Second Home questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rapmarks View Post
    we set the humidistat on. the first year we did all the other stuff, but found it unnecessary

got a surprise from the mail man today. lots of back mail from May just delivered.
    Pat, I'm chuckling. I think you're jinxing yourself.

You sounded like mail is no problem, then . . .

Now you're saying it's unnecessary to do stuff when you leave the house.

Watch out!!!!
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

no I meant the mothballs, or whatever you call it. Oh yes, we do plenty, we set the humidistat, have neighbor check, put oil down garbage disposal, bleach in toilets, and saran wrap, clubs and golf shoes in t he house. all soft cushions in the house, all closet doors open. turn off water at the street, and with the utility company, unplug water heater, yada yada yada. this time i put my bathing suits in the refrigerator (some people actually put their golf shoes in the refrigerator) and shutters up around the house .

Comment

Another question, if you have a yard sprinkler system is your home that you are not going to be living in during the summer, how do you handle it?

Comment

Originally posted by riverdees05 View Post
          Another question, if you have a yard sprinkler system is your home that you are not going to be living in during the summer, how do you handle it?
          Unless folks in our neck o Florida have a well, for irrigation, you can't afford it.

DW wanted a lawn, so I seeded and watered. $250 water bill.

The house we bought a year ago, and moved into in January, has the remnants of a really old well, so it's a possibility now.
          RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

ours gets watered twice a week, it is paid for by our HOA, the subdivision has our own irrigation tank. We turn our water off; it is coming from a different system.

Comment

Humidifier Question

We have a humidifier on our gas furnace with humidifier in our new condo. My thinking is that I would keep the winter temperature at 55-58 F and humidity around 45%. That should be good for all the wood flooring, furniture, drywall etc.. Also, I planned to turn the water off at the main inside water valve. So if I do that then I won't have any water going to the humidifier. Has anyone solve this problem on their winter vacation hom

Comment

Originally posted by riverdees05 View Post
                Humidifier Question

We have a humidifier on our gas furnace with humidifier in our new condo. My thinking is that I would keep the winter temperature at 55-58 F and humidity around 45%. That should be good for all the wood flooring, furniture, drywall etc.. Also, I planned to turn the water off at the main inside water valve. So if I do that then I won't have any water going to the humidifier. Has anyone solve this problem on their winter vacation hom
                We used to open the doors that leads to any pipes or fausetes, Shut the water and set the heat on the lowest setting. Never used a humidifer but if you want they sell them with a built in tank.
                Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

we set out northern home to 55, and do not have a humidistat for that home.

Comment

Our Northern home is 55 or 60. Heat pump, no humidifier. No problems. so far

Comment

I should add to my previous comments about the USPS that although they do not allow temporary forwarding orders for more than 6 months, they do allow you to extend it if you do so before the end of the six months.

So, why not just allow it for, say, seven month, to begin with?

Comment

I don't see that this thread is concerned with "Residency", but that can be a major consideration.

Now, for instance, DW wants us to sign up for a Medicare supplement, except our "Social Security" address has to be in Missouri. I cannot get her to understand that if we are Florida residents, we cannot have a Missouri address with the Feds. To me it's a no-brainer; to her it's no big deal.

Comment

Why does it have to be in Missouri?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rapmarks View Post
                            Why does it have to be in Missouri?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            A requirement of the plan she wants for us . . . "Essence".

Comment

When I read stuff like this:

https://medicare.com/resources/chang...another-state/

the wording seems to be that your social security address has to be your principal residence, and you Medicare plan has to be one offered there.

I don't find anything that says that you can declare your principal residence at one place, and have a social security address/Medicare plan somewhere else.

It also doesn't make sense that you could, but there are a lot of things on this topic that don't make sense . . . like insurance companies wanting you to insure your vehicles, boats, etc., where you use them most, not where you reside. Don't get me started on State Farm!!!!

Comment

Here's another concern, since we just received our absentee ballots . . . where you vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X