Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forget Ebola the Anti Vax movement is killing us

http://qz.com/274230/forget-ebola-th...ify-americans/

The first patient to come down with the deadly Ebola virus has turned up in Dallas. On Sep. 19, the patient had traveled there from Liberia, which along with Guinea and Sierra Leone is one of three West African countries ravaged by the virus. He’s not actually the first Ebola patient to be in the US; four American medical missionaries working in the region have been evacuated to the US for treatment since the summer. And though we’ve already discussed why it’s highly unlikely that the virus will spread, the fact that the patient was symptomatic for at least four days before being placed in isolation is likely to press the American panic button.
    But if Americans really want a viral epidemic to freak out about, here it is:
    Flying at MACH4 +

I have had so many vaccines but I have also had most every childhood disease. As a child I had whooping cough to the point of being in the hospital for 4 months. I also went through mumps, mesals, chicken poxs and a bunch of other diseases that I was vacinated for. As an adult I have had many more vaccinations including rabies. The only one I want now is the shingle vaccination.

While my family has had no adverse effects from vaccinations I know others who were not so lucky so I can see both sides of the vaccine argument.

Comment

I too have had every vaccine under the sun in my 30 plus years of working in hospitals.
      We were mandated to get all our vaccines including a yearly flu vaccine, hepatitis and yes I've even had to have the rabies series when a patient died before we figured out he had rabies.

I think that these vaccines are very effective but the way we administer them to young children with immature immune systems is IMO the problem.
      We overwhelm them with 3 viruses at the same time with for example, the MMR, instead of giving it weeks apart as 3 separate vaccines.

Obviously most of the herd of people vaccinated have no ill effects but unfortunately for the growing number of autistic children it is a game changer.
      And there really isn't a reason not to err on the side of caution and not throw the baby out with the bathwater on this matter.
      Can we really afford as a nation to ignore the increase in autism we have been seeing in the past 30 years?
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21623535

Herd immunity only works if most of the herd is vaccinated.
      So it's time for the flu shot. Anybody get theirs yet?

Comment

It just took me 80 minutes to get home (should have taken 20). One of the reasons was that someone was vomiting on the subway platform at 14th street - after I hoofed it up there because there were no trains at Christopher Street, one of the cops clearing the platform tried to make me exit saying ebola-scary things like "we don't know what she has..." The people with her were asking for help and the cops wouldn't go near them. I do hope this scare gets contained and put in some perspective soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Glitter Brunello View Post
          It just took me 80 minutes to get home (should have taken 20). One of the reasons was that someone was vomiting on the subway platform at 14th street - after I hoofed it up there because there were no trains at Christopher Street, one of the cops clearing the platform tried to make me exit saying ebola-scary things like "we don't know what she has..." The people with her were asking for help and the cops wouldn't go near them. I do hope this scare gets contained and put in some perspective soon.
          I think there would be more than a few public officials who are pleased to have such an effective method for crowd control.

Comment

Originally posted by CarolF View Post
            I think there would be more than a few public officials who are pleased to have such an effective method for crowd control.
            Oh, I do love having another cynic around!

Comment

I really dislike the anti-vaccine lobby. They've caused so much damage to public health. Previously eradicated diseases are coming back due to the success of their scaremongering and people who complacently refuse to listen to medical experts.
              Syd

Comment

I hope so too! Unfortunately, I can see this being an even bigger problem in the future.

Originally posted by Glitter Brunello View Post
                Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

Originally posted by chriskre View Post
                  I too have had every vaccine under the sun in my 30 plus years of working in hospitals.
                  We were mandated to get all our vaccines including a yearly flu vaccine, hepatitis and yes I've even had to have the rabies series when a patient died before we figured out he had rabies.

I think that these vaccines are very effective but the way we administer them to young children with immature immune systems is IMO the problem.
                  We overwhelm them with 3 viruses at the same time with for example, the MMR, instead of giving it weeks apart as 3 separate vaccines.

Obviously most of the herd of people vaccinated have no ill effects but unfortunately for the growing number of autistic children it is a game changer.
                  And there really isn't a reason not to err on the side of caution and not throw the baby out with the bathwater on this matter.
                  Can we really afford as a nation to ignore the increase in autism we have been seeing in the past 30 years?
                  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21623535

Herd immunity only works if most of the herd is vaccinated.
                  So it's time for the flu shot. Anybody get theirs yet?
                  This is exactly how I feel. In fact, with two of our kids we broke up their shots so that they did get, for MMR, the measles vaccine in one visit, the mumps vaccine in another, and the rubella in a third. It took a little while longer to get the shots and the doctor had to order the individual vaccinations for us, which she was more than happy to do.

There are thousands of children who can't get their immunizations because of serious health problems. If you want to protect those children as well as your own, you make sure that your children get immunized, and you're grateful that your kids are healthy enough to get them.

Comment

Making vaccines is a big business for profit and because of this fact a person should take caution with any vaccine they decide to take. An example are some of the newer vaccines like the HPV vaccine gaurdasil. While its a good ideal for sexually active teens to get this vaccine a better ideal would be education. In India, the hpv vaccine testing showed that many people had adverse reactions including death.

Recently a person was awarded almost a million dollars for an injury caused by the common MMR vaccine. This boy suffered an enlargement of his brain causing add. Interestingly, the manufacturer doesn't pay this lawsuit because they are protected. This award is taken out of the vaccine tax which means the taxpayers get to pay this.

The odd thing about ebola is there is no reliable test. The PCR test is the test that the CCD is relying on and according to the DOD this test is only a presumptive test that requires a host of additional information and even with this information it is not reliable. This makes anyone who throws up or has symptoms of any flu or cold a suspect, especially if they were in any contact with some one from an infected region until ebola can be ruled out. Contact can be indirect as in touching an infected article.

Comment

Working...
                    X