/...essRelease.pdf

If that's what our college graduates know, what does the populace know?" http://www.thenewamerican.com/cultur...ic-civics-test
    Here are a few frightening figures certain to keep you up at night:

71% of Americans failed the civics knowledge test;
    51% of Americans could not name the three branches of government;
    The average score for college seniors on the civics knowledge test was 54.2% (an “F” by any standard);
    The average student’s test score improved only 3.8 points from freshman to senior year;
    Freshmen at Cornell, Yale, Princeton, and Duke scored better than seniors on the civics knowledge test.
    79% of elected officials that took the civics knowledge quiz did not know the Bill of Rights expressly prohibits the government from establishing a religion.
    30% of office holders did not know that “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” are the inalienable rights referred to in the Declaration of Independence.
    27% of politicians could not name even one right or freedom guaranteed by the First Amendment.
    43% did not know the purpose of the Electoral College.
    39% of lawmakers believe the power of declaring war belongs to the president.
    The average score for college professors who took the civics knowledge quiz was 55%.
    The major findings can be found here: http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/

To take the test yourself, go to http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/

(I didn't post this in the political forum because I don't see it as a political issue--it's a major American failing)
    "You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity." Adrian Rogers

And 39% of republicans did not know what country Benghazi was in.

Comment

I believe it was pretty clear I wasn't trying to make a political statement; it is not a political problem: it is an American problem.
      "You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity." Adrian Rogers

Comment

Our children have been dumbed down for years. Our educational system used to be the best but no longer.
        With C-Scope and Common Core now being used in most states, things are about to get even worse.
        If I had a child today, I would definitely home school them. Thankfully, my "children" are nearing 50 years of age. They received good educations.
        I saw a difference in what my grandchildren were being taught and what they know ... my fear is for future generations and for our country.

Again, this is not political - both parties are equally to blame for what has happened to our educational system.
        Judy

Comment

my son is a middle school math instructor. 80 percent of the 8th graders take Algebra II. that was in junior year when i went to high school. to see some of the things middle school students do in math, look at www.yummymath.com I know this is math and not government or civics, but they are taught these topics, and they learn them, but they don't hold on to the knowledge.

Comment

Sounds like he teaches in a good school, but there are movements afoot to dumb down math education.

New York Times, "Is Algebra Necessary?" : http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/op...agewanted=all&

Texas House bill to eliminate Algebra II as a graduation requirement: http://www.nrccte.org/news-events/ne...ill-algebra-ii

I don't know, now, about government/history/civics education, but while I taught in a very good school district, I watched those classes being dumbed down from elementary school through high school. One of the articles I read said that the South, which many of the educational "elite" regard as the "backwater," is actually doing the best job of teaching facts about government and how it works. I don't remember which one it was so I can't post a link, but since the South is in many ways more traditional, it wouldn't surprise me if its true.

Comment

The teachers today are required to spend a lot of time "teaching to the standardized tests" and administering the standardized tests. This all takes away from time that used to be spent on teaching the academics.

Comment

That's been true for quite a while; "No Child Left Behind" definitely formalized that process, and it has certainly been continued. The Texas legislature is debating cutting the required number of Texas tests, which would, I think, be a good thing. It seems like testing enough to secure accountability can be done without the amount of testing that is currently being done. Hopefully, other states are looking at frequency of testing also: it takes time away from instruction, and I doubt most people know how much it costs the school districts to administer the tests--money they could certainly find other uses for.

Comment

There were no civics classes in my grade school, middle school nor high school. There was one govt class, senior year. That was a long time ago, can't imagine curriculum has improved and instead likely more info dumped along with art and music and whatever else is deemed expendable so long as we field a football team ...

I retained items from history and social studies classes that were interesting to me (these were always very boring subjects, generally taught by the most monotone deadpan teach in the place ; I remembered what I had to for tests and then it was gone from my head). I would likely never get a "which general ..." question correct but could do well on branches/functions of govt, some constitution and Bill of Rights questions.

As I've gotten older it just hasn't been relevant to my life to know which general did what, memorizing war dates, so while some may call me illiterate, it's never been info I needed so call me whatever you want. I earn a good living and my boss doesn't care whether I can recite the Gettysburg address and I haven't found that lack of knowledge to diminish my happiness.

Maybe equally appalling will be that we never learned the Presidents in order. We may have studied a pres here and there but don't ask me to recite in order as I will stumble quickly and not recover until closer to my own lifetime. No geography either, altho we did spend time on countries of Europe so if we flash back to the late 70s I can put the countries that existed then on a map with their capitals. Not really handy now.

I have never had a burning thirst for the info to go find it myself and memorize it. While I have used algebra a lot in real life, it has never been an issue to not know who the 8th pres was or how long any war lasted.

My point is, if you want people to know this stuff, get it in the curriculum. In my case it was never presented as interesting and so it was uninteresting and I retained very little of the sparse material covered. And I certainly did not take up studying history as a hobby at any point in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstreet1 View Post
                    it is not a political problem: it is an American problem.
                    Agreed, at least in the sense that it's got nothing to do with Democrats or Republicans.

Originally posted by BoardGirl View Post
                    There was one govt class, senior year. That was a long time ago, can't imagine curriculum has improved and instead likely more info dumped along with art and music and whatever else is deemed expendable so long as we field a football team ...
                    I had one government class, in ninth grade, and I dreaded it, partly because a class presentation was part of it (hate public speaking to this day), thought it would be THE WORST. Instead, it was one of the best classes I've ever had. First week of class, the teacher said something like, "The rule in this classroom is that you must support your political ideas with real life examples. If you think something is a good idea, then you show me when it ever worked the way you say it will. And if five different countries have tried it, and it's never improved things, then I'm going to say that's a bad idea."

Which in practice meant that all kinds of things I'd believed before hand, I discovered weren't supported with any good evidence a'tall. I don't think that teacher was deliberately provocative -- he reminded me of teachers in other fields who just loved their subject -- but in practice, people would do enormous amounts of work just to try to prove him wrong. Which he generally wasn't -- as he pointed out, "Look, I've had a lot longer to look into things than you have, so I've got time on my side. But I'm not here to convince you I'm right, I'm here to convince you to think for yourselves and to be thinking citizens."

I'm not convinced we need to know the names of generals or the dates of battles, either. But I do think we need to know the bill of rights and the constitution, because it is our job to hold our elected officials responsible according to them. Especially since some of the built-in protectors have failed over the years. For instance, the Presidential oath is, "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States." We've had a goodly number of Presidents who seem determined to overturn the Constitution, and I would guess that few of them elected in my lifetime never even consider the Constitution except when it gets in their way. Early Presidents, in contrast, generally followed Washington's lead in discussing the Constitution extensively in their State of the Union addresses. I don't always agree with their interpretations (see: Andrew Jackson defying the Supreme Court), but at least they saw it as part of their job!

A good understanding of the debates over the Constitution are also useful now --the Anti-Federalists were pretty accurate predictors of things that have happened in my lifetime, and I have found their discussions on why and how things turned out this way pretty useful sometimes when trying to figure out "where things went so wrong." Although, while I remember a lot of ideas from stuff I've read then, generally haven't a clue who actually said it. But with Google so easily available, remembering ideas is usually enough, and I can track down the quote without too much effort. OTOH, while I doubt my eldest son could pass this test (for years I was astonished at how fast he could forget history; now I'm astonished when he remembers anything historical), he does research anything he votes on, so there's always that approach.

Comment

TWO BIG THUMBS UP! I would add that most people should be able to guess the general at Yorktown when presented with very recognizable names of American generals: George Washington, Robert E. Lee, U. Grant, and Sherman. On a multiple choice exam, having been told it was a Revolutionary War Battle, I don't think it's a stretch to know that George Washington was around pretty early in the country's history and the other names were "somewhat later."

Comment

Working...
                      X