Lost power last night on the coldest night of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost power last night on the coldest night of the year

We went to bed early, So it was not too bad. Around 4 am I woke up and it must have been 40 degrees in my house. To make matters worse, I had to go outside to collect all my garbage that was blown away from the wind and was down the block. I was going to put on the fireplace, but figured since the fans were not going to work it was a waste since it is on another floor. My son at least kept warm, He has a gas cast iron stove in the basement. I was sort of, ready for this. I bought a large generator this past summer. Only problem is I never opened the box to put it together.
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
    We went to bed early, So it was not too bad. Around 4 am I woke up and it must have been 40 degrees in my house. To make matters worse, I had to go outside to collect all my garbage that was blown away from the wind and was down the block. I was going to put on the fireplace, but figured since the fans were not going to work it was a waste since it is on another floor. My son at least kept warm, He has a gas cast iron stove in the basement. I was sort of, ready for this. I bought a large generator this past summer. Only problem is I never opened the box to put it together.
    Oh no. It's like Siberia outside last night and today!!!

Was it a wide spread outage Frank?

Get warm and then get someone in to help you put the generator. An electrician is necessary too. So you are ready for the next time.
    Lawren
    ------------------------
    There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
    - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

Originally posted by lawren2 View Post
      Oh no. It's like Siberia outside last night and today!!!

Was it a wide spread outage Frank?

Get warm and then get someone in to help you put the generator. An electrician is necessary too. So you are ready for the next time.
      It came back on early this morning. Not sure how far it ran. Looked out and it was dark all over. Funny thing, I never called Con Ed but they called me this morning at 10 am to confirm if the power was on. Right now they're on the block fixing things

Comment

glad you got the power back

Comment

That's been a big concern for me in winter. Without power, I have no heat or water. I do have a wood stove for emergency use and I've already cleared out around it should I need to crank it up. The good thing is that my neighbors on both sides have generators now--- and since they got them we haven't lost power for more than 4 hours. (knocks on desk). Wind chill here is currently -10 and it will get to zero sometime tonite. I think I'll go out a finish shoveling the driveway so we can get out quickly for a shopping trip before the 15+ predicted snowfall starts Sunday night.

Comment

been cold here too
            RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

I was so worried about that last week...we lost power for two weeks after Sandy and I was just sick thinking we were going to lose power again. We dodged the bullet this time.

We also got a generator. A little propane generator, with a long industrial cord, and a power box. We really just wanted to keep the sump pump and maybe the refrigerator on. You can't run the furnace using a small portable generator, they tell me; you need a wired-in generator for that.

Comment

I was called Home Depot to see if I could return my Generator so I can get the next size up that is on Sale now.

IMO this is a steal! http://www.homedepot.com/p/Smarter-T...Z2bctkbZ2bctkc

This is the one I bought this past Sept which is currently $100 more than the bigger one on sale http://www.homedepot.com/p/Smarter-T...Z2bctk8Z2bctk9

They said they can not take it back after 30 days because it is Gasoline powered. I never even opened the box.

Comment

No weather complaints here ! Its should be cold, like freezing cold, but were in the upper 40's. I see weeds already trying to emerge. We might be spraying early this year.

Im glad most of you are somewhat prepared for events like the power outage. If you get tiered of the cold maybe you can move to Bubaland with JLB.

Comment

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
                    Im glad most of you are somewhat prepared for events like the power outage. If you get tiered of the cold maybe you can move to Bubaland with JLB.
                    Let's get this right.

It's cold in Bubbaland and warm in Crackerland.
                    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Yeah!

Pity the OF Herd having to weather the winter without the JLB warmup help.
                      M. Henley

Comment

Well I hope you have power tomorrow so you can watch the SEAHAWKS crush the Patsies.

Comment

Wow, this is scary.

And people think hurricanes are bad here in FL.
                          I'll take a hurricane over these arctic temps any day.
                          At least I won't freeze to death, maybe sweat to death but not freeze.
                          At least we can take a cold shower and cool off.

And how come you guys don't have gas heat?

Comment

We do have gas heat. But the regulator on the gas furnace runs on electricity.

Comment

Sorry guys

Busy weekend here in SWFlorida I took out the boat for a little ride, also bought chlorine for the pool

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	923323

Comment

Working...
                              X