No announcement yet.

Major life change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We just did this. We also moved about 1000 miles. We decided to not move furniture. Decided it was time to buy new! We sorted and knew we had much less space. We ended up hiring someone to do an estate sale for us. If you decide to go this way, let me know, and I have a few pointers. To complicate our move, we also had a condo that we will be selling and are moving into a slightly larger condo nearby. Bottom-line is we had 2 houses of stuff to dispose of.

Nancy

Comment

An Estate Sale is a good idea. You just have to get someone that will do it right. I have a friend that does Estate Sales and he gets more money for his customers than they would get on their own. I've seen others that do a lousy job and get all they can out of it for themselves. Estatesales.com is a place you might go to find someone to do an estate sale, but like everything else, you have to check them out.

Comment

An estate sale sounds good.
        Nancy, did you have to dispose of both houses at the same time?
        Jacki

Comment

We have not sold our old condo yet. Probably in Fall. Find someone with a good track record. The first person we had to give us an estimate, did not want to do ours, not quality enough for him. . We were quite satisfied with who we used. Our contract had them dispose (donate) what did not sell as we were in a hurry to leave Virginia.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayFal View Post
            Closer to me

We just "sorta moved" out of our home of 26 years. Start going thru stuff now, sell on Craigs List or give it to charity. Ask Th kids if they want anything and then have them take the items NOW.
            Big Brother/Big Sisters will pick up at your house. Two times a week drop off a car load of stuff at Savers near Costco on your way home from work.

We used our finished basement as a storage area after the kids outgrew using that space (no accessible attic). It took me 3 weeks to go thru all the stuff and divided the space into keep and give away. DH went thru the garage. And we generally looked around the house for what we didn't want. Then we called 1-800-Got Junk. Wow, were they great. They came and looked at th stuff as I recall then came back with a crew of 6 and moved it all in abiut 3 hours from the basement, first and second floor. They even took an old washing machine that we had recently replaced. I believe the cost was about $750. Cost is based on how many dumpsters they need to bring.

My issue is that we still own our old home and rent it furnished. So now I have two house with "stuff" Help me!!!

Best of luck with the move !!!
            I did not know you were moving. I thought you just had your home raised last year. Where are you moving to?
            Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
              I did not know you were moving. I thought you just had your home raised last year. Where are you moving to?
              The house raising and total gut renovation took 13 months.
              We permanently moved into the house three weeks ago.
              Pat
              *** My Website ***

Comment

Oh boy, an adventure! We did this when we moved to Florida in 2004. In the end, we sold furniture through newspaper ads, had a giant garage sale, called an auctioneer,, and left with about 1/3 of our original possessions. Did I regret getting rid of stuff...not at all, except for the rocking chair I rocked my baby in many moons ago. Lots of work, but on to the next phase. In addition, we too had to deal with serious health issues. Happy to report that things are better on that front than they have been in years, maybe decades. Wishing the same for you, jackio.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayFal View Post
                  The house raising and total gut renovation took 13 months.
                  We permanently moved into the house three weeks ago.
                  Congratulations! It is always a relief to be done a renovation.

Comment

How is it going?

Comment

How exciting!
                      I already live in a 1 bedroom condo so I'm hoping to upsize one day.
                      I'm already busting at the seams because I run my business out of my house too.
                      I wish I had a storage unit to put all my inventory in but then it's a pain to go there every day.
                      So for now I just hide it all in cabinets and armoires.

Comment

We have gone to contract, and now are trying to get rid of what we can. The veterans organizations come almost weekly to pick up, and some stuff is going on Facebook free or cheap. We are donating a crib and changing table to a home for single mothers. Surprisingly my kids want very little, even though much of the stuff was theirs that they never took with them when they left.
                        Jacki

Comment

My kids and grands did not want much of my stuff. Sent some of oldest son's stuff home with his wife. Figure they pitched it. We saved all of this for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy View Post
                            My kids and grands did not want much of my stuff. Sent some of oldest son's stuff home with his wife. Figure they pitched it. We saved all of this for nothing.
                            Right? I guess we held more sentimental value to things than they did.
                            Jacki

Comment

Originally posted by jackio View Post
                              Originally posted by Nancy View Post
                              My MIL has my wifes porta crib. It was used by my wife, her sister, her brother, my son and my 4 nephews. So in some cases it was worth keeping
                              Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Originally posted by jackio View Post
                                Not always. I have very little of my parents' things and I'm even trying to get rid of a couple of chairs my mom handed down to me. I've never really been a collector of "stuff". My older daughter is much more of a collector than I am. She has Mom's china (I didn't like it).
                                Luanne

Comment

Working...
                                X