Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience with snow removal service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience with snow removal service?

Two weeks from today I am going to have a total knee replacement.
    Somewhere along the line, I got old. Then, a week later, the DW is having cataract surgery. I guess we both got old. Bad thing is that we are really not that old to be 'old'.

Surgery and recovery is going to keep me from running the snowblower for a couple months.
    Since my snowblower is single stage, I don't think the DW can push it through the pile the plow leaves behind. So, I am now in search of a snow removal service.

Having never done this, what should I be asking...other than price?
    Don

I'd also ask for a couple of references that you can check out, and a certificate of insurance naming you as Certificate Holder from whomever you decide to go with.
    Scott

Comment

Good luck with your surgery. We are in a similar situation. DH is going to have heart surgery this winter. We just ordered a bigger snow blower that is self propelled and has 6 speeds and an electric starter in hopes that I will be able to manage it. We are lucky that we only have a couple of snowstorms each year. In our area, the landscapers that do lawn maintenance during the warm months often have plowing services in the winter. The only problem is that you are at their mercy timewise. I am fortunate that I work in a school, so we are closed when it snows, but DH works for a hospital and staying home is not an option for him.
      Jacki

Comment

Keep your fingers crossed for mild weather. Where I live the weather has gone from very cold and snowy this time of year to kind of warm. I had to use the mower two weeks ago and it looks like I might be mowing again if it doesn't start to freeze. I have the plow ready and plenty of de-icer just in case.

Good luck on your recoveries Don.

Comment

Wow! Sorry to hear all of that . . knees, hearts, snow.

For some reason it reminds me of when I was in college. The campus was just right across the street, but it got close once . . . just once.

We were still able to get the several miles to buy a keg. Actually, back then it was a keg and cigarettes. I don't believe it was proper to drink without smoking.

RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

The cataract surgery is easy, but I have postponed the knee replacement. Hope it goes really well for you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I ran a plow servive for several years. Ask when they will show up. I would not plow if the snow was under 1 inch and had a negotiated time frame (usually 4 to 8 hours) to show up and perform the work. My corporate customers who paid a premium always had priority.

Comment

Invest on a 2 or 3 stage, I have a 30 inch Cub Cadit. It steers itself very easy to use. I do my entire block with mine. This unit is the same as mine only cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PRO-PR...et+snow+blower
                Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

I received a few quotes back. After picking myself off the floor and talking with the DW, she said she will learn how to use the single stage snowblower. Between that and the shovel, she should be able to clear the driveway.

Hoping for a mild winter until I am walking well again.
                  Don

Comment

Originally posted by vintner View Post
                    I received a few quotes back. After picking myself off the floor and talking with the DW, she said she will learn how to use the single stage snowblower. Between that and the shovel, she should be able to clear the driveway.

Hoping for a mild winter until I am walking well again.
                    Save your back and get a 2 stage even a 24 inch will work good
                    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

We have a wicked steep 700 foot driveway with a half circle at the top. It has a bridge that goes over a stream as well. Lined by woods. We have always used a plow guy and he charges $45 per plow. Can pay him end of season or a few at a time or however we want to do it. My husband uses a small snow blower for the deck and other areas of the driveway that the plow can't get to, as well as a path around the house to the oil and propane tanks (for our generator). He also uses a shovel for some areas. I guess if we were unable to do that I would try to find a local kid or someone to do that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
                        Save your back and get a 2 stage even a 24 inch will work good
                        Not his back.

RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Originally posted by vintner View Post
                          Two weeks from today I am going to have a total knee replacement.
                          Somewhere along the line, I got old. Then, a week later, the DW is having cataract surgery. I guess we both got old. Bad thing is that we are really not that old to be 'old'.

Surgery and recovery is going to keep me from running the snowblower for a couple months.
                          Since my snowblower is single stage, I don't think the DW can push it through the pile the plow leaves behind. So, I am now in search of a snow removal service.

Having never done this, what should I be asking...other than price?
                          If you are not perfectly healthy its better not to use snowblowers. You will have to give so much of strain and effort while using blowers. The best option is hiring the service of a snow removal company. For the past few years i have been using the LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR. as it is one of the best companies that has the snow removal service. Their service is appreciable. I hope the information will be useful to you.
                          jackio
                          Gold Contributor
                          Last edited by jackio; 01-30-2017, 06:17 AM. Reason: Links to commercial sites are prohibited

Comment

Working...
                          X